collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League 2024-2025 by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 12:04:37 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rory
[Today at 12:04:13 AM]

Spurs v Manchester City match thread by Pat McMahon
[Today at 12:04:03 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 12:02:39 AM]

Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by wince
[May 14, 2024, 11:52:42 PM]

Ollie Watkins by aldridgeboy
[May 14, 2024, 11:34:07 PM]

Caption Contest T.Hanks by aldridgeboy
[May 14, 2024, 11:29:53 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by aldridgeboy
[May 14, 2024, 11:27:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 12:04:37 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Rory
[Today at 12:04:13 AM]

Re: Spurs v Manchester City match thread by Pat McMahon
[Today at 12:04:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 12:02:39 AM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:00:27 AM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by adrenachrome
[May 14, 2024, 11:58:16 PM]

Re: Spurs v Manchester City match thread by Mellin
[May 14, 2024, 11:57:22 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[May 14, 2024, 11:56:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 438462 times)

Offline villa1

Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1260 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:06 AM »
Where's this list of Carew's then?

I think out of the whole article that's the only thing I wasn't aware of.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #1261 on: January 02, 2011, 02:40:10 AM »

I don't know if it is true but this is supposedly his list of "best managers" from a Norwegian newspaper.

1.Nils Arne Eggen

2.Capello

3.Benitez

4.O`Neill

5.del Bosque

6.Cuper

7.Houllier

Has he played for all of these?

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #1262 on: January 02, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1263 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:35 AM »
Not too much to argue with although, personally, I'd give Ireland a smack in the mouth rather than an arm around the shoulder.

Interesting that the Dunne training ground spat is now being accepted as having happened, if not the scale of the row being confirmed.

Reconciliation is one thing, but the restoration of any of the "Bodymoor Three" to the team is a huge risk considering their performances so far this season. If they were excluded for footballing reasons is it on that basis that they are under consideration for recall? And does our dressing room need any further disruption from disgruntled players?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1264 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
Not too much to argue with although, personally, I'd give Ireland a smack in the mouth rather than an arm around the shoulder.

Interesting that the Dunne training ground spat is now being accepted as having happened, if not the scale of the row being confirmed.

Reconciliation is one thing, but the restoration of any of the "Bodymoor Three" to the team is a huge risk considering their performances so far this season. If they were excluded for footballing reasons is it on that basis that they are under consideration for recall? And does our dressing room need any further disruption from disgruntled players?

According to the Mail online, he has been ordered to reinstate them by Lerner and Faulkner.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #1265 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
Can't believe that
They'd be undermining houllier in a very public way if that's true which to me would say they've lost confidence in him and he's facing the chop imminently

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1266 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

According to the Mail online, he has been ordered to reinstate them by Lerner and Faulkner.

Not sure how much truth there is in this, but I'm not one who will disregard tabloid rumours (football ones anyway). When many on here poured scorn on the Dunne training ground story, I did point out that stories such as this are rarely without foundation. I hope it's not true though, this sort of inteference harks back to the days of big bad Doug.

My own view is that among the many problems at Villa, Faulkner is a major one. Of course, this is based purely on suspicion and I have absolutely no grounds or evidence to back this up whatsoever and this includes my view that O'Neil would still be manager if Faulkner wasn't around.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1267 on: January 02, 2011, 08:59:52 AM »
If true that Lerner and Faulkner have ordered GED to reinstate Carew, dunne and Ireland he should resign- I doubt they would be stupid enough to interfere in a managers selections but if they did then I would nit want either Faulkner or Lerner at this club!

A manager has to be allowed to manage, I wonder if o neill walked over interference from Faulkner- I hope GED has the balls to kick Carew irfland and dunne out and that lerner shows some balls in backing him-questions are now being asked of Lerner by several people and his halo maybe slipping- now is the time to give the manager the cash and back him totally having decided to stick with him.

The position we are in you either totally back him or sack him and no in between measures- he needs a lot of cash to rebuild and should be given it if they are backing him.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1268 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
Although we can usually take the tabloids with a pinch of salt it has now bben widely reported. There is something wrong at mill or Villa not sure what to believe any more, this i do know, when your facing the biggest challenge for years everyone has to be on the same page. If there are troublemakers at Villa kick them out now usually it is the case of the vocal minority having sway over the silent majority. We or Lerner will lose a lot of money by doing it but we could lose a lot more by keeping them.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1269 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »

I don't know if it is true but this is supposedly his list of "best managers" from a Norwegian newspaper.

1.Nils Arne Eggen

2.Capello

3.Benitez

4.O`Neill

5.del Bosque

6.Cuper

7.Houllier

Has he played for all of these?

Would it be fair to say that this list would appear to be in the order of the folks who picked Carew regularly at the top ?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1270 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
Can't believe that
They'd be undermining houllier in a very public way if that's true which to me would say they've lost confidence in him and he's facing the chop imminently

I'm sure that they haven't said you have to pick Dunne and Ireland in the starting line up every week. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd said "we're paying these blokes over £100k a week between them and we think you should perhaps try to finfd a way to use them" while at te same time saying to the players "stop being silly buggers we're paying you over £100k a week".

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1271 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
Which would seem to be a reasonable thing for the bloke funding it to say.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1272 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »
Which would seem to be a reasonable thing for the bloke funding it to say.

It also makes sense, We had enough of that under Mon

Offline eastie

« Reply #1273 on: January 02, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
chairman should not be telling the manager anything about team selection - if they did im sure most managers would walk and houllier is a strong manager , he would not put up with it and neither should he.
all this speculation could easily be nipped in the bud by lerner saying he is totally in support of the manager - not hiding behind faulkner or the general but from the horses mouth for once, i watched john henry at liverpool and he came across brilliantly and told liverpool fans exactly as he saw it , id like more from randy even if its just once in his 4 years !

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1274 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »
chairman should not be telling the manager anything about team selection - if they did im sure most managers would walk and houllier is a strong manager , he would not put up with it and neither should he.
all this speculation could easily be nipped in the bud by lerner saying he is totally in support of the manager - not hiding behind faulkner or the general but from the horses mouth for once, i watched john henry at liverpool and he came across brilliantly and told liverpool fans exactly as he saw it , id like more from randy even if its just once in his 4 years !

All owners interfere in team matters as it is them who are funding it, to believe otherwise is extremely naive. They shouldn't attempt to pick the side but surely they are within their rights to encourage a manager to use the players who they are paying. It's no different from them allegedly trying to get MON to either use or sell squad players which you were entirely supportive of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal