collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester City Post-Match Thread  (Read 74264 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Manchester City Post-Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
A dream start for Bent. He was on the move as soon as Ash shot, anticipating where the keeper was going to push it and made it into a simple chance.

I thought they were bound to score and was thinking one all wouldn't be a bad result but when it hit 80 minutes I dared to think we would win it so became really nervous. Fair play to them though as we defended manfully and earned the bit of luck with the one that hit the post. They all worked their socks off and credit to the manager for being bold with his selection and seeing it come off. I hope all of the people advocating selling Downing were paying attention as he had a great game.

It is games like that which remind you why you go to football.

He was woeful Chris.

I know others have said it, but I have to comment too. I cannot believe you could have watched the game yesterday and come to that conclusion. He was excellent.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:06 PM »
It is all about opinions Ads. Woeful may be harsh, but certainly not anywhere approaching good. Maybe 6 out of 10. So many times he gave it away, looked lost or clueless with what to do with it and was just walking when he needed to put a bit of energy into getting back. Really annoyed my during the game I have to say.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »

Bizarre but brave formation from Houllier.

I think he wanted somebody in the middle who could advanced the ball forward. NRC was poor against Small Heath and he hasn't got the quality to drive it forward. Downing did well at this yesterday I though. Made a lot of good passes and some good forward runs. Keeping the middle warm for Makoun.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
See I thought his use of the ball was very mixed. Anyhow, as said the joy of the game is opinion.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:29 PM »

Bizarre but brave formation from Houllier.

I think he wanted somebody in the middle who could advanced the ball forward. NRC was poor against Small Heath and he hasn't got the quality to drive it forward. Downing did well at this yesterday I though. Made a lot of good passes and some good forward runs. Keeping the middle warm for Makoun.

It was very hard for Nige to do much interms of going forward against Blues as there was only static carew to aim at, felt sorry for him quite a few times. He had the ball and kept it in his possession but could only give it backwards as there was no options for him

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like Downing on the wing, but the center of the park is not the place for him.   I can't remember him being involved in a single tackle yesterday.   Yes, he closed people down, but give me someone who can put their foot in and distribute it any day.

I would rather see Downing on the left, Albrighton on the right with Petrov and Makoun in the middle, with two from Bent, Gabby and Ash up front.

Offline Archieavfc

« Reply #276 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Dont know if it has been mentioned but there was a time in the match when City played a long ball over the top and Dunne was like Gabby sprinting across the back line to clear it. He seems to have reacted the right way to being dropped and getting rid of the extra pounds.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Dont know if it has been mentioned but there was a time in the match when City played a long ball over the top and Dunne was like Gabby sprinting across the back line to clear it. He seems to have reacted the right way to being dropped and getting rid of the extra pounds.

Apart from a poor header in the first half, I though Dunne was looking as close to last season as he has this. Composed, in the zone and commanding. Great to have the two of them back in form, and fair play to Dunne and GH for sorting things out between the.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Dunne's also looking in much better shape, and slowly seems in to be buying into the Villa vision. He and Collins were throwing themselves at everything. You need to want to do it before you actually do it. Dunne was very engaged yesterday.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
It is about opinions, but Downing was superb, he was always available to relieve pressure, we cant just pick out all the bad thngs he did, he deserves credit for yesturday.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
It is about opinions, but Downing was superb, he was always available to relieve pressure, we cant just pick out all the bad thngs he did, he deserves credit for yesturday.

Agreed. I think Downing did well.  I can't wait to see this team take on lesser opponents at Villa Park, we have a lot of quality attacking options and with Bent's movement, anticipation and finishing I think we will finally reap the rewards of having Downing, Young and Albrighton in the side.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
The tactics employed by Houllier were excellent. The way the team followed them were also excellent.

I had a fantastic time and only now is my hangover subsiding.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2011, 03:22:13 PM »
I thought Petrov was brilliant. I have been, at times, in both pro and anti-Petrov camps, but his attitude this season has been exemplary, especially when you'd think he'd be the one senior pro to be most affected by MON's departure.

Calling him brilliant is slightly going over the top. I lost count how many times Toure took the ball around him with ease. He's the player, for me, that Makoun should be replacing.

Petrov played well, and tends to keep the ball well, but we need someone with a bit more energy and pace. He makes Barry look like Usain Bolt.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
If manc citie had been more flexible tactically they could have tried to exploit the fact that the midfield cannot be relied upon to win headers
but they didn't

with makoun and or Fabian D in there we may be less vunerable in the middle of the park
I was pleased to see the lads in front of the back 4 try to tackle ,press and get their bodies in the way-but none of them are really that type of player in the way of the aforementioned

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »

I partly agree with ozzjim about Downing.

Sometimes you think he is real top quality, the next hes a big girls blouse.What does worry me about him is he has'nt got that winning mentality.Ash has it, Delph has it, that desire to be as good as you possibly can be, i'm not sure Downing has that in him.I get the impression off Downing sometimes that he is happy to do just enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal