collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will Houllier Ever Win The Fans Over  (Read 27969 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Will Houllier Ever Win The Fans Over
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »
There are many views on the conduct of Houllier at Anfield, and comments regarding Liverpool attributed to our manager, ranging from the ambivalent to the downright furious.

Whatever your views, it can't be denied that these off the field issues have made the on the field job a damn sight more difficult. And they could have been avoided.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
That's quite right Nev, if he get's results, and he needs some quickly, and we start to move away from danger then he'll be alright till the end of the season atleast, probably longer.  From then on he can build his own team and be judged totally on that.  He obviously knows the game and has a great network of contacts so he could be just waht we need.

However, he needs to get there first.

If he can't improve the results of late, then clearly he'll be in serious trouble as he pissed alot of his goodwill up the wall with various comments and actions on and since his appointment - and these are not exclusive to those he made at Anfield imo.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:50:46 AM by OzVilla »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »
I've been a little concerned about his apparent inconsistency from the outset:

- before game 1 he said he thought young needed to play on the wing because it was where he was getting picked for England. A good 30 mins against Blackburn and he's talking about him being world class, but behind the striker not on the wing. Seemed strange.
- didn't play Carlos despite his one game being very good, and talked warmly of dunne's experience. Then suddenly he's completely out in the cold.
- pires signing was an odd one, certainly to start.
- other team changes have been odd.

Having said all that, we were actually playing some good stuff just not taking our chances and conceding daft goals. Hard to tell now whether we're just short of confidence. Or whether there's a more serious man management issue across the squad. I suspect these things get blown out of all proportion

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
Agreed Perc.

All that other bobbins would barely register if we were getting results on the pitch, or even delivering a level of performance that might indicate good times were ahead.

We're down on both of those, so it's a concern.

Exactly.  We haven't even given most teams a decent game in recent weeks...

That's just not true. We were shit at Man City but we gave Spurs a decent game and beat Albion in our last three games.

There are clearly enough real issues without the need to exaggerate them to make a point.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
Nonsense.  10 man Spurs never remotely looked like losing to us, and there are more games in 'recent weeks' than three.  Liverpool was dismal, Blackburn was dismal and so was the cup game against the Blues.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »
Nonsense.  10 man Spurs never remotely looked like losing to us, and there are more games in 'recent weeks' than three.  Liverpool was dismal, Blackburn was dismal and so was the cup game against the Blues.

We outplayed the Blues for most of the games and made more than enough chances to get something against Spurs. Blackburn was mid November so you've got an odd definition of recent weeks. It shows a lack of confidence in your argument that you feel the need to over egg it.

We're struggling at the moment but the overall impression under Houllier is that we've been inconsistent, some good performances, some dire and a lot veering between the two. If we're still playing like this when he's had a full squad to choose from for a number of games then we will have every reason to be concerned but at the moment there's very little to be gained by panicking and as a consequence wasting another transfer window as anyone coming in over the next 2-3 weeks will have no time to make any assessment of his players and little chance to scout and recruit replacements.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
Well, we'll see.  A decent performance against Chelsea followed by wins in our next two games and you could be right.  A heavy defeat at Chelsea followed by another in the league and I think it'll be curtains.  There's only so long you can go on hoping for a improvement if it never looks like coming.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2011, 11:50:02 AM »
A run of good form that results in us rising up the table and before you know it the Holte will be humming the La Marseillaise. Today would be a fantastic time to begin the run!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »

We outplayed the Blues for most of the games and made more than enough chances to get something against Spurs. Blackburn was mid November so you've got an odd definition of recent weeks. It shows a lack of confidence in your argument that you feel the need to over egg it.

In fairness Chris, i don't remember us outplaying Blues that much. We kept the ball and passed it round, but i don't remember Foster having too many saves to make. Besides, bearing in mind how bad they are at the moment, outplaying them and losing is not much comfort. As for the Spurs game, you could'nt tell we were playing against 10 men and again Gomes did'nt have a fat lot to do. The less said about the Liverpool game the better.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
He needs a big win to get the players and fans on his side like today. I just cant see it though. Man Utd was the perfect opportunity, we played pretty well really but collapsed too and a chance to build momentum was lost. Fulham away another two points tossed away, Sunderland away - how we lost that match I'll never know. But of late and with players coming back we have simply nosedived with some truly unacceptable performances. West Brom was a blip but I dont think we particularly played that well that day either and reverted to type in the next game. Players and supporters judge a manager ultimately on results and Houllier's have been disastrous thus far. To be honest I think he needs a result today. If we are hammered he has to go.

Offline rutski

« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
he has to go? why? even the most staunch mon supporter knows we always got dicked down at chelsea. This is a game where the performance has to improve granted, however every season i put this down as no points and i dont see it changing today!

Offline pmk1981

« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
will houllier win me over ??

if we win today

NO

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »

if we win today

NO

That's the spirit. I'd rather he becomes a success for Villa.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »

In fairness Chris, i don't remember us outplaying Blues that much. We kept the ball and passed it round, but i don't remember Foster having too many saves to make. Besides, bearing in mind how bad they are at the moment, outplaying them and losing is not much comfort. As for the Spurs game, you could'nt tell we were playing against 10 men and again Gomes did'nt have a fat lot to do. The less said about the Liverpool game the better.

The argument was that we 'didn't give anyone a decent game' and I just don't see it that way. I'm not trying to pretend that we have been brilliant, far from it, but besides Liverpool and Man City we've at least been competitive in most games.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »

if we win today

NO

That's the spirit. I'd rather he becomes a success for Villa.
Quite.
I don't see who you couldn't back him, if he achieved the impossible and beat Chelsea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal