collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Old Firm  (Read 18340 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Old Firm
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
The only reason people who live outside of Glasgow support Rangers or Celtic is because they are either:

1. Glory hunting - choosing a successful side to tag on to. How can you take anyone seriously who does that

2. Using the club to represent their religion. How can you take anyone seriously who does that

As bad as Man United fans from Watford ( who all sem to have a nan from Salford).

Spot on Chico.  I couldn't give a flying fuck about either team, and one of the remaining good things about football is that that pair of shit clubs doesn't play in the English league.  All that sectarian bollocks is beyond sad.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
The only reason people who live outside of Glasgow support Rangers or Celtic is because they are either:

1. Glory hunting - choosing a successful side to tag on to. How can you take anyone seriously who does that

2. Using the club to represent their religion. How can you take anyone seriously who does that

As bad as Man United fans from Watford ( who all sem to have a nan from Salford).

Spot on Chico.  I couldn't give a flying fuck about either team, and one of the remaining good things about football is that that pair of shit clubs doesn't play in the English league.  All that sectarian bollocks is beyond sad.

Totally agree with the pair of you. Fuck Rangers and Fuck Celtic.

None of those teams get me tingling

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
They kicked fuck out of Manchester 2 or 3 years ago too, am afraid it's drink that's the biggest problem, they just don't stop .

My friend's skiffle band (Railroad Bill) were playing in a pub in Manchester on that day.

The Rangers fans couldn't understand why a band playing music from c.1957 on washboard. banjo and tea-chest bass, couldn't play "Simply the Best" by Tina Turner.

In the end, they improvised after threats of violence with beer bottles.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
They kicked fuck out of Manchester 2 or 3 years ago too, am afraid it's drink that's the biggest problem, they just don't stop .

Indeed they did, absolute scum of the earth.  Rangers fans make Knuckledraggers look like a sunday school outing.

Offline peter w

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
I really couldn't care less about Celtic/Rangers in terms of a Scottish angle. Its always interesting to see who has won for me, and I'll sometimes have a peek when they're playing. I only saw the final whistle scenes on the news and thought they were brilliant in a funny type of way.

Not sure what was said by McCoist must have said something as Lennon responded with a shouting of 'He did touch me/barge me' or whatever it was. I mean they're both classless but it was a great advert for the rivallry around the pitch.

As for the follow ons, such as trouble between the fans to domestic violence that's another thing. Although how they can hold players/teams responsible for the actions of thugs and idiots is beyond me. Its one thing doing it to another football fan - but to go home, beat the wife (and them Oldham bastards as man city used to sing) is quite disingenuous and shouldn't be mentioned in connection with any issues raised about public standards.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
OK I consider myself open minded I am clearly in a minority on this forum in thinking that a villa game vs celtic or rangers is more appealing than a game vs wigan or blackburn. The buzz I get out ot watching rangers against celtic is not shared by everyone and they'd prefer to watch the fun of wigan blackburn or fulham sunderland, each to their own I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:50:04 PM by lovejoy »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »
OK I consider myself open minded I am clearly in a minority on this forum in thinking that a villa game vs celtic or rangers is more appealing than a game vs wogan or blackburn. The buzz I get out ot watching rangers against celtic is not shared by everyone and they'd prefer to watch the fun of wigan blackburn or fulham sunderland each to their own I suppose.
Why not watch Molde vs Rosenborg or Grasshoppers vs FC Zurich?

It's just as interesting as Rangers vs Celtic but with far less twats involved.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
OK I consider myself open minded I am clearly in a minority on this forum in thinking that a villa game vs celtic or rangers is more appealing than a game vs wogan or blackburn. The buzz I get out ot watching rangers against celtic is not shared by everyone and they'd prefer to watch the fun of wigan blackburn or fulham sunderland each to their own I suppose.

Go ahead you enjoy the atmosphere and the passion of those games then. Each to their own as I said.

Online Dave

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »

Go ahead you enjoy the atmosphere and the passion of those games then. Each to their own as I said.
Yes, because the passion and the atmosphere at one irrelevant and tedious local derby will be so much worse than at another.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »
Please tell me if you watch the modle derbys every time they're plaed and that you ignore the glasgow ones?

Online Dave

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
Please tell me if you watch the modle derbys every time they're plaed and that you ignore the glasgow ones?
Nope, I'm quite happy to accept that one is as pointless as the other.

I'd be interested to hear your logic as to why the Glasgow one is more interesting and important though.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
What's a modle derby?

Online lovejoy

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
Dave I find the old firm games vibrant lively and exciting. the undercurrent of aggression and importance of the occaision add to this mix. They are very rarely dull. I am not sure what the beef is here if you find them dull then don't watch. I still stand by my earlier assertion that if Celtic and Rangers were to play in the premier league the attendance would be bigger than for the blackburn, wigan games, the teams they'd likely replace.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
What's a modle derby?

Dunno but it sounds exciting doesn't it?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
Dave I find the old firm games vibrant lively and exciting. the undercurrent of aggression and importance of the occaision add to this mix. They are very rarely dull. I am not sure what the beef is here if you find them dull then don't watch. I still stand by my earlier assertion that if Celtic and Rangers were to play in the premier league the attendance would be bigger than for the blackburn, wigan games, the teams they'd likely replace.

I agree that there would be a lot more interest, but would it be worth all the trouble that fixtures like these would inevitably cause. Not IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal