collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 03:04:58 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:43 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:01:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brummiereds  (Read 24132 times)

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: Brummiereds
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I guess so, the other thing is we are very lucky to support this team, I had no choice I was born into it, to have the same passion for another club similar ish like say a Sheff Wed would be really tough.

If I wanted to support another team, and I never will, there really is only a handful of clubs better than us. In a lot of aspects none.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:59:20 PM by andrew08 »

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
I remember listening to Paul Frank's Radio WM show on the day of Man Utd's last European Cup final when he interviewed Birmingham's outgoing Lord Mayor (can't remember his name but he was an Irish chap). After chatting about his job, Franks mentioned that he heard the Lord Mayor was the chairman of the official Man Utd's midlands supporters club and he questioned him on why so many people in Birmingham supported Man Utd over a local club. He replied that most of the Brummie Reds he knew were actually fans of Birmingham City as well as Man Utd.

I didn't need proof that Brummie Reds were actually Blue Noses in disguise because I've always known it, but it was certainly nice hearing it officially confirmed.

That would have been Mike Nangle. He was a great bloke (died a year or two ago) and was a friend of my Dad's. One year we went up with him on the Brummiered coach to Old Trafford for the Villa match. The year? 1983 :)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
2 things
1 They all respond the same in this situation
 "so who do you support then?
 " United"
 " but you're from Norwich" (insert any town/city here)
 " Yeah but I've always supported them"
No you haven't you lying Sod, you just jumped on the bandwagon

2 A while back I lived in  Chester.  Everyone supported UTD or 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'. Never go to the games mind you. They used to really have a go at me for being a Villa fan. So one day in a pub I get asked again who I supported so I changed strategy, told 'em my maternal Grandmother was from Madrid, so we have always followed Real. Even rubbed it in by saying we could only get to 2 or 3 games a season nowadays, even lied about the great night in Berlin when we won the European cup.  None of them were any wiser, still they never gave me any stick anymore, even when I owned up to supporting Villa.

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
I think the massive marketing policies of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal don't help- go in any sports shop in any town and their merchandise will be all over the place. There's a culture of the successful teams hoovering up the floating football fans in towns and cities where the silverware seldom puts in an appearance. Northampton's a good example- my mum moved there a few years ago, and I went round the sports shops there in the summer hoping to pick up last season's white away shirt at a bargain price. Sky 4 gear in every shop, and nary a Cobblers shirt to be seen! No white Villa shirts either.

We may have history and tradition behind us, but that won't sway the armchair fan who has no knowledge of, or respect for, this.

Of course, coming from Stone in Staffordshire, a place where Stone Old Alleynians were my local team, my choice of football team may be called into question! I suppose it boils down to wanting to support a local team, but being rebellious enough to not follow my mum's team (Wolves), not rebellious enough to go completely against the family tradition and support WBA, not wanting to jump on the Man Utd/ Liverpool bandwagon that most of my school friends had jumped upon, and not racist enough to support either of the Potteries clubs (apologies to Bunny or any other SCFC posters on here, but when I lived and worked in Stoke I was regularly disgusted by the attitude of a great deal of my colleagues and customers there, and I came back to Brum as soon as possible!)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Ask a Brummie Red who their second team is.You can guarantee the answer will be Inter Milan or Barcelona
Because our answer is.................................................

Athletic Bilbao

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
I've no time for mixing with idiots like this.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
So, am I a cheshireclaretandblue?  I wasnt born in Birmingham, but just outside crewe, where the population tended to follow Liverpool or Man Utd (My family are split for one or the other).  I remember watching a game as a little kid, and watched this fantastic team pummel those dirty Manx bastards, and thought thats my team.  Some 25 years later I still follow that team, with a ST.  Ironically, although as the crow flies I am closer to Goodison, Anfield, or Madchester/cockneymanx, I can get to VP faster from home, so argue it is actually my "local team" I still follow Crewe (hence why I cannot stomach the thought of Stoke), and go to some home games at Gresty Road, (Gradi still tries to get them to play football rather than long ball), but Im a Villa fan/supporter, and proud of it.  Does this make me the same as the so called filthy brummiereds?

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
So, am I a cheshireclaretandblue?  I wasnt born in Birmingham, but just outside crewe, where the population tended to follow Liverpool or Man Utd (My family are split for one or the other).  I remember watching a game as a little kid, and watched this fantastic team pummel those dirty Manx bastards, and thought thats my team.  Some 25 years later I still follow that team, with a ST.  Ironically, although as the crow flies I am closer to Goodison, Anfield, or Madchester/cockneymanx, I can get to VP faster from home, so argue it is actually my "local team" I still follow Crewe (hence why I cannot stomach the thought of Stoke), and go to some home games at Gresty Road, (Gradi still tries to get them to play football rather than long ball), but Im a Villa fan/supporter, and proud of it.  Does this make me the same as the so called filthy brummiereds?

no.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »

no.
No.You can't be accused of Glory Hunting can you ?

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
that made me laugh!  A little bit more glory wouldnt go amiss granted, but glory hunting itself seems such an empty life.  You dont appreciate the little successes, which can be just as good as the silverware.  I wouldnt change my team for anything.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
that made me laugh!  A little bit more glory wouldnt go amiss granted, but glory hunting itself seems such an empty life.  You dont appreciate the little successes, which can be just as good as the silverware.  I wouldnt change my team for anything.
that's exactly how I feel.Give me the rollercoaster anyday

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
i watched the man u v Villa game in my local pub with my son,

when Man U scored the whole pub erupted, when Villa scored just me and the lad cheered.

thats just how i like it

Online cdward

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
One year after coming back from whichever defeat it was at OT, we stopped at the Scott Arms. A coach pulled up in front of us with a Brummie Reds flag in the back window, 4 or 5 lads get off, the coach pulls away...
They were Brummies all right, they certainly knew their way around the back streets of Great Barr!
Can't stand the twats, i have much more respect Bluenoses for supporting their local team.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
i watched the man u v Villa game in my local pub with my son,

when Man U scored the whole pub erupted, when Villa scored just me and the lad cheered.

thats just how i like it

Great post, it was almost the same for us and we were in Solihull on Tuesday and all the noses were out supporting manure... when the rags play other teams on tv I don't cheer their opposition on by screaming at the tv, I just watch the game and usually laugh as their performances are terrible but I got the feeling the rags fans go out of their way to hate us as they are obsessed with us.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
You should see the amount of gloryhunting bastards down this end of the country. Hardly any of them have seen their teams play in the flesh and only follow them on sky. Then they start questioning why I follow Villa "because its in my blood and I grew up supporting them whilst standing on the terrace not sat in a bloody armchair"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal