collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Pete3206
[Today at 01:05:21 AM]

Spurs v Manchester City match thread by Pete3206
[Today at 01:04:17 AM]

Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:59:37 AM]

Transfer priorities by brontebilly
[Today at 12:48:29 AM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:44:28 AM]

Kits 23/24 by villadelph
[Today at 12:27:26 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 12:02:39 AM]

Ollie Watkins by aldridgeboy
[May 14, 2024, 11:34:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 438467 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1815 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
Might as well dig this up.

If he has failed in his attempt at signing J2M after flying out there to meet him, before a huge game for us then it is almost laughable. Just how shit was that sales pitch?

This couldn't have inspired much confidence with Randy.

Lose against them and I reckon that he will be gone by 6pm Monday.

May as well dig it up again. How's your mate the chef, by the way?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #1816 on: January 17, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
We lose to them, the abuse he is going to get come the Man City game, especially if they go one or two up will be awful. I think it's fair to say from polls on certain sites and chants at certain games he has already lost a good chunk of the fans.

I don't think Randy will want to watch his investment implode.

Does it make you feel more comfortable when there are a load of others with the same opinion as you? I noticed a feeble effort to start an anti-Houllier chant on Sunday.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1817 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
Hey pmk. You gone into hiding? Or are you just lining up your next salvo of anti-French and anti-Houllier slurs despite today's events?

Offline Willie Anderson

« Reply #1818 on: January 17, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
David James' column in The Observer today about managers (and Houllier & Grant specifically) worth a read:

http://bit.ly/h9EYxy

Really good read there.

Abit worrying though, he seems to indicate that Houllier has always had a problem with player disliking him.

He also has the opinion that success early in the managers tenure usually means you have time when things get abit rough. Houllier is on thin ice then Jamo!

Does anyone seriously think any of the Man U players would want to go out to dinner with Ferguson?

I think the difference here is, though I would be willing to bet a good portion of the Man U squad dislike SAF they all respect(/fear) him & want to play for him.

We need to draw a line under this, as todays events have shown GH will be here a good while longer, the signing of Bent & his 20+ goals a season will improve any squad I just wish we had signed him a few seasons ago. Hopefully if he does come results should turn around & make Villa Park a happier place to be.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1819 on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »

We need to draw a line under this, as todays events have shown GH will be here a good while longer, the signing of Bent & his 20+ goals a season will improve any squad I just wish we had signed him a few seasons ago. Hopefully if he does come results should turn around & make Villa Park a happier place to be.

Spot on.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1820 on: January 17, 2011, 09:12:17 PM »
We've needed a boost this season, it's felt like one problem after the other since the summer. Pretty much since March 2010 TBH.

Still have major doubts about GH, one signing isn't going to alter that.

But the hope is we have a strong finish to the season. Still in the FA Cup too, so plenty to play for.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1821 on: January 17, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
Its a fantastic statement of intent but so far, he's not managed to inspire players more talented than Bent to play at their best.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1822 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:56 PM »
Disagree Heskey has played his best football at Villa since Houllier arrived.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1823 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
I'll concede that one.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1824 on: January 18, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
I hope that all our fans really start to get behind Houllier and the team. The biggest way to thank Randy now is show our collective support with some full houses and cheering the team to a few much needed wins.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #1825 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:11 AM »
If we do sign him, it will be fantastic but I don't think it is necessarily a sign that Houllier is here for the long run, though.

Lerner has always done what he thinks is in the best interests of the club and I'm sure that if, with the signings of Walker, Makoun and Bent, by the end of Feb, we are still no more than a point or two away from the bottom 3, Houllier will be under intense pressure to leave. Perhaps Randy is thinking that getting Bent in now is a good move whoever the eventual manager of the club is.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1826 on: January 18, 2011, 06:29:52 AM »
Delighted with the transfers so far , randy has backed him with the cash and I believe we can go on a decent run up the table. I see houllier as being here for the long term and now he is getting in some of his players I think results will improve- well done gerard.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1827 on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
I don't want to pour cold water on the new-found Houllier love-in, but we still haven't  won a match in the league since Albion.

If we beat Wigan and somehow avoid defeat to one or other of the Manchester clubs (and not get stuffed against the other), I might start to feel a little more confident.

I'm also long enough in the tooth to have seen enough Record Signing strikers come and go to know that it's easy to spend the money, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the goals you imagine you've somehow guaranteed.  First, let's see Bent in a Villa shirt; then let's see a return of a goal every two game between now and the end of the season.

Offline pmk1981

« Reply #1828 on: January 18, 2011, 07:31:12 AM »
Hey pmk. You gone into hiding? Or are you just lining up your next salvo of anti-French and anti-Houllier slurs despite today's events?

i never doubted houlliers signings

i just dont like his management, his touchline commitment, his tactical knowledge....

so basically he signs a couple of players and he is the best manager we have ever had?

give it a rest you fool

Offline eastie

« Reply #1829 on: January 18, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
Pmk have you seen what houllier has achieved as a manager in his career- his tactical knowledge can hardly be questioned, get off his back and enjoy the good times ahead of us , he is starting to build his team so give him a chance!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal