collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437340 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #1110 on: December 30, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
Quote from: Willie Anderson

-14 Goal Difference worst in the premier, how many stats do you want?.

In my opinion GH was a bad appointment(from the looks of the poll I'm not in the minority by some margin). I was however prepared to give him time, I now fear to give him anymore will decimate the squad(a la Graham Turner) he will bring in foreign youngsters which will displace our own very good homegrown players. So when we get relegated at the end of the season we will have less money with a shitload of disgruntled foreigners we have to ship out when GH finally gets the bullet.

Get rid of NOW let the new guy spend whatever transfer kitty we have & hopefully we will be satified with sixth from bottom at the end of the season

you've given two stats and 7 of those goals were in two games that Houllier wasn't a part of.

And who is out there, that would either ditch his current employer on the eve of the transfer window, or is free that will galvanzie the club, know what it needs and bring in suitable talent to change our current position.

tick, tick, tick ... waits for Jol's name to be thrown out or the newest poster boy Coyle, but privately fears he'll say Allardyce

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1111 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
It's the motivational side of GH that worries me, or lack of it. Liverpool was a good case in point. He could'nt even motivate the players against a side without Gerrard and Torres and instead we found ourselves 2 goals down inside 10 mins.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
Sacking GH would be a mistake.
The team are struggling for form, the squad is badly hit by injuries and those that are left have been very mediocre. We are right to be concerned how things are going but calling for Houlliers head is not the answer.
Take the following scenario....
Keep Houllier and let him move on some of the deadwood in January. With his scouting network abroad we may just see some decent talent arrive as he starts to mould O'neils squad into his own.
Sack Houllier, replace him with Big Sam/Jol or similar who will want to make an impression and rush out and buy mediocre players for the sake of trying to appease the fans and wanting to be seen as trying to change things but really just making things worse.

We need to get behind the team now. Aston Villa FC and us supporters will be here long after the show ponies have gone.

Offline eastie

« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
I must admit I can see why houllier rotated his midfield with 2 games in 3 days but was surprised he played 2 yung lads v spurs and 2 experienced v citeh, would rather have seen delph and reo coker in one and petrov and hogg in the other to blend youth with experience.

The worry for me after Liverpool was houllier saying at 2-0 it was game over , a pity sir alex didn't think like that when were beating them
2-0!

The
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:36:30 PM by east19 »

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
It's the motivational side of GH that worries me, or lack of it. Liverpool was a good case in point. He could'nt even motivate the players against a side without Gerrard and Torres and instead we found ourselves 2 goals down inside 10 mins.

I agree to a point, but why do professionals need motivation, especially at this level, at the start of a game. These aren't kids. These are grown men paid handsomely to do a job.

Offline PhilGibson

« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
It is really ironic in a nasty way, that we get ourselves a billionaire owner after years of supposed stagnation as a club and then we are now having probably one of our most worrying seasons in the premier league era.

GH came out the other night and was asked if he realised how big the job was he was taking on, he said no way it is far bigger, with a gloomy and defeated expression.

Ladies and Gents we are in an absolute dog fight whether we want it or not, this premier league is closer than ever. So a big club could fall and that could very well be us.

I am concerned we do not have the senior players ready and willing to fight for survival, for whatever reason they have decided Houiller is not the manager they want. This is the same group of players who were supposedely popping champagne corks via text when MON left, and were clambering for Kevin Mac to get the job, and then went out and played against Newcastle in one of the most abject performance seen in a long time. 6-0 to a newly promoted Newcastle team is so far from being acceptable it hurts.

There is a poison at the club and it needs to change, MON saw the writing on the wall and decided to jump. We can talk all we want about the manager and the owner but ultimately this set of players needs to pull us out of the mess or be moved on in January if they are not up for the fight. They are taking us for absolute mugs and do not care one iota for the club or us as fans.

GH said in his TV interview after the Man City game when asked about the threat of relegation and the January window "We are in a relegation battle, we were before the game and we are now, I need to see that the players who are here now are ready for this battle, or if they are not!"

A telling comment if you ask me.

GH has created a lot of issues this is a given and he has to take a massive portion of the blame, but lets not kid ourselves to say this was a rose garden before he joined because it was not. The signs have been there for a number of months.

I do not believe the owner is going to sack the manager, he has proven time and again with Cleveland Browns that he sticks by his appointments, he is not flavour of the month with them because of it, so what choice do we have? We need to allow him to ship out the players who do not want to be here and then the owner needs to allow him to replace them, whether short term loans or long term deals we need players who want to play and fight for our premier league status.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

I agree to a point, but why do professionals need motivation, especially at this level, at the start of a game. These aren't kids. These are grown men paid handsomely to do a job.

because some of them are bone idle lazy fuckers, and Houllier knows it and they dont like it

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
I must admit I can see why houllier rotated his midfield with 2 games in 3 days but was surprised he played 2 yung lads v spurs and 2 experienced v citeh, would rather have seen delph and reo coker in one and petrov and hogg in the other to blend youth with experience.

he had said in the press conference ahead of the Spurs game that NRC was close to being ready. I think it's why Delph might have started and then rested vs Man City. Either way, both players have had injury issues so neither are fully fit. Throw Petrov in that mix, and the need to not over play Bannan and Hogg it becomes a complicated juggling act to get balance, experience, energy and talent.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
No one in their right minds would suggest after so few games that Hodgson, Grant or Hughes should be sacked, except some of the fans of those clubs.

So why the hell should GH be sacked? 

1. I'm not in my right mind I am in a state of abject panic.

2. I'm a fan of Aston Villa FC & I'm calling for the sacking of it's manager, who else would?

3. His lack of tactical know-how,his lack of passion, his inability to change things around, by mostly his appallinging divisivness & man managment skills. The man is a grade A twat, his personality just alienates the people around him & all the while he just pouts & blames anyone but himself.

1. Settle down now.

2. No one else in their right mind, unless he was in a panic.

3. He has far more varied tactical experience than the majority of the PL managers.  He may not shout on the touchline like MON did, but who does?  Shouting wasn't something he did at Liverpool but he had the respect of the players.  I assume you do not like his confrontational approach to Carew, Dunne and Ireland, well I do and if it encourages them to go then that is good management.  The personality we see publicly is not necessarily the personality seen by those around and closer to him.  For the most recent performances he should not be blaming himself, but the players they have played like prats.

Finally, have a long cold drink.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

because some of them are bone idle lazy fuckers, and Houllier knows it and they dont like it

yep, yet some on here have clearly taken their side. I'm sure if Houllier could rid himself of the cancers at the club this January it would be as important, if not more important than anyone he actually signs.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1120 on: December 30, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »

I think most of us would have expected that. I was stunned when i saw Hogg and Delph lined up against Spurs. I hate to think who he's going to pick against Chelsea. It would'nt surprise me if he threw Clark back in.

Offline Willie Anderson

« Reply #1121 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
Quote from: Willie Anderson

-14 Goal Difference worst in the premier, how many stats do you want?.

In my opinion GH was a bad appointment(from the looks of the poll I'm not in the minority by some margin). I was however prepared to give him time, I now fear to give him anymore will decimate the squad(a la Graham Turner) he will bring in foreign youngsters which will displace our own very good homegrown players. So when we get relegated at the end of the season we will have less money with a shitload of disgruntled foreigners we have to ship out when GH finally gets the bullet.

Get rid of NOW let the new guy spend whatever transfer kitty we have & hopefully we will be satified with sixth from bottom at the end of the season

you've given two stats and 7 of those goals were in two games that Houllier wasn't a part of.

And who is out there, that would either ditch his current employer on the eve of the transfer window, or is free that will galvanzie the club, know what it needs and bring in suitable talent to change our current position.

tick, tick, tick ... waits for Jol's name to be thrown out or the newest poster boy Coyle, but privately fears he'll say Allardyce

Again how many stats do you want? Stats can be used anyway you want to prove or disprove a point of view the table doesn't lie, its the manner of our defeats, the dejectedness in the playing squad that worry me the most.

Who do I want? Anyone but Houllier! Please God his time is at an end & we will have a new man in by the Sunderland game.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1122 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »

I agree entirely, but if we are dragged into a relegation scrap, we need someone who's going to get 100% out of his players and i'm just not sure if GH is capable of it.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #1123 on: December 30, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
When GH arrived at Liverpool he upset the grouyp referred to I think as the spice boys.  A group of players who liked to party.  He got rid of those he didn't want and thats what he is doing here.  He is bound to upset a few who will lead with their chins or use their heads and either way go asap.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1124 on: December 30, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
Who do I want? Anyone but Houllier! Please God his time is at an end & we will have a new man in by the Sunderland game.
Smashing. I think Dowie's available. Curbishley and Megson are probably at a loose end as well. We could probably tempt Gregory back from Israel as well.

Shame Newcastle already snapped up Pardew.

I'm guessing you didn't actually mean 'anybody'?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal