collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread  (Read 39393 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea Post-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
[We had as many  first choice out as them. (Gabby, Heskey, Albrighton, Luke Young and Richard Dunne early on )

They never really dominated the game because we didn't let them.  There was a dangerous 10 min spell early in the second half  when they came at us and if that had  been allowed to go on they  would have scored but the team stood up.

In fairness you can only play one of Gabby/Heskey in our current formation and Ireland is a more senior/better player than Albrighton so though we were missing all the players you mention I think it was Young and one of Heskey/Gabby which might have improved things.

Anyway, at least it shows we have a bit of strength in depth, when not injured of course. 

Agreed that we are coping. Not sure on what we have seen  so far  that Albrighton out Ireland in does not weaken the team.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:15:58 PM by aftab235 »

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »

We were missing 3 starters in Young, Heskey and Albrighton 4 you include Dunne's injury. They were missing Drogba, lampard and Bosingwa.

So definately strength in depth.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Chelsea still had 8 of their regular starting 11 out.

Main thing for them was the likes of benayoun, Kalou, Sturridge out injured so they didn't have any game changing options to bring off the bench. Certainly a decent time to play them.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
Chelsea still had 8 of their regular starting 11 out.

Main thing for them was the likes of benayoun, Kalou, Sturridge out injured so they didn't have any game changing options to bring off the bench. Certainly a decent time to play them.

No they never, the only people they had missing that are regular starters were, Drogba, Lampard and then Alex and Bosingwa( but he has been out a year)

Offline pestria

« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »
Ireland looks like a pig in a poke - of course it could all end well as we probably haven't seen the best of him - but when it was clear to all concerned we needed to buy either a solid central midfielder or a goal scorer the board decided on a poor man's Merson.   I'd have thought it a golden rule that boards should not spend significant chunks of money on players without the manger's approval or more specifically when there is no manager to give the approval.  I'll wager he won't be here this time next season.

IMO that statement will come back and bite you.

Care to be more specific about which bit?

You're probably right - it's hard to shift high wage earners.  But it won't be for the want of trying.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
If I was John Carew I would be absolutely embarrassed with that 'performance' - dreadful touch, he was as mobile as a conker tree and his fitness was none existant. I won't talk about his attitude. He's 3rd choice striker at the moment, and very close to becoming 4th choice.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »

We were missing 3 starters in Young, Heskey and Albrighton 4 you include Dunne's injury. They were missing Drogba, lampard and Bosingwa.

Gabby for us and Alex for them?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »

Don't think you can include Bosingwa - he came on as a sub for them in second half

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »

Gabby for us and Alex for them?

If you go on regular first teamers from the last month, then they were missing Kalou, Drogba and Alex. Lampard has pretty much missed most of the season so far and Boswinga has been out for two years. We were missing Heskey, Gabby, Luke, Marc and lost Dunne early on. We were also missing Carew but as he has been missing all season I can't count him on the criteria mentioned above.

Offline Shrek

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »
Gabby is not a certain starter if Heskey's form continues.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2010, 10:53:17 PM »
Has anyone read the match report in the NOTW. They did big us up. He even thought Carew was good.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »
Gabby is not a certain starter if Heskey's form continues.
If we're using that logic, you can say the same about Lampard and Ramires.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
There were a LOT of 'one-gamers' there. Nice Australian guy bought a fanzine and a book. The Japanese seemed rather bewildered.

I got asked about where the Holte End was as I got off the bus. He was mid 20s. I turned my back on him and said to my sister, probably a bit too loudly, "Where's the Holte? Same place as it's been since 1897. Fucking day trippers".

I have great people skills.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
There were a LOT of 'one-gamers' there. Nice Australian guy bought a fanzine and a book. The Japanese seemed rather bewildered.

Strange, but I noticed a lot of japanese yesterday, and they were all, to a man, bedecked in claret and blue, plus - the giveaway - club shop bags.

I also heard - and it was only a few times, so I may have been imagining it - someone with what sounded like a Japanese accent sing "COME ON ASTON VIRRA" (excuse slightly racist l -> r conversion) randomly several times during the game. This was in A3, if anyone else heard it.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »

Strange, but I noticed a lot of japanese yesterday, and they were all, to a man, bedecked in claret and blue, plus - the giveaway - club shop bags.

I also heard - and it was only a few times, so I may have been imagining it - someone with what sounded like a Japanese accent sing "COME ON ASTON VIRRA" (excuse slightly racist l -> r conversion) randomly several times during the game. This was in A3, if anyone else heard it.

Is it wrong that I'm laughing at this?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal