collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:14:04 AM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:12:04 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Keeno
[Today at 01:11:44 AM]

Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 01:09:17 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:08:54 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:56:47 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by adrenachrome
[Today at 12:48:40 AM]

Diego Carlos by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:48:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tommy Docherty wishes  (Read 4100 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
Tommy Docherty wishes
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you Villains everywhere !  8)

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Re: Tommy Docherty wishes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
Thanks for that, that was one of my first matches and can still remember that team well. Ah the good old days (swings the lamp)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Theres a great video of this game posted elsewhere.

Those few months of The Doc when he arrived in a whirlwind telling us what a great club we were and  filled the ground were so exciting. For that reason he remains one of my biggest heroes.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »

Billy Anderson?  I never kept old programmes so can't look it up but was he usually listed as Billy?

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
Good spot !
I have literally 1000s of programmes all pre mid 80s and these days stacked away in no particular order.
Ive just pulled out some old programmes. End of 66/67 programmes, the season during which he arrived he is Willie. All the 68-69 programmes he is listed as Billy. All the 1970s programmmes he is listed again as Willie.
In that same QPR programme listing him in the team as Billy Anderson, in the appearances and goalscorers list elsewhere he is Anderson W. 
Why, I have no idea.

28 Sept 1968 Oxford United, No.11 Billy Anderson. With No.5 for Oxford, Ron Atkinson.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:20:27 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
Note the page number at the bottom is 212. You were obtaining for your 1/- one part of that seasons Aston Villa News & Record, in this instance Vol. XXVI  No. 14.

Dont ask me why but the next two pages numbers are 182 and 183 ??
This has Villa Views. "It`s great to be a Villa man these days. Everywhere around us at Villa Park there is an atmosphere that inspires confidence.....an air of something being done to fulfil all those promises of restoring the Villa glory. But part of this resurgence must be borne by the supporter. From the boardroom......throughout the entire staff - who in divers ways assist in staging the Saturday spectacular - to the players on the field, the theme is......lets win with Villa".     

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
"Willie" Anderson had a little spell at the time when he wanted to be called "Billy" in the programme, the same thing happened with "Mick" Wright, who insisted on being called "Michael" for a similar time.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
What was the score.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
little anecdote...

coming back from Euro 2000 a couple of days after England had lost to Portugal, I was in London Euston at about 5:45 a.m, waiting for the first train to Brum, when a voice behind me asked "where did you get the paper from", I turned round and it was none other than Tommy Docherty.
Recognising him immediately, I gave him the respectful line "are you Tommy Docherty", so anyway once all that was over and done with I mentioned the famous quote about 35,000 Villa supporters turning out to see the shirts on a washing line, which is something he said shortly after taking over at Villa Park. The Doc seemed a bit taken a back by the recital of that to be honest. Finally, after talking for a few minutes about the England game, I handed him my copy of The Mirror and with that he was gone on the 06:00 to Manchester. So I gave Tommy Docherty my newspaper and I am proud of that!

Merry Christmas :)

Up The Villa!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
Great story  Zhong, I love things like that.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
That was one of those games where their mob tried to take the Holte. I remember looking down the steps at the back watching them make their way up. They lasted for about 20 minutes before they were chased off to the Trinity lower, which was terracing back then. 

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »
That was one of those games where their mob tried to take the Holte. I remember looking down the steps at the back watching them make their way up. They lasted for about 20 minutes before they were chased off to the Trinity lower, which was terracing back then. 

I hope they all queued in an orderly manner and paid their 2/- or whatever it was at the transfer turnstile.

QPR also had someone with a massive drum that they would irritate everybody with. Didnt Villa fans manage to `dismantle` it for him at some subsequent fixture ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal