collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:11:19 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:55:50 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by The Edge
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 08:11:19 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Dick Edwards
[Today at 08:06:22 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:05:36 PM]

Re: Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:02:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 07:57:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier  (Read 437391 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Gerard Houllier
« Reply #540 on: December 29, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
It's a valid point that we have had this run of results in recent seasons but usually beginning in march- if houllier stays he really has to get the troublemakers out and fast- if that means Ireland and dunne onnloan so be it but get rid of them and Carew and maybe the poison will be gone- also friedal wasn't very happy with geds appointment if we believe the press as he and warnock were cleared out by GED at Liverpool.

Friedal is past it and I'd get rid now - bring a few new faces in and we have a chance but for god sake clear out the rabble that are being paid fortunes and doing nothing for the club.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:10:32 AM by east19 »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #541 on: December 29, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
Back him. Sacking a manager after four months is ridiculous if you have any confidence in the process that brought him here. Yes, things are bad. Things are very bad. But Houllier has been in a crisis before; he is as unlikely to get us relegated as Big Sam. With Houllier there is at least hope that he, in time, will build a capable side. With Big Sam all we can look forward to is five seasons of hard to beat-dross masquerading as football leading to mid-table positions at best.

Some patience, eh? Note: we are not in the relegation zone.

Indeed, a slightly poorer version of the O'Neill years. No thanks!

I think we can all make our comments on the Houllier situation, but without any of us really knowing what is going on behind the scenes it's pissing in the wind somewhat. I personally worry that 6 years away from this league is making it tough for him to get back into, and we need a younger manager with fresh ideas and recent experience of it all, who will not be afraid to think outside of the box in the transfer market getting some decent value for money (unlike O'Neill).
My other concern is that Lerner and Houllier have agreed to ship out that much of the shit over the next 6 months or so that if many of those players are aware of it, it is destabilizing the whole squad. But that is just another theory really.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #542 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »
Yes but we had points on th board to stand that bad run then, we do not have that luxury this time.

How many more players does he need to fall out with?

As many as it takes to weed out all the journey men.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #543 on: December 29, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
To those who want to give GH time, I would like to ask a genuine question, I'm not being funny or picky, but would like to know what have you seen that makes you believe that more time and more games will improve things for the manager at the club ?
It can't be that the transfer window will bring in loads of new, hungry determined players that will magically turn things for us.
What is it that gives you the faith that we won't get trapped in this relegation battle we are now in ?

Offline Moorski

« Reply #544 on: December 29, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
As many as it takes to weed out all the journey men.

Ok but Albrighton & Lichaj do not fall into that catergory
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:18:54 AM by Moorski »

Offline NeilH

« Reply #545 on: December 29, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »
What is it that gives you the faith that we won't get trapped in this relegation battle we are now in ?

We are in it no matter what and a change of manager will not change things and will only serve to prevent us getting anyone in come January.

For whatever reason and as already discussed in another thread, our senior players have simply given up and the burden is sitting firmly in the laps of our young,possibly very talented, but still young kids. It is the senior players who need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves how they can sleep at night earning the money they do and performing as they are. I cannot see a new manager waving a magic wand and altering this.

There is no way in hell that Houllier is going anywhere right now as Randy and the board will be desperate to maintain their credibility at making appointments.

As fans we have two options, spur on the team and hope that we can muster enough points against the dross to avoid the trap door, or give up and watch the club slide into oblivion. I know which one I'd prefer no matter what my feelings towards Houllier and certain players are.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #546 on: December 29, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »

We are in it no matter what and a change of manager will not change things and will only serve to prevent us getting anyone in come January.

For whatever reason and as already discussed in another thread, our senior players have simply given up and the burden is sitting firmly in the laps of our young,possibly very talented, but still young kids. It is the senior players who need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves how they can sleep at night earning the money they do and performing as they are. I cannot see a new manager waving a magic wand and altering this.

There is no way in hell that Houllier is going anywhere right now as Randy and the board will be desperate to maintain their credibility at making appointments.

As fans we have two options, spur on the team and hope that we can muster enough points against the dross to avoid the trap door, or give up and watch the club slide into oblivion. I know which one I'd prefer no matter what my feelings towards Houllier and certain players are.

Absolutely spot on.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #547 on: December 29, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »
As I said yesterday, Who in their right mind is going to want to come?

All the top players will want to leave

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #548 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
As I said yesterday, Who in their right mind is going to want to come?

All the top players will want to leave

have we got any top players ?  I cant count too many

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #549 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
Holt's piece is astoundingly naive and simplistic. I'm struggling to believe any editor would let that fly. Even for The Mirror.

No, he's not - he's a Stockport fan. Still a twat, mind

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #550 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »

I agree to a point. But you are telling me about your feelings and how you will continue to support the club because you won't turn against the club (the same as most of us).
My question is, what is is that people have seen in GH that make them believe HE can turn our fortunes around.
To my eyes, things have got progressively worse. Defensively we are a shambles, in midfield we are lightweight and overrun, and upfront we are lacklustre and totally ineffective.
I have seen nothing in GH's tactics, team selections and more importantly, motivational skills that suggest that he can motivate the overpaid bunch of arse's that represent us at this time.
If he can't do a manager's job, then its time to cut him loose.

Offline Tony

« Reply #551 on: December 29, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »
I'm losing patience quicker than I should, I still believe we need to give him until the summer, it's absurd to sack a manager without giving him the chance to bring in some players of his own liking, he inherited a bad situation, caused by MON who left at a time to cause maximum damage.

However, the pathetic defensive displays just go on and on, we don't close the opposition down, we don't track runners, we don't do the basics and you have to look at the tactics and the coaching here and Houllier has to address this, we have been piss poor defensively all season, this is why I'm losing patience with him, we have decent defenders but something is woefully wrong with how they're defending.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #552 on: December 29, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
I still think Houllier can do the job, and long term he's the best option for it, but my concern is that it will take too long for him to change the personnel enough to impose the style of football he wants.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #553 on: December 29, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
If he does not go, and while I understand and sympathise with all the cases for not being hasty and giving the man more time when time is something we do not have - I have seen nothing which suggests he is the man to save our Premiership status.

Which is more important, being fair and responsible and doing the decent thing by a manager who seems a nice man or staying in the top flight?   Before you even start to think how impossible it is to claw your way back to me it is a no brainer.

I would accept Vlad the Impaler or Pedro the Cruel or Ivan the Terrible or Paul Daniels as manager of our team if it preserved our Premiership survival.    It is too big a prize to piss away being decent and thoughtful and reflective and honourable and all the things used as excuses for failure.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #554 on: December 29, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »
If he does not go, and while I understand and sympathise with all the cases for not being hasty and giving the man more time when time is something we do not have - I have seen nothing which suggests he is the man to save our Premiership status.

Which is more important, being fair and responsible and doing the decent thing by a manager who seems a nice man or staying in the top flight?   Before you even start to think how impossible it is to claw your way back to me it is a no brainer.

I would accept Vlad the Impaler or Pedro the Cruel or Ivan the Terrible or Paul Daniels as manager of our team if it preserved our Premiership survival.    It is too big a prize to piss away being decent and thoughtful and reflective and honourable and all the things used as excuses for failure.

I agree with that.

But not about Paul Daniels.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal