collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!  (Read 37535 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: Houllier slams 'stupid' Carew!
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »
Legend too strong maybe, but he will be remembered for years to come though as a fan favourite. He has been our most consistent and most prolific goal scorer for 4 years, he isn't in the best of form at the moment, but still deserves abit of respect. Which Houllier has not shown.
Isn't in the best of form at the moment?????? You truly are the king of understatement. At the moment makes it sound like the last few weeks, whereas in reality it's been the last year or so

Last year??? Carew was out top scorer last season, that's fact! Another fact is that it looks as though his villa career is nearing an end.

I and most villa fans will remember Carew and if he ever came back as a player he would get a great reception.

The whole point of this thread was that Houllier has come out and criticised Carew in public without telling him first. This is in my opinion a lack of respect.

People have this notion that Carew doesn't care when in thruth he has had alot of injuries which have affected his form.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not a fact that "it looks as though his Villa career is nearing an end", it's a possibility and a probability, but it's not a fact.

Also you sound as though you have your time-line muddled, Houllier, when asked, said Carew (as any player) needs to prove he is worth a new contract, nothing wrong with that IMO, then Carew starts mouthing off that this is disrespectful, then Houllier responded. No doubt that there's been a bit of media manipulation here, but Houllier's initial comments were innocuous and yet Carew responds in great hypocrite style, by saying to the media that people shouldn't be saying things to the media. Not the smartest of chaps is he. I would agree with Houllier that he is 'stupid' to say the things he did, unless of course there is some ulterior motive.   

Offline jeowje

« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
Nothing but respect for the manager from these comments.  I thought there might be an issue between them when Houllier arrived because of the Leon relationship, but Gerard is right, Carew has done very little for us for a long time, and I can't for the life of me understand why fans sing his name...

Offline eastie

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2010, 05:35:53 PM »
Carew is no great loss to us- I'm sure he will be allowed to leave on a free in January.

Some people seem very critical of houllier but he has inherited this squad and we are decimated with injuries- we are only 3 points off the top 6 so there's no panic- he has been able to see who is worth keeping and who isn't and I'm sure he will improve us greatly in the next 2 transfer windows- keep the faith!

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
What a twat Carew is. He's done nothing on the pitch since 20 mins against Reading last year, and is obviously far more bothered about fans singing his name than playing or scoring. He can feck off. Houllier has done nothing wrong, but for Carew to claim Houllier has more to prove to the fans than he does is ridiculous and shows how obsessed he is with his own cult hero status (which for me is an absurd belief held by some Villa fans) and how disrespectful he is about the new regime.

If I ever see him in a Villa shirt again I will be very disappointed. He's the past, not the club's present or future.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
I think we should all get a sense of perspective. We must all remember that Gérard Houllier has vast experience when it comes to hanging on for a result. It's not as if he's got previous when it comes to losing in the 94th minute, is it?
Wasn't that scored in the regulation 90?
94 minutes and 58 seconds. That's why it was fucking awesome. I was watching live.

Houllier (on Canal + France) was still calling Ginola a 'twat' for his crossfield ball this summer, seventeen years later (Ginola went ape and said he wanted to press charges for libel or whatever). So it must be fresh in his mind...

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
Oh so someone who offers a different view to yours is a moron.  How puerile. 

No, it was your post that led us to that conclusion.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
I think we should all get a sense of perspective. We must all remember that Gérard Houllier has vast experience when it comes to hanging on for a result. It's not as if he's got previous when it comes to losing in the 94th minute, is it?
94 minutes and 58 seconds. That's why it was fucking awesome. I was watching live.

Houllier (on Canal + France) was still calling Ginola a 'twat' for his crossfield ball this summer, seventeen years later (Ginola went ape and said he wanted to press charges for libel or whatever). So it must be fresh in his mind...

I was just going on the clock in the corner that was ticking up to 45.00. According to that it was scored 44:58.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »

Yet another reason I'm warming to this manager.
I'm still seething at that fat ponce waving to all the lovely Tottingham fans whilst warming up as a substitute for us, and that was the best part of 10 years ago.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
LeeB you are fuckin hilarious.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
What a twat Carew is. He's done nothing on the pitch since 20 mins against Reading last year, and is obviously far more bothered about fans singing his name than playing or scoring. He can feck off. Houllier has done nothing wrong, but for Carew to claim Houllier has more to prove to the fans than he does is ridiculous and shows how obsessed he is with his own cult hero status (which for me is an absurd belief held by some Villa fans) and how disrespectful he is about the new regime.

If I ever see him in a Villa shirt again I will be very disappointed. He's the past, not the club's present or future.

I reckon the people who support him at the games aren't as enlightened as we internet users and that they base their opinion solely on the fact he is one of the most prolific goalscorers they have ever seen in a Villa shirt. Dopes.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
Whether you side with Carew or Mr Houllier, the fact is that the latter agreed to a swap deal that relieved us of Baros and got us a significant goalthreat for years after.  I suppose we must like him for that at least.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »
LeeB you are fuckin hilarious.

Thank you, that's very gracious of you.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »
even during periods that he was apparently "on fire" he would play games intent on giving away free kicks by pushing and shoving, he is one of those players that you can tell after about 15 minutes what sort of game he is going to have, sadly most times dissapointing and now all the time

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
I don't think either of them come out of this particularly well. Carew shouldn't have made the comments he did but Houllier should have dealt with it in private not through the press, it's undignified

I have to agree with this 100%. I thought pretty much the same thing after i read it.

As for Carew being a Villa Legend, just because he has his own song, dose'nt make him a legend.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal