collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 03:33:09 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 03:33:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:30:25 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 03:24:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:24:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 03:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 03:23:10 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The sacred colours around the world  (Read 116397 times)

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
Re: The sacred colours around the world
« Reply #420 on: August 23, 2023, 05:42:00 PM »
I recently travelled on holiday to Northern California and went to visit a friend who I converted to a Villa fan in 96' when living up on the Mendocino Coast. He lives in a tiny village called Comptche in the middle of nowhere about 45 mins inland from the coast. It had been about 10 years since I last visited and was trying to remember exactly which driveway was his when I looked up to see a huge Villa logo on the side of his garage at the entrance to his driveway. He still follows the Villa fanatically and was fully up to speed with all things pre-season, signings and even the inner workings of our youth team. He came to the door wearing a Paul MacGath t-shirt and we spent hours talking Villa sat in the Californian sun under the Redwoods trees that grow in his garden.   

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #421 on: August 23, 2023, 06:24:59 PM »
I recently travelled on holiday to Northern California and went to visit a friend who I converted to a Villa fan in 96' when living up on the Mendocino Coast. He lives in a tiny village called Comptche in the middle of nowhere about 45 mins inland from the coast. It had been about 10 years since I last visited and was trying to remember exactly which driveway was his when I looked up to see a huge Villa logo on the side of his garage at the entrance to his driveway. He still follows the Villa fanatically and was fully up to speed with all things pre-season, signings and even the inner workings of our youth team. He came to the door wearing a Paul MacGath t-shirt and we spent hours talking Villa sat in the Californian sun under the Redwoods trees that grow in his garden.

Love it.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #422 on: August 23, 2023, 06:41:50 PM »
This is like a classic short story; you could call it "A Good Villa Man is Hard to Find". Lovely!

Offline dorsetvillian

« Reply #423 on: August 23, 2023, 06:48:37 PM »
Also went to the bar in Monterey owned by a Villa fan. Lots of Villa shirts on display.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2023, 07:38:57 AM »
Great stuff DV

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2023, 09:06:31 AM »
Positively Steinbeckian. Love it.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2023, 09:17:20 AM »
There is - was - not sure - a sports bar/cafe in Santo Tomas in Menorca. As youngsters we loved the resort so much we went three years in a row 2002-04. Anyway this was a regular haunt for us all three years. They used to have football shirts round the tops of the walls  that were donated by various visitors/patrons and there was a Villa LDV vans stripey top up there already.  I donated one of my AST 96 shirts that first year and to my utter delight it was still up on the walls the next two years we went back. On the topic of Menorca there was a Villa owned cafe in either Mahon or Citudella  - I can't remember which .

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #427 on: August 24, 2023, 09:19:07 AM »
Does Scotland count? In the queue for coffee at the Landmark Centre nr Aviemore and encountered a family of Villans (cazoo top). Opening gambit - as always with me - is to sing "Every week we follow..." and see if they join in.

The Dad did, kids looked extremely embarrassed, as well they might.

Then from the kitchen behind the serveover came a strongly Scots accented "We've got McGinn".

Magic 👍

Brilliant. I do quite a bit of work in south Derby and see loads to villa tops around, the most my UTV’s get is the occasional smile, don’t think I’d I have the courage for a full on “every week we follow”!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #428 on: August 24, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
Literally  just bumped  into a Villa fan in my town centre, a guy from Telford... bloody shires wink wink.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2023, 10:08:24 AM »
Does Scotland count? In the queue for coffee at the Landmark Centre nr Aviemore and encountered a family of Villans (cazoo top). Opening gambit - as always with me - is to sing "Every week we follow..." and see if they join in.

Then from the kitchen behind the serveover came a strongly Scots accented "We've got McGinn".

Magic 👍

Brilliant. I do quite a bit of work in south Derby and see loads to villa tops around, the most my UTV’s get is the occasional smile, don’t think I’d I have the courage for a full on “every week we follow”!

I start ever so gently and with raised eyebrows, like a chorister about to start singing the descant in Once In Royal David's City, then ramp up the volume when they join in. If they don't I just keep going and force them to out of sheer embarrassment (for me, obvs). By the time we get to the "Allez Allez" everyone's smiling.*

* Except for the genuinely miserable sods who don't. Few and far between though.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »
Fair play Rodders, not sure how I would react to that! Sometimes UTV doesn't even get a response.

This was a few months back, day before the Arsenal game but a lad came over to me specifically to talk about Villa while I was stood outside the office in my Villa hat. Not many of us about in Leeds.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #431 on: August 24, 2023, 10:23:44 AM »

Magic 👍

I start ever so gently and with raised eyebrows, like a chorister about to start singing the descant in Once In Royal David's City, then ramp up the volume when they join in. If they don't I just keep going and force them to out of sheer embarrassment (for me, obvs). By the time we get to the "Allez Allez" everyone's smiling.*

* Except for the genuinely miserable sods who don't. Few and far between though.

Ha ha, brilliant stuff. Keep up the good work!

Offline Rodders

« Reply #432 on: August 24, 2023, 10:32:58 AM »
It's only a short step from there to My Old Man, which you can threateningly leave lingering in the air like a three day loaf after too many trips to the carvery. No-one wants to get to the second line of that outside the stadium, do they?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #433 on: August 24, 2023, 10:34:30 AM »
It's only a short step from there to My Old Man, which you can threateningly leave lingering in the air like a three day loaf after too many trips to the carvery. No-one wants to get to the second line of that outside the stadium, do they?

I had it in my wedding vows.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #434 on: August 24, 2023, 11:47:16 AM »

I had it in my wedding vows.

Vicar: "Paddy, I want you to say after me, "I said bollocks.""

Paddy: "I said bollocks"

Vicar: "Mrs Paddy, now say after me, "You're a c*nt.""

Mrs Paddy (turns to face Paddy): "You're a c*nt."

Exactly how it happened.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal