collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long before......  (Read 23978 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: How long before......
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 12:04:31 AM »
the one thing that Houlier has failed to address is our woeful defending, it could be argued that he has not had many options but thier is something seriously wrong with 4 of our back 5 and he needs to address this

Offline stevenjos

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 12:25:33 AM »
Let's keep him, I love the football he's playing

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »
Only idiots would want Houllier out. He's brand new and trying to invoke positive football... it's going to take time but IT WILL benefit us in the long term. When we get it right we'll be back.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 05:50:49 AM »
thing is Houllier is the manager its his coaching staff his regime and sadly Mon's squad.
Many of us suggested it wasn't good enough to cope with too many injuries to key players and that's how its panned out, but Houllier has the job and if it goes sour its his fault.

Yes there are all sorts of mitigating circumstances for which I mostly blame Mon, but its Houllier who carries the blame if it goes wrong and no matter how much we don't like thosse who dare criticise they have every right to if they must.

So, if MoN had still been here and having to deal with our current injury crisi, we'd still be at (or about) 6th place? Is that what you're trying to suggest here? That, if it all goes pear-shaped, the blame lies solely at Houllier's door?

Insanity. Utter insanity, even by your insane standards.

If MoN had been here, we'd certainly have been no better off. In fact, I wonder if he'd still be trying to play half the players that are currently injured...he seemed to have a penchant for driving players into the ground. It was obvious to even the MoN supporters that he had no 'Plan B'. Our current situation would have been quite bemusing under O'Neill.

- "That's my standard starting 11"
- "But most of them are injured, Martin"
- "Terrific, but that's my starting 11".
- "But you can't play them."
- "I don't really understand why"
- "THEY. ARE. BROKEN"
- "But they are my starting 11. Plan A. And Plan B"

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2010, 07:23:14 AM »
We have no choice but to stick with Houllier.   It would be madness to sack him peremptorily even if he gets us relegated which I truly believe he may well do.

HOWEVER.   I do not think he should have been chosen as our manager in the first place.

The single most overwhelming principle in the achievement of success in any kind of venture is that you invest in tomorrow not yesterday. 

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »
We have no choice but to stick with Houllier.   It would be madness to sack him peremptorily even if he gets us relegated which I truly believe he may well do.

HOWEVER.   I do not think he should have been chosen as our manager in the first place.

The single most overwhelming principle in the achievement of success in any kind of venture is that you invest in tomorrow not yesterday. 

I'm not a fan of Houllier either. Don't know why - just don't like him. And I don't think he'll do much more than mid-table. I think perhaps that might be why the senior players seem so out of sorts. They were brought in to compete for a place in the top four and now all they have to do is avoid relegation.

Offline wif

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
I don't think he'll do much more than mid-table. I think perhaps that might be why the senior players seem so out of sorts.

The senior players value your opinion that much?  I'm impressed.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
I don't think he'll do much more than mid-table. I think perhaps that might be why the senior players seem so out of sorts.

The senior players value your opinion that much?  I'm impressed.

It's making my life a misery. I'm going to report them to BT - I can't see any other way of getting some peace and quiet.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »
Who wrote that article?

I'll give you three guesses.

Teh first two don't count.

This bit was funny though

Steve Majors says:
December 2, 2010 at 18:29
IanRobo is only happy when he is knocking one out over O’Neill

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

Under Hou I get the feeling that we will trundle along, picking up some good results along the way, playing good football but ultimatley not troubling the top six or the Wembley ticket office. Thats what I felt when we appointed him and nothing since has changed my mind.

Nice guy, good football but no fire in the belly and limited ambition.

He has to be given time though, to prove naysayers like myself wrong. Heres hoping.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »
If we lose at home to the Baggies then I think he might start getting some real stick but such is the short termism of fans if we win the same people will be singing his name.

I also think the transfer window is key for him. People have already decided that because he's not MON he'll be signing stars from all over the world and I've a feeling that they're going to be disappointed. If he wants players to do a job immediately he's probably going to look for those with PL experience. I just hope that isn't then used a stick with which to beat him.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »
I'm with Chris on this for both points. As we have seen some of the more reactionary posters on here already have been calling for his head. A couple of bad results against Liverpool and Albion and there will be more of them both on here and at the match.

Some people just haven't taken to him and so have been against him from the start. MoN was a tough act to follow and due to a number of factors Houllier hasn't had a fair crack of the whip yet. Sadly, some people refuse to acknowledge that largely due to this not taking to him.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Most Villa fans are waiting to see what he does in the January transfer window before forming an opinion.

Until then, he's not been able to have much of a say in shaping his won team together, and injuries to so many key players is against him.

God knows how we'd be doing if MON was in charge with so many players out.

Offline Gazza1982

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Worst case scenario: We play attractive football, the youngsters get even better but just get relegated (I know , it's a painful thought). We come straight back up much the stronger for it keeping the same best nucleus of the team with a top notch striker and begin the start of something great with a lot of longevity.
AND playing great football too. This crop we have now remind me of manure's in 93 (the ones we stuffed 3-1)

Best Case: after a half dozen or so more games and with some good signings ( Keane and Piquioone will do me) in January we make the Europa league, maybe get to the FA Cup Final with some favourable draws and really do a Spurz next season. I'm optimistic, granted the guy isn't really oozing with charisma but I like the way he's thinking even if results could be better, either scenario, he needs to be given 2 seasons IMO.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
Most Villa fans are waiting to see what he does in the January transfer window before forming an opinion.

Until then, he's not been able to have much of a say in shaping his won team together, and injuries to so many key players is against him.

God knows how we'd be doing if MON was in charge with so many players out.

Agree apart from your last sentence Tim.  Why would Martin O Neill be doing any worse than Houllier is currently doing?  It sometimes feels (not necessarily you, just a general point)  like I'm listening to a mate who is running his ex girlfriend down in order to make being dumped less painful :)

I think a MON side would be grinding out draws, but just because I think it doesn't make it so.  All about opinions I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal