collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:18:37 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Pete3206
[Today at 06:14:08 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 06:08:56 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:37:58 PM]

FFP by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:23:49 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 04:30:47 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by simboy
[Today at 03:32:30 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:08:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437381 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1965 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
I think if we finish top 10 this season, having had the turmoil we have had, it gives us a decent base to build on next season and GH will have had a season to get his own ways across. He amazingly looks more fresh and younger in every interview at the moment!

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1966 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
It was easy to underestimate the damage that O'Neill caused by his walkout as it was all the injuries we suffered plus the change in the players routine that put some offside. Most will agree that Houlliers purchases have made us a stronger unit and at last a more united one as a squad. He is getting the wage bill down and improving us at the same time not a mean feat.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1967 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »
For those of us who were involved in that "is GH changing our style debate" and thought he was, it's good news from the world of statistics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/01/ruthless_chelsea_expose_predic.html .

Third lowest number of long balls attempted, beaten only by 'perfect goal' seekers Arsenal and Man City. If that's not a shift in emphasis from the MON days, I don't know what is.

To be honest, I always thought the long ball tag when applied to O'Neill was very unfair.

We weren't reliant on the hoof particularly, it was more about the balls whacked in from the wings. Not as easy to do as the hoof, but not much less predictable maybe, but really, not long ball at all.
We stopped hoofing it last season.

I'm all for a more passing game but I do wish there was a bit more urgency to our game. Hopefully that will come when the players feel more comfortable with the ball, not to mention when confidence is fully restored. We're heading in the right direction.

Not sure if already mentioned but Houllier has really shocked me with some of his team selections. Today was another example. He obviously has a lot of faith with all the squad. It's got to the stage where I haven't a clue who he's going to select; still if he keeps on winning and improving the way we play there'll be no complains from me.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1968 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
not one day has gone by when i have woke up and wished we had MOn back as manager,
not even when we were in the bottom 3, not when we were getting thrashed by newcastle, not when everyone was falling out of the pitch,

i dont miss him, i dont miss his style of football, i dont miss his predictable tactics, and i certainly dont miss his turgid efforts in the transfer windows

as for Houllier, i think he's here to build,
 i also think he is lucky to have the best crop of youngsters anywhere in the prem, but glad he's not scared of playing them

early days still, but i'm glad Randy stood strong and trusted his judgement in Houllier,
i'm actually getting a bit excited again about watching Villa play, especially with the attacting players we have on view,
and i never felt like that all last season, even though we finished 6th, and got to wembley a couple of times

Offline davevillan

« Reply #1969 on: January 29, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »
There was a lot of frustration a few weeks ago, with calls for his sacking.
A lot of us were saying judge him when he had a fit squad to pick from, plus his own signings. Now he has, the results and performances are improving. A bit of confidence back, and we will soon be flying  :)

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1970 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
The signs are certainly looking good for the future. I'm pleased Houllier is not afraid to give the youngsters a chance.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #1971 on: January 29, 2011, 11:36:48 PM »
Houllier, give us a wave!!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #1972 on: January 30, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
win at Old trafford and the World will be perfect and who knows we might.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #1973 on: January 30, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
He came in, wasn't quite what we were expecting, made the right noises about finding out it was a massive club that he was going to fall in love with, proclaimed our youth to be the future, quickly put this in motion, a dodgy bunch of first team injuries and an ill fated night at Liverpool had us livid.

For the briefest of moments we worried about relegation, we came back strong at Chelsea with the team playing good football, and the right blend of youth and experience. The predictable first team is now gone and all the squad gets it's chance, we smash our transfer record for Bent and it looks as if Gerrard is trying to build the foundations for a new era, shipping out the almosts.

We'd be mad to not be excited about next season, so give him time.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1974 on: January 30, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Even pmk seems to have been silenced in the last couple of weeks so houllier is clearly doing well- or has he been banned?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1975 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Even pmk seems to have been silenced in the last couple of weeks so houllier is clearly doing well- or has he been banned?
The latter.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1976 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
I was actually pleased when he arrived and I mean that, After a few weeks I was thinkin for fuck's sake sack him before he relegates us and now Im pleased to say I was being hasty. Im still not 100% won over yet but the noises he's making are good and the signings he's making are excellent.

I hope it continues, he's getting rid of the right players and signing up the right ones. Long may it continue. If we win at mould trafford I think were made for life :)

Offline eastie

« Reply #1977 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Yes I think bringing in some of his own players and getting rid of some of the alleged bad apples has helped things, I'd hope we can see warnock and Ireland out the door on loan by tomorrow and complete the Bradley deal- the change of tactics , formations and team rotation along with intelligent substitutions have been good to see.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #1978 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
Not sure if already mentioned but Houllier has really shocked me with some of his team selections. Today was another example. He obviously has a lot of faith with all the squad.

I guess it's down to two things: one, he knows that he has to use the squad. There will be times when he picks an odd team and we lose, and then the knives will be out. However, over the course of the season, more points will be lost by never resting players. Second, GH notices what goes on in training. (According to some, a major difference between GH and MON is that the players are nwo actually training.) If players do well in training, he gives them a chance. As we don't know anything about this, he's bound to surprise us.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1979 on: January 30, 2011, 09:49:42 AM »
Not sure if already mentioned but Houllier has really shocked me with some of his team selections. Today was another example. He obviously has a lot of faith with all the squad.

Couldn't agree more

I guess it's down to two things: one, he knows that he has to use the squad. There will be times when he picks an odd team and we lose, and then the knives will be out. However, over the course of the season, more points will be lost by never resting players. Second, GH notices what goes on in training. (According to some, a major difference between GH and MON is that the players are nwo actually training.) If players do well in training, he gives them a chance. As we don't know anything about this, he's bound to surprise us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal