collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashes 2010/11  (Read 201817 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Ashes 2010/11
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »
Is it too early for an Ashes thread?

The players flew out yesterday and it's starting to hit the public's consciousness.

I like:
1. the fact that the BBC have introduced an ashes gossip column even if it does mainly consist of Swann and Anderson's twits (? tweets?) ...what they post on twitter.
2. that australia are not a particularly good team

I don't like:
1.  TMS will not be available to anyone living abroad (although I understand Test Match Sofa will work abroad, anyone listened to it?)
2.  That westminster council have kicked up a stink about projecting pontings image on parliament (man up)

Discuss...

Offline hipkiss92

Re: Ashes 2010/11
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
2-2, England win 1st and last, Aussies 2nd and 3rd, 4th drawn.

And I thought the projection on Big Ben was actually really funny.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
3-1 to England.  They ain't all that, neither are we admittedly, but we'll edge it.

Another month of dozing off with TMS on, marvellous.  I'm also taking a few days off work here and there so I can watch it all night, I can't wait.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
I reckon it'll be really tight series with England retaining the Ashes. 1-0 or 1-1.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
Is it traditionally on the way there or on the way back that the teams get absolutely battered?
Is it david boon that holds the record?  Anyone recall how many cans of beer?

I hope this "tradition" still exists.

I reckon Sky's commentary team will do better than the current players.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »
Is it traditionally on the way there or on the way back that the teams get absolutely battered?
Is it david boon that holds the record?  Anyone recall how many cans of beer?

I hope this "tradition" still exists.

I reckon Sky's commentary team will do better than the current players.

I thought it was just the Aussies who did this..... may be wrong though.
Boon's record is 36 cans I believe.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
3-1 Aussies.

Which will be an improvement on the last series over there.

Botham and co never learn.

Last series?

"Dad's Army, the Aussies are on the way out.  England will win"

This series.

"England by 3 games"

Partisan support/ bias is great but he tends to make himself look foolish if he keeps on getting it so wrong. They have an unbelievable record over there and even if the current lot aren't up to the standard of teams in years gone by they still have home advantage, home conditions and the kookaburra ball.

I fancy it to be competitive in most matches but them to edge the crucial sessions and periods of play when it counts.

They've targeted Strauss as the key man in the England side and if he doesn't perform it will be job done for them. I'd imagine most of the other South African-born players will come in for a fair amount of stick and they might find it a long, uncomfortable tour all told.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
Bell finished the season well and he owes them. Would love to see him step up and be the matchwinner.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
3-1 England, we are overall a much better side.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
Dante, Test Match Sofa is definitely worth listening to if you can't get the proper TMS, in fact it's worth it if you can. It really is like a few random blokes down the pub watching the telly and telling you what's happening while going off on the odd tangent about almost anything, I liked it a lot during the last Ashes.

England 3-1 by the way.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »
Absolutely love the ashes, my favorite sporting event.

Was at Lords last year on the final day for Flintoff's incredible spell.  Also at Edgbastion for all five days.  Spent a small fortune but had a wonderful time. 

I think it will be very close this time.  Player for Player, England have a slight edge which is probably negated by playing in their conditions. It could come down to a bad session for either side ultimately deciding the outcome.  I'll let my heart rule and go 2 - 1 England

On a side note, i cannot believe the way the Aussies are getting stuck in to Pieterson.  He has been a shadow of himself over the last year or so, but is the type of character who relishes the challenge.  I think the crap they've been spouting will bring out the best in KP.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
The Ashes is always good to watch (except staying up all night because Australia have silly time-zones) especially seeing that smug tosspot Ponting looking like a slapped ass when England win.

I feeling confident about England and I think they've got a really good chance of beating the convicts... even the Aussies acknowledge that we've got a pretty good team this year.

My prediction: England 3-2 with Bell playing amazing in all tests.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
On a side note, i cannot believe the way the Aussies are getting stuck in to Pieterson.  He has been a shadow of himself over the last year or so, but is the type of character who relishes the challenge.  I think the crap they've been spouting will bring out the best in KP.

I think how KP reacts to his dip in form and the subsequent abuse from the aussies will be crucial in this series.  My hunch is that the extra pressure will focus his brain and result in him getting a few runs. 

I certainly hope this is the case as I kind of agree with Buchanan that he can be detrimental to the rest of the squad if things are not going his way.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »
The Sunday at Edgbaston 2005 was both the best ever, and the most horrible, sporting experience I have witnessed. It's right up there with the Tranmere semi-final for fingernails bitten to bloody stumps.

We had won it, then we hadn't, then we had again, then we fucking hadn't, then we had fucking blown it, then we fucking, bastarding, cunting well won the fucker!!!!!!! Stunning, sport at it's most raw and exciting. I didn't even cheer for a few minutes, I couldn't, I was drained.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal