collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 56689 times)

Offline Bosco81

Re: Fulham v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
Pleased we went a bit more positive today but then Albrighton does gives us a new dimension going forward.

I have still got great faith in Delfouneso as he is only 19 and he gets in some very good positions, it was a shame he couldn't direct a couple of those headers the other side of the woodwork.

We are going to miss NRC, I hope Ciaran Clark doesn't get type cast as a midfielder as having a centre half with his composure on the ball is going to be a real asset in time, and he gives us that left sided balance.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:43 AM »
We are going to miss NRC, I hope Ciaran Clark doesn't get type cast as a midfielder as having a centre half with his composure on the ball is going to be a real asset in time, and he gives us that left sided balance.

Barry and Gerrard both graduated from Defence to midfield and became considerably better players. Whilst I agree a player in that mould in defence is an asset our pressing need is currently in midfield for the next three games at least. I'm just wondering when Clark will start coaching Warnock on passing and composure on the ball.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »
We certainly need him in midfield for the next month or so, he just looks more like a defender to me.

Barry only ever played in a back 3 so was protected a bit by Southgate and Ugo.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
We certainly need him in midfield for the next month or so, he just looks more like a defender to me.

He also played LB. (and LM) before moving to CM and having his best games.

Offline RossLeach

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
second half excellent, first half we looked average.

bannan will be some player, albrighton and downing did well.

"shoes off if you love villa..........."

As an aside, anyone else want to shout at MoTD when Tony Pulis was moaning about refereeing decisions and the words "Jermaine pennant....dive...free kick....wrong place" came popping into your head?

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »

He also played LB. (and LM) before moving to CM and having his best games.

I appreciate that, I always thought left back would be his position.

Barry was never going to be a centre half in a back 4, whereas Clark can be.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
second half excellent, first half we looked average.

bannan will be some player, albrighton and downing did well.

"shoes off if you love villa..........."

As an aside, anyone else want to shout at MoTD when Tony Pulis was moaning about refereeing decisions and the words "Jermaine pennant....dive...free kick....wrong place" came popping into your head?

But most of those words came into my head from the nature of the goal we gave away and not because of Pullis moaning. Although how did the ref in the stoke game believe the ball was cleared. Did he think Catermole had trapped it between the post and his head rather then in the crook of his arm for 3 seconds.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »
Very poor first half, very ponderous and we always seemed to choose the wrong pass. Much better in the second half and I was very impressed with Clark and Albrighton, Bannan was good when we had the ball but I'm really not sure about him long term.

I hope I'm not being too harsh but I was very disappointed with Fonz, not so much with the chances he missed and some of the 'unusual' positions he took up but more with the way he seemed to play with the weight of the world on his shoulders and his continued looking to the heavens with his hands on his hips when things didn't go his way. There seemed to be many occasions when he had to be bollocked by team matres to get back into the game rather than stand there feeling sorry for himself. On the day of his big chance I didn't think he showed enough hunger to grab it. Too much pressure on him? You'd hope not for a nineteen year old.

Hopefully he'll have a decent run in the team but he has got to want success a lot more than he showed yesterday.

As a direct opposite to that I thought Ashley turned in a captains perfromance for us, he didn't do particularly well with the ball but he never stopped running, tackinlg and encouraging the young lads. Good on him, shame about his bleeding shooting.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
Word to Sidders; if you're going to chat with the opposition subs as you all wander out before the game i) don't make it so obvious, ii) don't act so cheerful and iii) don't make it Andy Johnson that you're talking to !!

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
after calming down after being frustrated yesterday, i have to declare myself pleased with a point against a very good side at their home, especially with 4 academy graduates in the team, and all playing very well...

yes, delfouneso was nowhere near his premium, but he showed signs of what he can do, in what is an unfamiliar role to him, playing up top on his own... he is not, nor is he ever going to be, a lone striker... its a shame that the chance he gets is trying to perform that role... i thought he did reasonably well considering... and at 19, he has time to grow into different roles, and being thrown into the deep end will help his development and give him experience of a different role to what he is used to... (for the record, he is the classic number 10 striker, if ever i saw one)... have to say though, his hold up play at one point where he used his quick feet, rather than bulk, was superb, and while his overall performance was not fantastico, he certainly showed promise and got into some good positions for his chances... (and again, for the record, his heading, is certainly not his strongest area of shooting, as he will readily admit himself)... so i am enthused, without going overboard over his performance, he was certainly a plus point for me from the game...

bannon, clark and albrighton (mistake for the goal aside), were all fantastic... such maturity and freedom from all 3, while at the same time, clark showed good discipline... all 3 look like they have taken to first team football like a duck to water... most impressed with bannon tbh, as while i always knew he has talent and a fantastic attitude, i always worry about his size, but fair play to him, he is proving me wrong, and performing excellently, and looking a real player... long may he continue to prove me wrong, and i for one, could not be more delighted about him ramming my words back down my throat, as no ones attitude and desire, deserves the accolaides more than bannon... really chuffed for the lad... albrighton is showing his continued progression, and its a shame that he made the mistake, but again, he is only just about to turn 21, and only recently gaining the experience needed to help him develop in this area (i wish some people would remember that when slating 19 year old delfouneso), so i have no doubt that he will improve in that area and progress even further... clark is also looking fantastic.. always composed on the ball, very cultured for a centre back, and is playing excellent in a position he is not used to... really chuffed for all of the young lads, and it shows that despite all the injury problems, we do have young players who can be the future of this club....

so for me, it was a good day at the office, despite the frustration of the late goal... when we are integrating so many youngsters into the team in a transitional season, things like that are bound to happen, and i for one, am prepared to accept that to give the youngsters their chance... the season was always going to be difficult anyway, so why not look to the longer term to the detriment of the short term?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2010, 11:49:49 AM »
Do we all agree that  their equaliser was an own goal?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
On the day of his big chance I didn't think he showed enough hunger to grab it. Too much pressure on him? You'd hope not for a nineteen year old.

Too much pressure, I would say so after reading many of the comments on yesterdays game and previous to this.  The lad made his 1st team debut yesterday and is 19.  He is not a seasoned pro being asked to come into the side and play upfront on his own.

Things he had to cope with yesterday were; inexperience, lack of match fitness, expectations of the supporters on his shoulders, lack of real experience around him etc.

No pressure!

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
He didn't seem to enjoy the game, a marked contrast from the other young lads.

I'm mostly disappointed because we need a 15 goal a season striker and I hope its him, I didn't think he worked hard enough and that is something that he can do something about, all the other things you mention he can't.

I dont want to dwell on it too much, hopefully we'll still be having disagreements about his performances for Villa at the weekend in ten years time.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
i dont think he enjoys that role... whenever he has been forced to do it for the u19s, he has looked uncomfortable and frustrated...

his natural game is behind a target man, (like james collins jnr), where he can drop off the play, run with the ball, run the channels, arrive late in the box, playing others in, etc... the classic number 10 role...

when he is up top on his own, his natural game is sacrificed, and he doesnt cope well with longer balls up to him, and having to hold up the ball for too long...

i think yesterday, he mixed up his game with the lone role, and thats why he sometimes drifted out to the left or deeper in the first half, but when others coaxed him a little, he went more central... its just inexperience of that particular role...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal