collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:56:15 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:52:56 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:56:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:55:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:55:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 01:54:32 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:52:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Now Beye in bust up....  (Read 40709 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Now Beye in bust up....
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2010, 03:17:48 AM »
I dunno.

But one could quite easily make the argument that with only two of his first choice signings currently 25 or under (even if one of them is now at Man Citeh) and nine in the 30 bracket  (or not far off) then at least part of Malcolm's claim vis a vis ageing squad has merit.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
I always thought the problem was that MON wouldn't push the boat out for that one top signing that would bridge the gap from top 6 to top 4, it sounded like Randy was itching to give him more money rather than less money.

We've still got £18M from the Milner deal so it's not like the cupboard is bare.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2010, 09:16:44 AM »
You agree that Petrov didn't come good until his third season though?
I'd say he was certainly better when he moved to his current position. I certainly don't think he was a disaster beforehand though.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I dunno.

But one could quite easily make the argument that with only two of his first choice signings currently 25 or under (even if one of them is now at Man Citeh) and nine in the 30 bracket  (or not far off) then at least part of Malcolm's claim vis a vis ageing squad has merit.

I think 9 in the 30 bracket is a little misleading, it was always thought 27-30 was the peak for footballers which is what we have got, the only trouble with that is that once you get past 30 you're unlikely to recoup your transfer fee back, but then do we want them to play for us or do we want them as assets. A comparision to the league champions would be interesting.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
I always thought the problem was that MON wouldn't push the boat out for that one top signing that would bridge the gap from top 6 to top 4, it sounded like Randy was itching to give him more money rather than less money.

Yep. Randy never had any issues with him signing that grand player for a shitload of money and massive wages.
He did have a massive problem with him signing shit players for massive money and massive wages to never be heard of again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:31:57 AM by Troy Eccles »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

Yep. Randy never had any issues with him signing that grand player for a shitload of money and massive wages.
He did have a massive problem with him signing shit players for massive money and massive wages to never be heard of again.

Exactly my thoughts.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »

I agree with you, and back on topic I think Habib Beye was probably the one that tipped the balance for Randy, an ordindary ageing full back on ridiculous wages playing the first few games in the season.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »
I do

I agree with you, and back on topic I think Habib Beye was probably the one that tipped the balance for Randy, an ordindary ageing full back on ridiculous wages playing the first few games in the season.

I think it was just pure economics rather than a judgement on the standards of players; i.e. we're at the limit of the wage bill so if you want any more players you have to sell so that we keep it at around the same level.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
Cynical Question: Do Beye and Dunne share the same agent?

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »
I no longer have any interest in O'Neill. I am 110% behind Houllier and firmly believe that he will do better, given tme.

Agreed.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »
I dunno.

I think 9 in the 30 bracket is a little misleading, it was always thought 27-30 was the peak for footballers which is what we have got, the only trouble with that is that once you get past 30 you're unlikely to recoup your transfer fee back, but then do we want them to play for us or do we want them as assets. A comparision to the league champions would be interesting.

I don't think it's particularly misleading. We're half way through the current campaign. By the start of next season 8 of that 9 will be 30 or over and Warnock will be 30 in December 2011.

I accept that 30 isn't viewed a quite the cut off point it was many moons ago and that players in decent condition can easily play until their mid 30's and beyond now.

Nevertheless, it's still far from ideal to have the bulk of your first choice XI all growing old together, and that's part of the situation GH inherited. You could possibly get away with that if they were as talented and as Chelsea's lot and took care of themselves, but our lot aren't in that bracket.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2010, 12:26:26 AM »
I dunno.

I don't think it's particularly misleading. We're half way through the current campaign. By the start of next season 8 of that 9 will be 30 or over and Warnock will be 30 in December 2011.

I accept that 30 isn't viewed a quite the cut off point it was many moons ago and that players in decent condition can easily play until their mid 30's and beyond now.

Nevertheless, it's still far from ideal to have the bulk of your first choice XI all growing old together, and that's part of the situation GH inherited. You could possibly get away with that if they were as talented and as Chelsea's lot and took care of themselves, but our lot aren't in that bracket.

Of course it's misleading. You categorised every villa player over the age of 24 as "in the 30 bracket (or not far off)". Now you're added another year or more to their ages "by the start of next season...will be 30 in December.."  in order to make your "over 30" point. You then go on to say it doesn't matter if Chelsea do it because their players "took care of themselves".

There may be a point somewhere in all of this regarding age but it isn't the average age of the squad and it isn't the number of players over the "peak age".

Number of Players 28 and over at start of 2010/2011 (taken from transfermarkt.co.uk)

Man utd 15
Chelsea 13
Arsenal 4
Spurs 10
Man City 9
Villa 11
Liverpool 13
Everton 12

Etc...

Online KevinGage

« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
Well if I'm going to be lectured on misleading stats I'm so glad that it's the Stats Dawg who pulled me up on it.

In very simple terms: GH took over in Sep 2010.
By Sep 2011, eight of the personnel he inherited who were (a) either first team regulars or (b) were in and around the first team will be 30 or over, and one will be 30 three months later. Use all the statistical gymnastics you like (and God knows you usually do) but you won't be able to alter that fact. There's your nine. With most teams only able to field 11 players at any one time, that's a touch on the high side, wouldn't you say?

That's not saying they'll all still be with us by 2011, of course. I'd wager at least half will be gone by then.  But that's the situation GH inherited. A point I'd have thought fairly easy to comprehend. Unless you were deliberately trying to ignore the obvious to -in some way-   validate the previous manager. And you wouldn't be attempting that, would you?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2010, 02:26:43 AM »

Well if I'm going to be lectured on misleading stats I'm so glad that it's the Stats Dawg who pulled me up on it.

In very simple terms: GH took over in Sep 2010.
By Sep 2011, eight of the personnel he inherited who were (a) either first team regulars or (b) were in and around the first team will be 30 or over, and one will be 30 three months later. Use all the statistical gymnastics you like (and God knows you usually do) but you won't be able to alter that fact. There's your nine. With most teams only able to field 11 players at any one time, that's a touch on the high side, wouldn't you say?

That's not saying they'll all still be with us by 2011, of course. I'd wager at least half will be gone by then.  But that's the situation GH inherited. A point I'd have thought fairly easy to comprehend. Unless you were deliberately trying to ignore the obvious to -in some way-   validate the previous manager. And you wouldn't be attempting that, would you?

You're missing the point.

The situation regarding player age that you describe Gerard inheriting at Villa, doesn't appear to be significantly different from the situation that he would have inherited at any other top 8 team except Arsenal. It isn't high, it isn't low, it is normal.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:28:21 AM by Villadawg »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »
heh! good old villadawg. why did you decide to choose 28 as your comparison point? is 28 the new 30?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal