collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gérard Houllier implores Aston Villa players to avoid alcohol and nightclubs  (Read 4626 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Gérard Houllier has warned his Aston Villa players there is no place for nightclubs and alcohol in a modern footballer's life.

Houllier was well known for his no-nonsense attitude to players and their private lives while Liverpool manager between 1998 and 2004.
He has impressed upon his young Villa players a similar message, saying they must dedicate themselves entirely to football if they want to succeed.

"If you go off the track, with booze and nightclubs, you can imagine what happens," he said.
"Players have got to live for the job. That is sometimes why their marriage breaks.
"They marry young girls who want to go out and go to restaurants. But the life of a player, they usually play every three days, they have to be at home, put their feet up.

"You cannot succeed otherwise. If you love football, you have to live for football. For 10 years at least.
"All big players, their rest, their diet, their off-the-field life is for football.
"They can enjoy life afterwards when they become TV pundits or managers."
One player whose attitude looks like being rewarded is Nigel Reo-Coker, who has opened talks over a new contract with Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner.

The midfielder has also been made stand-in captain in the absence of the injured Stiliyan Petrov.
Steve Sidwell, who like Reo-Coker was sidelined under former manager Martin O'Neill, will be given his chance on Wednesday night against Burnley in the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

"He will play," Houllier said. "It is a chance. I know what he is capable of."
Carew will be handing in his transfer request as soon as he finds that out.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
I seem to remember that he put Gerrard on the straight and narrow after he'd been caught in nightclubs necking vodka.

Last chance saloon surely for Sidwell.

Offline taylorsworkrate

I seem to remember that he put Gerrard on the straight and narrow after he'd been caught in nightclubs necking vodka.

Obviously didn't teach Gerrard to not punch people in nightclubs

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014

Obviously didn't teach Gerrard to not punch people in nightclubs

No, but at least he washed his hands first.

Offline Mr Diggles

I wasn't aware that any of the current Villa players (Dunne and Carew aside) had a taste for ale or the clubs anyway. However, it does make sense, its just depressing that, given how much they are paid to be professionals, the manager feels he has to remind them of the definition of professionalism.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Makes sense. Milner for me is a good example of a player without prodigious talent who's got himself to england standard with hard graft and a clean lifestyle.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:19:07 AM by themossman »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

I agree but even if he plays his bollocks off between now and end of season we shouldn't renew his deal in my opinion, he just isnt good enough.

I agree with the manager on this, if you can't stay in on a night when you earn £x a week then there is no hope your you. Your career is short really and you can party on when you retire....In your 30's

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
It's not much to ask a footballer his career is short so they should abstain from alcohol and wild nights and concentrate on there careers.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
I'm stuggling to find anything that GH has said since coming to Villa that I disagree with.

Offline supertom

I'm stuggling to find anything that GH has said since coming to Villa that I disagree with.

Same here. Aside from Cueller getting dropped for Dunne, I've agreed with everything. Certainly what he addresses as our problems that need rectifying, it's refreshing. Everything the fans have moaned about over the last year, he's looking to address, such as players in correct positions, more technical football, better fitness, squad rotation.

Can't wait for January.

Offline sfx412

Is he intimating something I wonder :)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024

Of course he is and more power to his elbow.  I know the majority of footballers have brains the size of a pea but if there's one thing that pisses me off its describing yourself as professional then drinking yourself into oblivion throughout your career.  We have possibly the biggest example of that who played for our club and though I worshipped him for what he was I often think just how good could he have been if alcohol hadn't have got a hold of him. Possibly a place in one of the great teams of the late 80's early 90's, Inter, AC, Barca?

Offline Reality

• Sean
Can just see Houllier showing up at a nightclub at 1am with Carew getting a lap dance.  ;D

Offline supertom

Of course he is and more power to his elbow.  I know the majority of footballers have brains the size of a pea but if there's one thing that pisses me off its describing yourself as professional then drinking yourself into oblivion throughout your career.  We have possibly the biggest example of that who played for our club and though I worshipped him for what he was I often think just how good could he have been if alcohol hadn't have got a hold of him. Possibly a place in one of the great teams of the late 80's early 90's, Inter, AC, Barca?

Yes all those pics too of England players smoking fags, and get shit faced after world cup was disgusting. Especially as one of the pathetic excuses laid out to account for our pitiful showing, was tiredness because of the gruelling season. The fact of the matter is, our boys just aren't as fit as the Spanish side, or the German side and more, not technically even on the same planet.

Seeing Wayne Rooney relaxing on holiday this week, necking beers and living it up in a ridiculously expensive hotel (he spent 25 quid on chicken fucking nuggets apparently!) is a blood boiler. He's supposed to be our talisman is he? Urgh! Tis one of many valid reason I can't be arsed to watch England play any more.

It's one thing to maybe let your hair down a little off season and have the odd brewski, but some of these players just take the first sign of time off, even during a season, to go off on full blown benders, and often these idiots with too much money and too much ego, end up doing something stupid (Andy Carroll).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal