collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rod Liddle in The Times  (Read 25925 times)

Offline CorkVilla

Rod Liddle in The Times
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
Did anybody else read Rod Little's article in the Times today? This guy pisses me off most of the time but he really annoyed me today. His article is basically about the false pretensions of modern footballers, chairmen and supporters. For some reason he sees fit to include Villa in the list of clubs with an 'absurd sense of expectation.'

The Villa excerpt:

'It seemed to me a matter of great wonder that Aston Villa finished as high as they did last season, even more so the season before. If you want an example of a manager making the most of terribly scant resources, then once you have named Ian Holloway, Martin O'Neill is next on the list. Villa prospered under O'Neill because they ground out results against the bottom 14 teams with great consistancy, despite not - to my mind - having very much in the way of flair to distinguish themselves from the also-rans.

This is, after all. why O'Neill left. Truth be told, Gabriel Aghbonlahor and Ashley Young are not quite possessed of the quixotic brilliance O'Neill forever insisted they had at their disposal; they are okay, nothing much more. Villa, for the past few years, have been a case of mind over matter.'

He then goes on further about the 'sense of entitlement' and 'human right to be challenging for Europe' that afflicts Premier League clubs. Apparently, according to Little in any case, Aston Villa are now a perfect example of this misguided arrogance. We are the new Newcastle. Good god.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:57:52 PM by Mac »

Online berneboy

• John 3:16
Re: Rod Little in The Times
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
I'm not normally in favour of capital punishment but it is perhaps appropriate for Rod Little in this case.

Blooming cheek!

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
£120 million quid is 'scant resources', does anyone involved with football have any grip on reality?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »
O'Neill made the most of 'scant resources'

What utter bollocks.

He was allowed to sign whatever player he wanted, seemingly on whatever overpriced wages he wanted to dole out as well.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Just remember: when they are critical of the Villa it is "lazy, incompetent journalism written by an alcoholic twat who has supported variously ManYoo, the dippers, The Arse or those blue c***s in Lahndan". If they praise the Villa it is a "great article, that".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:05:11 PM by Bad English »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
Just remember: when they are critical of the Villa it is "lazy, incompetent journalism written by an alcoholic twat who has supported variously ManYoo, the dippers, The Arse or those blue c***s in Lahndan". if they praise the Villa it is a "great article, that".
Maybe so, but is Rod Littlecock correct in saying that MON had 'scant resources' ?

No

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Villa prospered under O'Neill because they ground out results against the bottom 14 teams with great consistancy, despite not - to my mind - having very much in the way of flair to distinguish themselves from the also-rans.
I seem to remember Villa taking 4pts off Manyoo last season, 3pts off Chelsea and Liverpool, and a couple off Spurz.

This guy isn't very knowledgeable about Villa, is he?

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
we are very humble, mon never really punched above his weight for us. he over spent on cack and never worked on tactics by his own admission. this article is aimed at us this year and i feel that we were in titled to expect a european challenge as thats what we have done 4 years in a row.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
I think you might argue that, in the make-it-up-as-you-go-along world of football finance, he did have 'scant' resources.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
Is he related to Rod LIDDLE?

He is wrong about MON though.  Scant resources.  Really?  Hmmm.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:12:24 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
The 'scant resources' bit is absolute bollocks.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
Just remember: when they are critical of the Villa it is "lazy, incompetent journalism written by an alcoholic twat who has supported variously ManYoo, the dippers, The Arse or those blue c***s in Lahndan". if they praise the Villa it is a "great article, that".
Maybe so, but is Rod Littlecock correct in saying that MON had 'scant resources' ?

No

Compared to the rest of the top 6? Yes.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Villa prospered under O'Neill because they ground out results against the bottom 14 teams with great consistancy, despite not - to my mind - having very much in the way of flair to distinguish themselves from the also-rans.
I seem to remember Villa taking 4pts off Manyoo last season, 3pts off Chelsea and Liverpool, and a couple off Spurz.

This guy isn't very knowledgeable about Villa, is he?

Youre right mate,we did better against the bigger teams,but we struggled at home against the lower teams,which is why we never went higher than sixth. The guy is a complete tool,and im not just saying that as he's had a go at us..the Geldoff lookalike tosser.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »

No

Compared to the rest of the top 6? Yes.

Say it often enough and you might start to believe it yourself.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
Yesterday's Times, in assessment of the four managers under pressure, stated that Villa had "overachieved" under Martin O'Neill's leadership.   I wonder what planet they live on. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal