collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v The Blues Post-Match Thread  (Read 58671 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Aston Villa v The Blues Post-Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
We were abysmal.  They weren't much better.

Awful, awful game.

Injuries have left a few holes in our team and they will need filling in January otherwise I think we'll struggle.  We really miss Petrov,  he is our only centre midfielder with any composure. 

Offline KRS

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »
I'm listening to the WM radio phone in, villa fans are honestly calling for Houllier to go!
Listening to that drivel as well. WM feeding the bait that Villa are going backwards without taking into account the facts of the situation...basically weak squad hit with injuries and suspensions. Apparently "Blues have bridged the gap" on the basis of that 90 minutes. The best chance they've had in a long time against us and they still couldnt get a decent sniff at goal. Pathetic.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »
A very poor game, but considering our squad and our injuries i'm not that surprised.

Yes very negative 'play safe' tactics from Houllier but i'd rather that than lose the game. The worrying element is that with just 2 players injured, Petrov and Gabby, our side offers a distinct lack of composure and cutting edge. As most of us have been saying for the last couple of years, a quality midfielder and attacker are a must at the next transfer window.

Friedel didn't have too much to do, the rest of the defence were solid enough, though Young looked a little off the pace, and Dunne was getting skinned with ease when Jerome came on. Collins was solid as always. Warnock was crunching as always and seemed to be better going forward than he was defending.

Thought Clarke played well, and Bannan too when he came on. I don't think Sidwell played badly, but he certainly didn't play well. Reo Coker did what he should and got stuck in, as captain though he has to lead by example and he can't be acting like he did at the end of the game.

Young and Downing were both fairly poor and ineffective today. Heskey tried his best but was fed on scraps at best. Carew didn't have much of a chance really.

All in all it just didn't really work today, but considering it was a derby and we have several key players out we did ok. I seem to remember us playing a lot worse last year.

Ref: Did ok today i think, was pretty fair to both sides and could have quite easily sent Reo-Coker off.

Highlight of the game, Bannan going up against Zigic for a header.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:35 PM »
I'm really interested in Houllier's reasoning for his team selection.  I hope he's not allowed to duck that issue.
I don't see any problem with the team selection, it was the defensive tactics that let us down. We played far too deep and failed to get players into the box. The Rags were highly organised, especially first half and they were willing to get players to support the attack. We weren't until the last 10-15 minutes. See the challenge by Heskey on their keeper in the second half - not a Villa player in sight to pick up the pass.

Not too disappointed. Gabby can't come back soon enough but he'll have to start showing Heskey a bit more respect and try and work together on a partnership. Always got the feeling Gabby preferred to play with Carew, more for personal than professional reasons.

Surely part of the reason for us playing so deep was having 3 defensive midfielders.  If he didn't trust Ireland, then surely Bannan could have been given a go. Surely NRC and Clark/Sidwell would have been enough to snuff out their limited attacking threat.

I struggled to see who in the team could get us a goal.  Young and Downing might have.  Heskeys got a few but that wasn't going to last forever.

Offline KRS

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
On a slightly positive note...we looked the more likely to score in the last 15-20 minutes, but as also pointed out by GH, we are completely clueless upfront and dont even look like putting the ball in the back of the net.

How long is Gabby expected to be out?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
I'm really interested in Houllier's reasoning for his team selection.  I hope he's not allowed to duck that issue.
I don't see any problem with the team selection, it was the defensive tactics that let us down. We played far too deep and failed to get players into the box. The Rags were highly organised, especially first half and they were willing to get players to support the attack. We weren't until the last 10-15 minutes. See the challenge by Heskey on their keeper in the second half - not a Villa player in sight to pick up the pass.

Not too disappointed. Gabby can't come back soon enough but he'll have to start showing Heskey a bit more respect and try and work together on a partnership. Always got the feeling Gabby preferred to play with Carew, more for personal than professional reasons.

Surely part of the reason for us playing so deep was having 3 defensive midfielders.  If he didn't trust Ireland, then surely Bannan could have been given a go. Surely NRC and Clark/Sidwell would have been enough to snuff out their limited attacking threat.

I struggled to see who in the team could get us a goal.  Young and Downing might have.  Heskeys got a few but that wasn't going to last forever.

Sidwell should have been more box to box. If you see just before he got subbed he managed to get himself in a perfect goalscoring position but unfortunately the cross was met by the first Villa player (?). We were generally far too rigid and lacked the courage to break as a team.

I get the feeling GH feared a defeat today could have thrown us right off course. He may be right but a victory would have set us up nicely for Fulham with the whole club buzzing. A point against the Rags always feels like a defeat.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:00:26 PM by aftab235 »

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
At this particular time, the pragmatism shown by Houllier is warranted. I thought it was Small Heath's best chance for a while to turn us over and they couldn't do it. The new manager surely should be given time to build a team, remember we lost a long standing boss with little time until the start of the season. In twelve months time I would hope for a more positive approach all round.
 Much talk from McShit about the gap narrowing, and he's right. But that because we have gone backwards rather than any managerial genius from that Ginger Rodent.

The open top bus is being prepared at Washwood Heath garage.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
I remember when villa went something like six games without scoring.  Then Cyril Regis scored. 
I'm pretty sure that was the first villa goal i saw at villa park.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »
The open top bus is being prepared at Washwood Heath garage.

They are not comimg any where near Washwood heath Garage. They can use that  Small Heath shed opposite their sty!

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
We are a far better team than those wankers. Once again had a poor half. I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching. Every single person that watched that game knew it was crying out for Stevie Ireland to be put on. Shocked that he wasn't. Incredibly disappointed and ashamed.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
Just returned from VP. That was painful. Really poor match with  football of the most odious quality played by both teams.
As an advert for our City  this  game  did us no favours.
As 1 off result I am not bothered about this. Our run against them,  based  on law of averages, had to end sometimes however very worrying from an overall prospective.  We are within touching distance of 3rd from bottom after 10 games and that is not good. We don't appear to have any method of attacking play or at least sustained forward movement and pressure.
Rene's selection was mystifying. OK we  were  handicapped with Agbonlahor and Albrighton  not being available but  surely Hleb just coming back from injury did not need  his own minder in the shape of Clark.

Having said that NRC and Clark were good. Ash Young and Downing disappointing and everyone else about average.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
What a waste of time. Blues are the new Wimbledon.

Offline monkeyboy

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
On a slightly positive note...we looked the more likely to score in the last 15-20 minutes, but as also pointed out by GH, we are completely clueless upfront and dont even look like putting the ball in the back of the net.

How long is Gabby expected to be out?

We miss Gabby for sure - but is he really the answer - sure he as close to prolific as we have but - we need a poacher (who's name is not Michael Owen or Robbie Keene) and some creativity in the middle.

For me (watching on an ALbanian stream which was a treat) is was a typical derby between two sides lacking real quality.

Couple of things i noted:

- Bannan looks comfortable - was much more visible and effective that Sidwell when he came on - needs to be given a run in my opinion while Petrov gets fit
- Clark looks capable and will turn into something very good indeed
- NRC was combative which is perfect for the game today - would have loved to have seen a Dublin on Savage when Ferguson rushed in (nasty ineffective little jock twat)
- Heskey is pointless when the gap between midfield and him is 30 yards (which is an improvement on Heskey is useless - which is what i would have posted previously)
- Did anyone else think that Sidwell trudging off slowly head down was the last we will see of him - no confidence at all, if i was him i'd be onto my agent - Villa has not worked out on any level for him - Villa and he need to part company for the good of all concerned
- Thanks goodness we didn't spunk any cash on Hleb
- Dunny ?? Hmmmm
- Gardener is a tosser

Could have been worse - if Emily has connected in the first half from Ash's through ball, if Clark has been an inch to the lest before Foster took his swede off - if Barry had got a bit more power behing the shot etc- only real scare for us was when Jerome got in - so in a way it was ugly but comfortable - we were not going to lose  - but back to the real issue, goals - we have scored less goals than everyone bar Blackburn and WEst Ham i think - which is a worry - ans we don't look threatening at all - even from set pieces these days.

GED has got some big work to do in Jan else we will be looking over our shoulders rather than the other direction come second half of the season.

My 2p's worth

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
I get the feeling GH feared a defeat today could have thrown us right off course. He may be right but a victory would have set us up nicely for Fulham with the whole club buzzing. A point against the Rags always feels like a defeat.

If that is the case, and I am inclined to agree with you, I would say his fear was well founded. A defeat today followed by a less than positive result in the QF, and he would be a dead man walking. Illogical, I know, but sadly true, in my view.

The positives from today: we played with plenty of spirit, and the defence was solid. Barry Bannan looks
like a player who knows how to inject pace and tempo into a move, something we have lacked for a long time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal