collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 08:41:08 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:14:34 PM]

Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 08:41:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:36:10 PM]

[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:29:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:28:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 08:28:45 PM]

[Today at 08:27:32 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437395 times)

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1305 on: January 02, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
Let's not get carried away.  Today was a good result, albeit with some of this season's frailties also present for all to see.  It is now all about how we kick-on from here, or not as the case may be.  It will be only then that we'll be able to identify as to whether today really was a turning point in Houllier's reign.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:50:31 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #1306 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
I am coming to the conclusion that Houllier has some significant enemies in the media. 

Over the Christmas period Robbie Savage, I know a former blues player and ex MON player, waxed lyrical about MON and stuck the knife into GH, referring to our midfield as being a Championship midfield.  I think most Championship managers would give their right arm for a midfield that included Downing, Albrighton, Delph, Petrov and Pires.  He attacked anyone who suggested that part of the problem was MON’s although he admitted one Villa supporter who rang in had a point when he said the timing of MON’s departure was wrong.  He made it obvious GH was out of his depth and should be sacked and just questioned how long he would last.

Talksport have been having a go at him for weeks.  Enough said there.

Today, Sky had its usual bias in commentating in favour of Chelski, but Rednapp really had a go at GH, saying he was playing too many kids, when the reality is he has had to because of injuries to senior players.  He made a passing reference to us having had "one or two" injuries.  He referred back to when GH went to Liverpool and fell out with senior players saying at least then he had good youngsters in Gerrard and Carragher.  In other words, having a go at our youngsters.  He was even supported by Ray Wilkins.  They are either having a serious go at the man or they are ill informed.

Moxley in the Mail has gone overboard in giving him grief recently.  Frankly some of his comments have been at worse malicious, at best ill informed.

The performance today was the best of the season.  Apart from getting underneath the ball for Chelsea’s equaliser, Dunne was awesome.  It was hardly the performance of a player/team who has fallen out with the manager and wants away.  It all makes you wonder what exactly is going on at Villa.  How much of the derision and grief he is getting from fans is actually being prompted by the remarks of these so called experts? 

I think the man has some serious enemies in a way other managers in trouble, Hughes, Hodgson, Grant etc haven’t.  They do not get the grief he does, neither do other managers at the bottom of the table.  Why?

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1307 on: January 02, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
Today, Sky had its usual bias in commentating in favour of Chelski,

Why is it that every statistic that comes out of Rob Hawthorne's mouth is negative towards Villa? what is his problem? I bet if you put a camera on him, his hand went up for offside when we equalised.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1308 on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
I'm still not convinced about Houllier, but today was a massive step in the right direction. I don't dislike the man, and I genuinely hope he can turn the season around and prove me and his doubters wrong - continuing with three points against Sunderland.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1309 on: January 02, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
I think the man has some serious enemies in a way other managers in trouble, Hughes, Hodgson, Grant etc haven’t.  They do not get the grief he does, neither do other managers at the bottom of the table.  Why?

Partly because Villa are the ideal club to write 'Crisis' headlies about. Big enough to be kicked, not big enough to kick back. Partly because O'Neill had a lot of friends in the press, and they still think we were ungrateful to, as they see it, push him out. And partly because Randy's attitude towards the media might be understandable but it's not done him any favours with them.   

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #1310 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
I'd also add that you really can't underestimate how ill-informed some of these 'pundits' are. They just regurgitate stuff that has appeared inn the tabloids; can you recall the last time you heard genuine insight from any of them? I can't.

I remember watching Soccer Saturday. The panel were rattling on for some time that our 'major problem' was scoring goals, we didn't score enough, where were the goals going to come from etc etc.
At the time, I think we were the second highest scorers in the league.

Very often, they really don't know what they're talking about.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1311 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
Robbie Savage, I know a former blues player and ex MON player, waxed lyrical about MON and stuck the knife into GH, referring to our midfield as being a Championship midfield.

Proves what a fucking thick Bellend his is as they are players brought by MON

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1312 on: January 03, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
Robbie Savage, I know a former blues player and ex MON player, waxed lyrical about MON and stuck the knife into GH, referring to our midfield as being a Championship midfield.

I heard the rant that Gobby S had re MON and it made my blood boil that there was such a one-sided view being expressed on national radio.
However, that's the way it is: football "is all about opinions" [cliche # 357, from the football lexicon of cliches]. The only way to deal with it is for GH to come out and prove them all wrong by getting the team on a run of victories.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #1313 on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
Matt Jackson, summarising on the Wigan game for 5Live, was surprisingly intelligent. He even made me laugh at one point.

I think it's possible that part of Faulkner's brief is to become semi-accessible to the media on Randy's behalf. The two are clearly very close
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:12:19 AM by damon green »

Offline eastie

« Reply #1314 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
The press jump on whoever is struggling at the time and moyes will be next to cop the flak- there is a much more positive feeling about today and if we can win on weds I think we can turn our season around!

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1315 on: January 03, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
Let's not get carried away.  Today was a good result, albeit with some of this season's frailties also present for all to see.  It is now all about how we kick-on from here, or not as the case may be.  It will be only then that we'll be able to identify as to whether today really was a turning point in Houllier's reign.

the only people getting carried away were those like yourself who were demanding 'evidence' to how we were going to avoid relegation,
even if we had of lost yesterday i still think the team are good enough to avoid going down,
i think those that were coming on here saying we were definitley down if we stuck with Houllier were the ones getting carried away.

maybe they still think that,
 but having said that you were one of those who were calling for a shred of evidence, and i think yesterday was a performance that gave you a little of that,
doesnt mean we cant go down, but does show us that Houllier isnt the complete numtey people had him down as

Offline villa1

« Reply #1316 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »

I heard the rant that Gobby S had re MON and it made my blood boil that there was such a one-sided view being expressed on national radio.
However, that's the way it is: football "is all about opinions" [cliche # 357, from the football lexicon of cliches]. The only way to deal with it is for GH to come out and prove them all wrong by getting the team on a run of victories.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, and the fact that Savage is a tool, they're just doing their job. Say something controversial or have a dig at someone, and you guarantee yourself callers, and that's what they need.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #1317 on: January 03, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Based on yesterdays game, he told the players to play like they did under MON. It was essentially, bar Clark, MON's team.

Hopefully a few performances like that will climb us out of trouble, and then GH can introduce a more passing style/ethic into the team towards the latter half of this season, ready for next season.

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #1318 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:26 PM »
Based on yesterdays game, he told the players to play like they did under MON. It was essentially, bar Clark, MON's team.

Hopefully a few performances like that will climb us out of trouble, and then GH can introduce a more passing style/ethic into the team towards the latter half of this season, ready for next season.

Not quite playing the MON way.  MOTD had that graphic which clearly showed how we were better tactically than when we lost 7-1.

Offline villa1

« Reply #1319 on: January 03, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »

Not quite playing the MON way.  MOTD had that graphic which clearly showed how we were better tactically than when we lost 7-1.

The average position that each player touched the ball in graphic? I thought that was quite good. Explained a lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal