collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:06:06 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by SteveN
[Today at 05:05:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:05:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:04:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:04:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 05:03:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:03:00 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:01:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne.  (Read 15704 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Richard Dunne.
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
If a less popular player than him had made the mistake in the cup final they'd have been hung out to dry.

That's true but it says more about the capricious nature of some football fans than it does about Richard Dunne.

With the way Houllier wants us to play our central defenders have to be comfortable on the ball and with the best will in the world that's not really a description you can use about Cuellar.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:59 PM »
I still can't understand how he can be so overweight, surely he goes into training every day.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
Another one for the Cuellar camp. I think at centre back he is excellent but please never at right back again.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
cuellar everyday for me. I think Dunne was at Everton before Man City and when we signed him he said "good player but just makes too many costly errors" . His assessment seems to be spot on.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
sorry, meant to write, that my Everton supporting mate said that of Dunne!

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
Playing well at Wolves is not performing consistently.

A definition of performing consistently - Dunne and Collins last season

Would say it is a total coincidence that Cuellar's absence from the right back spot this season has seen us drop points

the Dunne Collins partnership looked pretty rock solid to me today. Darren Bent didnt have a kick. Beye is good in the air too looks like we could have a big decision at right back though Luke Young is out for another bit I think. Friedel being stuck to his line at all times when the ball is in the air and Warnock are bigger issues. Thought Warnock was decent against Chelsea last week but he was back to his very worst today. Whatever about Dunne, he certaintly doesnt look fit.

i said he has performed consistantly when he has played in his correct position, which is not right back.

Dunne and collins were great last season, but towards the end of last season and all of this season Dunne has been terrible, its no coincidence that we have been better when Dunne is out the team eg Wolves and Chelsea.

He is tottally out of form, Cueller is in form so its obvious solution to me.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
I still can't understand how he can be so overweight, surely he goes into training every day.

I actually thought he looked a bit trimmer yesterday. That said, I would still pick Cueller over him. Cueller has the attributes I like in a centre back, Dunney is a great lad and a top player but makes too many unforced errors. Hasn't he the record now for own goals?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »

I actually thought he looked a bit trimmer yesterday. That said, I would still pick Cueller over him. Cueller has the attributes I like in a centre back, Dunney is a great lad and a top player but makes too many unforced errors. Hasn't he the record now for own goals?
Has done for a while.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
Just seen it.

No-one was near the ball either, I think Cuellar might come in against the Blues due to their ariel threat

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »

Has done for a while.

Although Carragher is trying to keep up. At least he doesn't have the record for scoring more time against his club then for it that Carragher has.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
He made a world class tackle late on mind. The goal was the fault of Collins and Friedel too for not using the mouth inside their bloody heads to communicate to him that there wasn't a Sunderland player within 5 yards.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
I really don't understand what happened, i thought Dunne and Warnock started excellentley and were going to be the next big thing at the Villa, then towards the end of last season, it all stopped. I watched Cuellar when he was at Rangers and my uncle had a season ticket up there and they raved about him. King Cuellar was his nickname up there, i think he's well worth the nod right now, Cuellar and Collins at the back sounds solid

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
It's interesting reading this vis-a-vis Collins
When we bought him I think a fair few of us hadn't really noticed what a good CB he is
He's not amazingly quick or tall or special on the ball

But he certainly has impressed us all(no one advocating him to be dropped in favour or Carlos)

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 03:33:27 PM »
That is the problem with Dunne. When he is on top of his game he is unbeatable and we rarely, rarely concede. When he is bad though, he is one of the worst defenders you will watch in the Premier League - slow, constantly getting caught out, horrible own goals.

Offline villa for life

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal