collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Curtis Davies  (Read 18649 times)

Offline nipper

Re: Curtis Davies
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
A bloke who regularly pops into my work is a Leicester season ticket holder. He was there last Saturday and said that Davies was head and shoulders above anyone on the park. I know it was only Leicester, Hull, but he said he was absolute class and was clearly of premier league standard. He also apparantly was interviewed after the game by their local radio and he again repeated about MON blanking him basically and his confidence going, but also that he hoped he still had a future at Villa. Maybe a good run of games down there and we'll see a different Curtis Davies come back, maybe.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
We should let him to get game under belts then in January he will be much sharper and better player and we can use him to trade in towards to a new striker / defensive midfielder assuming Gerard is trading in premier league or Curtis is interested in moving to an European club. 

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
I doubt three managers would all agree to a player not being picked just because of a clause in his contract.

It does seem strange to me though that he came back against Brighton last season in the cup and we then didn't even see him on the bench for the rest of the season.

Again he played twice against Vienna (abysmally) and then didn't even make the bench for either Everton or Stoke.

Came on in the Blackburn cup game and then didn't make the bench for the next game.

So there does appear to be an issue with him appearing in the league.

Is it because he wasn't named in the 25 man squad? Does that mean you can appear in cup games but not in the league ?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
As I recall he was named in our squad which only numbered 22 anyway. It would have explained a lot if he had been left out of the squad as he wouldn't have been able to play for us, but that's not the case.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
As I recall he was named in our squad which only numbered 22 anyway. It would have explained a lot if he had been left out of the squad as he wouldn't have been able to play for us, but that's not the case.
Yes just double checked.Was going from squad on OS but that's been updated since going out on loan.He is indeed listed in the original list

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
I still think he has a future at Villa, he is probably our most cultured defender although u would not think it lately. Houlier likes defenders who are comfortable on the ball, so maybe Carlos could be the guy who goes?

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
One reason I like him and would like to see him stay is that I think in his early days (before O'Neill told him to hoof it more) he showed is a reasonable footballer rather than just a "stopper".  I think in modern football it's better to have players who are comfortable on the ball in all positions.  You don't see too many old fashioned stopper types in the top teams these days.  That's why I would prefer him ahead of someone like Carlos.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
Can we put this appearance bollocks to bed?

See Here

Now as he has made just 37 league appearances he can't be close to a new contract on that measure. It must mean in all competitions and he has now actually achieved over that number. So either he is due another contract (thoroughly undeserved) or it was all bollocks in the first place.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
It may well apply to all first team games.  According to Soccerbase he's played 45 league games. 5 FA Cup, 1 League Cup and 8 Other first team games for Villa.  That comes to 59, one short of the 60 he needs for the clause to kick in.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
Can't remember where I worked it out but I got 65.

Also another Mirror article from Feb states that he's stuck on 59. He's played a few times in the FA cup and Europe since then.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
My leicester mates said CD has been MOM both times, he has been brilliant.....   but it is a different league..

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »

Also another Mirror article from Feb states that he's stuck on 59. He's played a few times in the FA cup and Europe since then.

You're counting from when he originally joined on-loan for the 2007/08 season, the clause probably only refers to games from 2008/09 onwards when he officially signed for us.

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »
Probably a good move for Curtis, getting some much needed competitive football after not really playing much for a long while. He's been poor in the couple of games I've seen him play for Villa this season, so hopefully he can regain some confidence.

When questioned a couple of months ago, The General said it was nonsense that Curtis Davies was being kept out the team due to contract stipulations, which presumably means that there are no stipulations or that management is not bothered about such stipulations. Either way, it is form that has kept him out of the team.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
It's interesting that GH has sent him out on loan for a month, though.

At the very least it has to be worth trying as a way of rebuilding his confidence.

I don't think he was one of MON's best signings, and he has looked poor for us in recent appearances, but MON was quite happy to blank him and let him sit on his arse in the reserves doing feck all.

If he's going to be away from the first team, then fair enough, that is the situation he's in, but to try to get something from him by sending him out on loan for a while seems a good move, and not the sort of thing MON would have done.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »

You're counting from when he originally joined on-loan for the 2007/08 season, the clause probably only refers to games from 2008/09 onwards when he officially signed for us.

The soccerbase figures include the loan season - 9 league and 2 cup appearances.  If those aren't included in the clause, then he could be quite a few games off the 60 mark, even allowing for his Europa Cup and any other appearances since the end of last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal