collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by OCD
[Today at 11:11:38 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:08:04 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 11:08:00 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:07:43 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by KRS
[Today at 11:03:17 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

Re: VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread  (Read 39390 times)

Offline bones.

• GM : 28.01.2020
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2010, 06:09:29 AM »
Did anyone hear Wingnut on MOTD?

He said
'Villa were good for the first and last 10 minutes, but dross in-between'

Shearer was nice about us though, said
'They'll be up therethis season'
and
'Not many teams will get a clean sheet gainst Chelsea, like Villa did.'
Its not often that you play the league leaders and still end up second from last on MOTD,especially when it flashed up we were on next near the end of the first(man utd) game. It was about the only game we didnt get to see any analysis and replays too.Perhaps a coincidence but the Villa match was Talksports big game for saturday,maybe the slagging Collymore gave Linekar and pals recently bruised a few egos.  Hansens fallen back out of love with the Villa now that MONs not there anymore but Garys always been a bit of a babbie.Shearer often sticks up for the Villa,think he gets fed up with Liverpool/Spuds lovefest.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »
Freidel - i know they hit the post twice - but did he actually make a save all game?

Beye - was worried when i saw he was to start - but fair play - Cashley hardly got forward all game and Malouda was very quiet until he moved inside to get some ball towards the end

Dunne - no comment as not on long enough

Clark - i think he is an outstanding prospect

Collins - absolute rock

Warnock - did not get forward much but defended soundly

Petrov - I though was very good without being spectacular - he is no mug and is a quality player

NRC (MOTM) - Loads of energy - would have loved him to have won it at the end not just for the result but to ensure he cements his place in the team

Downing - honestly think he is the best footballer in the team - does drift out of games but i do think he brings some quality - his break and pass for Ireland was superb

Young - I am getting frsutated with him at the moment - cannot remember the last time he skinned someone and created a chance - plus he is now sussed by refs regarding the diving - just stop it

Ireland - Good game - needed a better front man as Carew was shit all game

Carew - good effort saved - enjoyed the push on Terry - other than that have never seen a bug poweful man as him knocked off the ball so easily - i always imagine him to be a powerhouse but he is a bit of a powder puff. Also he always seems happy - maybe a really angry Carew would be better?

Sidwell - i like the fresh legs and getting stuck in and he certainly has a role to play

Fonz - Bit lightwieght and di not see much of the ball

Decent game against very good team - As Big Al said - not many teams will  snuff out their attack this season

Oh and as i am very close to the dug out all i can say is that gary mac is a monster and really knows his stuff

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Tell us more about Gary MacAllister :) in the dug out.

There is also a Spanish or possibly French guy next to me and he took so many photos with long lens camera. He behave like a French man and got a Barcelona cap. 

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

There is also a Spanish or possibly French guy next to me and he took so many photos with long lens camera. He behave like a French man and got a Barcelona cap. 

Tell us more about this French Barcelona fan with a long lens camera.

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

Tell us more about this French Barcelona fan with a long lens camera.

How does a Frenchman behave? Was he wearing a stripy shirt and a string of onions? Singing the Marseillaise?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
No, he'd blocked the exit with burning sheep and articulated lorries.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
In spite of the 5.30 kickoff, he missed most of the first half because he was still having his lunch

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »
Under MON the backroom team hardly ever spoke to him during a game - Robertson would go out only to berate the ref or 4th official - it was like they had no input into the game play at all.

Gary Mac is constantly on the touchline and Sid is quietly pointing out aspects of the game to GED - once mac gets back the 3 of them chat and decide on actions and then mac goes out calls a player over and instigates the change / communication

What i do know there was times with MON when he would bark at a player and they would either just nod or (In Lukes case) ignore him, maybe that tells you why he did not get much of a look in!  Now as soon as mac speaks Petrov / Young / Downing  / Collins all take on board what is said and passes it on to other players

good to see and hear

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »
A bit late in the day for this, but I wanted to highlight how well Downing played again. For me he’s been our most consistent and best performer so far this season and is also our top scorer too. Its clear that he’s recovered fully from his injury and actually has benefited a great deal from having a pre-season.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Can't argue with that point on Downing

Offline pedro25

« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
Yer ditto on Downing, especially as he was playing on the right side, whereas he's usually better on the left.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »
We could have won it but it was a decent game and I would have taken a point beforehand.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Warnock - did not get forward much but defended soundly
I agree about his defending - I think he's improved a lot after a shaky start to the season. He also created the chance for Carew right at the beginning.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
A bit late in the day for this, but I wanted to highlight how well Downing played again. For me he’s been our most consistent and best performer so far this season and is also our top scorer too. Its clear that he’s recovered fully from his injury and actually has benefited a great deal from having a pre-season.

I agree

And your last sentence proves those of us who said "wait till he's had a full preseason" etc etc and got laughed at to have been right.

So, yah boo sucks.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:55 PM »
Just a quick look at our midfield on the Guardian chalk boards shows Petrov made 30 passes, all successful; NRC made 24, 22 successful, Ireland 15, 12 successful; Downing made 31, 22 successful; Ashley made 23, 14 successful and Sidwell made 2, you can guess the rest..

Defensively they look strong, now we just need to start looking a bit more threatening going forward.

It was an interesting, rather than a great game but when you consider how many players we had out, we were highly organised and made life very difficult for Chelsea. I was suprised Chelsea sat so deep for most of the match but I'd imagine they were concerned about being caught on the break.

Only complaint from Saturday is we are still failing to deliver a decent ball in from corners. It really is time Ashley was removed from corner duty. We need to start taking advantage of set pieces, especially in games against the top teams, where chances are few and we're not creating too much up front.

I still think we miss Gabby.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal