collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:21:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 02:05:37 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:04:45 PM]

Re: MOTD by LeeB
[Today at 01:56:14 PM]

Re: VAR by LeeB
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 56692 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
I would have taken a point before the match but as usual a last minute or late late goal denies us. To be fair for the last twenty minutes i kept saying  to my missus we're going to give them an equalizer at the death, it was inevitable and sure enough......
The goals will come provided we buy a striker, i dont think theres too much else wrong at the minute and we have a decent crop of youngsters, a decent boss and some real deadwood left over from MON's regime. I think its better  GH comes in and starts off slowly, building his own team rather than winning his first five or six in the usual management honeymoon process before realization sets in. But a bit of money on some forward options definitely  needs to be spent in January.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
I would have taken a point before the match but as usual a last minute or late late goal denies us. To be fair for the last twenty minutes i kept saying  to my missus we're going to give them an equalizer at the death, it was inevitable and sure enough......
The goals will come provided we buy a striker, i dont think theres too much else wrong at the minute and we have a decent crop of youngsters, a decent boss and some real deadwood left over from MON's regime. I think its better  GH comes in and starts off slowly, building his own team rather than winning his first five or six in the usual management honeymoon process before realization sets in. But a bit of money on some forward options definitely  needs to be spent in January.
[/quote

Agree on the striker thing, he needs to do a swap of Carew for err err, haven't a clue but I'm sure GH will think of something.

Online frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
yes, delfouneso was nowhere near his premium, but he showed signs of what he can do, in what is an unfamiliar role to him, playing up top on his own... he is not, nor is he ever going to be, a lone striker... its a shame that the chance he gets is trying to perform that role... i thought he did reasonably well considering... and at 19, he has time to grow into different roles, and being thrown into the deep end will help his development and give him experience of a different role to what he is used to... (for the record, he is the classic number 10 striker, if ever i saw one)... have to say though, his hold up play at one point where he used his quick feet, rather than bulk, was superb, and while his overall performance was not fantastico, he certainly showed promise and got into some good positions for his chances... (and again, for the record, his heading, is certainly not his strongest area of shooting, as he will readily admit himself)... so i am enthused, without going overboard over his performance, he was certainly a plus point for me from the game...
I said in an earlier post that I was disappointed in his performance, but I think the basic problem, as you suggest, was the role he was given. Far too often Friedel booted the ball in his direction, and against Hangeland in the air he had no chance. If we don't have a strong target man in the team that tactic is just a waste. If Defouneso had had someone like Heskey to play off he could have been much more effective. If, however, Gabby isn't available against Blackpool and Delfouneso keeps his place it would make much more sense to play the ball out wide or on the ground through the centre rather than booting it up towards the centre circle.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
absolutely frank, but the experience will have done him good... wont get much more difficult than competing with hangelaand for headers, and he does need to add that to his game, so while he didnt look too comfortable, the more he does it, the better he will get, and that will be another feather to his cap...

the one thing i think houllier has mentioned is that he thinks delfouneso is a year or so away from really challenging for a regular first team spot, which will still make him younger than albrighton when he got his real regular chance... so i think he has a future here, which was the concern i had when houllier ignored him a while back.. and while i really do believe he can more than do a job given the right circumstance, even now, it may be an idea to send him out on loan to a club like derby county or leeds united in january (providing we bring someone in)... get him used to playing in front of big crowds, get some form up and a bit of confidence, and then come back pre season chomping at the bit, like bannon did...

Online frank

« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »
Not Leeds! We don't want to be helping them back to the PL!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

I said in an earlier post that I was disappointed in his performance, but I think the basic problem, as you suggest, was the role he was given. Far too often Friedel booted the ball in his direction, and against Hangeland in the air he had no chance. If we don't have a strong target man in the team that tactic is just a waste. If Defouneso had had someone like Heskey to play off he could have been much more effective. If, however, Gabby isn't available against Blackpool and Delfouneso keeps his place it would make much more sense to play the ball out wide or on the ground through the centre rather than booting it up towards the centre circle.

Strange you should say that when 3 of his misses were from clear headers ?

It was very annoying that no one took responsibility in the last second to take out Hangelaand when the cross came in. Considering the experience in the defence its pathetic no one stood up to do it or designate someone too.
Had Coker been there I'm sure he would have.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Once we get everyone fit and a someone who can finish the chances, I think we'll be a very good side. Some of our football yesterday was an absolute joy to watch.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Have to admit Bannan was a different class yesterday, perhaps someone suggested the way Ireland is playing he could snatch a long term place. In previous games he looks to have concentrated more on defence than attack but yesterday he displayed a tremendous array of passing skills and a vision I've not seen in a Villa player for some time.
What was obvious on reflection after the huge disappointment was that GH has got them far more organised and considering they are without several of the more influential and experienced players they did very well to lead a side who had only lost once at home all season. What was also obvious is that we do not have anyone capable of scoring goals amongst the providers on the pitch, be it Downing, Albrighton, or Young, which considering the number of chances created, far more than Fulham, we ended up struggling to a last minute conceded goal.
With the Fonz the only alternative seemingly Houlliers decision to play without a designated striker was tactically correct, if not tactically effective.
If you don't score goals, you get relegated. Fact not panic, luckily with 27 games left and January's window there's still time.

Online frank

« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »

Strange you should say that when 3 of his misses were from clear headers ?
True, but we were having no success with the long ball from Friedel up to Delfouneso

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
I think Delfouneso had a decent game, the only thing he did wrong really was not hit the target with those headers.

Bannon looked superb, but I am worried about Ash not being able too score.

Our set piece goals has dried up because Ashley is absolutely terrible with a dead ball, we need to get albrighton on set pieces from now on.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
Just watched thehighlights again. Bannan really was influential wasn't he?!

I'm not sure whether we should stick with the same side v Blackpool? Will our younger players have the energy to play again? I'd be tempted to use Ireland's ability to open up a defence, but that would probably mean dropping Fonz and playing Ash up front, which would be a risk.

Could Ireland play alongside Clark in the same way Bannan did? I'm guessing he could with a bit of discipline.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
The problem yesterday was A Youngs  performance, supposed to be our best most influential player, flatters to decieve.
I will be glad when he has gone

Offline mozza

« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »
Haven't read whole thread but majority of what others have posted would agree-

Marc Barry Ciaran did us proud and Nathan cud/shud have nailed a hat-trick

It was clear during the match or on motd but it appeared that a Villa player
fell in the box before Hangerland connected with his header...........

Still photo in Mail on Sunday confirm that Richie Dunne is on his knees-
the bloke is either struggling with injury or form (or both) - MUST be dropped

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
I was angry at another last minute goal.

Almost as angry as I am at some of the completely moronic slating of 19 year old players on this thread. This site didn't used to have such a high proportion of complete bullshit.

Spot on. The equaliser looked on as we kept missing chances but we have seen the emergence of players who can pass and take opponents on. These players put people like Ashley Young to shame. He will probably get no better while a Villa player but Clark, Albrighton and the superb Bannan are absolute gems. They are already brilliant players and we have to trust that they will develop into world beaters. I am convinced that the presence in the team of these youngsters and their performance will inspire Delfouneso to pick his game up.   

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
And let's not forget our oldest player, who at 39 is having his best season for us.

Well said Frank.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal