collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby Agbonlahor  (Read 136955 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Gabby's future
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »
Gabby agbonlahor on Instagram:

"The time has come to officially retire and watch Aston Villa as a fan,"

"If I would have been told at school I would play nearly 400 league games, be the record Premier League goalscorer for Aston Villa, captain the great club and represent England at senior level, I would have laughed.

"I want to say thank you to all the supporters, the staff I have worked with at a great club and my ex-team-mates.

"The thought of playing for another team or playing against Aston Villa was something I just couldn't do. I look forward to whatever the future holds."

Or in other words, "I tried to find another mob gullible enough to pay me massive wages for contributing nothing, but couldn't find anyone stupid enough so had to pack it in". 

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #391 on: March 28, 2019, 06:31:32 PM »
I hold fond memories of him. He let us down and made mistakes, but he was a good servant for a while too.

Thanks for the good memories.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »
There were some good times. I wish him good luck for the future.

Think this is about where I am. I'm not disappointed that he's no longer collecting a wage, but in ten years when I think of him I'm more likely to think of the winners at Small Heath or The Theatre of Hype than the seasons that might have been.

Plus Jane will beat me up in the Bartons if I slag him off.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #393 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
Retired as 32 !!
I'd like to say he was a wasted talent but I don't believe he ever had any other than being able to run fast.

Disagree. Look between between 07-10. Yes he had flaws even at his peak but guy was developing into a very decent striker at premier league level.

Was never the same after MON left and yes a waste of time last 3-4 years of his career here. Lerner giving him a new deal in September 2014 was a typically poor business decision.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Like a lot of middle range Premier League players of his generation he stopped trying because he no longer had to to make ends meet.  See also Sinclair, Scott.  He will forever be soured by his conduct throughout the relegation season - namely, being obscenely overweight for a PL footballer, the six touches in the first half away at Spurs including two kick offs, the shisha smoking, the trip to Dubai when he flew back in at 7 in the morning on the day of training before a crucial match, the total lack of respect for Garde in particular and the nauseating, ridiculous and entirely unmerited shushing of the crowd when he scored his one goal at home to Norwich.  Symptomatic of the average, lazy, rich footballer.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #395 on: March 29, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »

Offline KRS

« Reply #396 on: March 29, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
I don't get it...is he an American Bluenose trying to take the piss out of a Villa player that pretty much always scored against them?

Offline joniboy

« Reply #397 on: March 29, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
Often thought he was a sprinter who sometimes scored goals. Like has been already stated, if he had time to think he'd often mess it up.

Meh ???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:54:56 PM by joniboy »

Offline Tuscans

« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2019, 03:53:36 PM »
I don't get it...is he an American Bluenose trying to take the piss out of a Villa player that pretty much always scored against them?
Ha, no....he's being doing it for a few years. He's The American Soccer Fan on fb and twitter taking the piss out of American soccer fans/ English Football. He does them all, seems to have a bit more hatred for Leeds than anyone else. Calls WBA, West Birmingham Baggie Birds, Sheff Wed the Sheffield Nocturnal Birdie Owls and Derby, Derby County Ram Billy Goat Sheep Fans AKA the Soccer Lamb Chops. Some of his vids and posts are quite funny if you're into silly shit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:55:31 PM by Tuscans »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »
He's about as funny as someone else's fart in a lift.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
He's as funny as Darren Farley.

Offline Tuscans

« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
He's about as funny as someone else's fart in a lift.
C'mon, farts are always funny.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
Happy to remember those winning goals at the Sty, on your way now Gabby, good luck with whatever you do!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #403 on: March 30, 2019, 06:55:02 AM »
Some good memories of his early career, as some have already said, top defences would often shit themselves when Gabby was in form. He never really fulfilled his potential though and to me, he just looked gormless most of the time.

Unfortunately, it will be the latter years that he will be mostly remembered for- a so-called senior pro taking the piss out of his employer and the supporters, for a number of years. Always remember him trying a bit round contract renewal time, then slacking off again one it was signed.

Sorry, but a few goals against Blues and a few England caps, doesn’t make him a Villa great in my eyes, when you look at it in the full context. Cheers for the good times Gabby, but you can do one now.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #404 on: March 30, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
Not a great by any means but i'd say he'll go down as a cult hero. He always seemed to start a season quite prolifically then would have a lean spell after Christmas. Some good memories though including the Man City hat-trick and a stunner vs Blackburn in the McCleish season. I suppose my favourite derby goal was at St Andrews - not the Ridgewell game but the second one, 1-0  - where he scored in the dying minutes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal