collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sing when you're fishing!  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Lucky Eddie

Sing when you're fishing!
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »
Anyone else get attacked at Grimsby Town BOTH times we visited Cleethorpes in the early nineties - or did they just not like the look of my face?

Non League now!!!!!! Who'd have thought it?

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
Re: Sing when you're fishing!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I remember after the final whistle Grimsby fans running on the pitch, shouting angrily at us Villa fans. I didn't realise it was you they wanted - we could have just handed you over!  The FA Cup game -we won.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:38:39 PM by newtonsballs »

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
I went to both games but didnt get attacked, I recall the pitch invasion after we beat them in the FA Cup match and it was a bloody miserable place!!

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
I went to a Villa game there years ago and the Villa fans were in a corner of the ground which had a very strange name - Dead mans corner or Hang mans corner or something similar. Can anyone remember or shed any light on what that area used to be called ?

Offline The Walshmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »

We went to Grimsby for the mid week cup (milk?) game. We stayed in a B&B and I walked out of the door wearing a Villa top. I got 50 yds down the road and a Grimsby fan came up to me and said ''If I were you mate, I'd take that shirt off, we have some idiot fans up here''. I thiought about it for 5 seconds and went back to get me coat. 15 mins later it was kicking off all over the place with their lot running out of alleys in between houses and battering villa fans. I got away with it thanks to a Grimsby fan.

Pubs were moody after too.............feck em in future!

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
I drove up for the FA cup game. Got lost in Grimsby ( because I didn't realise that they didn't actually play in Grimsby) and managed to park on some side street miles from the ground.

Walking back to the car after the game, there were little mobs of half a dozen or so Grimsby fans on each street corner, looking for Villa fans. Very intimidating.

Not as bad as when we played Barnsley in the cup though - now that is a God-forsaken place

Offline andyaston

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
The FA Cup game was a right throwback. The police came on the pitch on horseback when that Ponoton end ran towards us.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
Last time we went there they still had silk scarves tied around their wrists. They are still in the seventies. The pub we went in was split half-Grimsby and half-Villa and there was no problem. I sold about £20 of Villa Lottery Tickets in there which was one of my better days of sale.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »
The FA Cup game was a right throwback. The police came on the pitch on horseback when that Ponoton end ran towards us.

Proper bunch of wankers they were too, giving it the big one across the pitch then stood behind the old bill not knowing what to do next. Average age of about 15 as I remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal