collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Curtis Davies  (Read 18650 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Curtis Davies
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
Maybe it's just that he isn't that good.

I can hardly imagine the sort of conversation whereby before accepting the job Gez asks how much he's got to spend and Randy says "Loads. But, er, if you don't mind holding back on that player there. He'll cost us another few grand a week if you pick him."

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
I know what you're saying.

But conversations about available transfer fees and wage allocation would take place early enough into any new job and form part of the overall plan.  Giving a bit part player like Davies 15/20k extra could be the difference between GH bringing in his first choice signing on a decent wage in Jan or missing out altogether.

Not offering the above as fact by any means but with the wage bill being focussed on this year it's not entirely out of the question.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
I doubt three managers would all agree to a player not being picked just because of a clause in his contract.

It does seem strange to me though that he came back against Brighton last season in the cup and we then didn't even see him on the bench for the rest of the season.

Again he played twice against Vienna (abysmally) and then didn't even make the bench for either Everton or Stoke.

Came on in the Blackburn cup game and then didn't make the bench for the next game.

So there does appear to be an issue with him appearing in the league.

Offline Bald Eagle

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
Curtis isnt a leader. At the end of the day a manager needs to see his centre half in charge of any situation. Curtis always looked good when he had a leader like Laursen next to him. After Martins injury he looked like a rudderless ship.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
As I understnad it the contract thing hinges around league appearances.  As other have said he's appeared in cup games and then been overlooked in the League.   The high wage bill is a known issue.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that these things are connected.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
I remember this kind of debate with Gary Cahill. People are so quick to write players off. At Davis' age and being a centre half, he's got plenty of time to get his career back on track. It might not happen, but I remember a decent and developing player

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »
Curtis isnt a leader. At the end of the day a manager needs to see his centre half in charge of any situation. Curtis always looked good when he had a leader like Laursen next to him. After Martins injury he looked like a rudderless ship.

To be fair that wasn't just him - the whole defence fell apart!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
In fairness to Curtis I still think he is a potentially very good player. Hopefully he'll rediscover his confidence at Leicester and can come back and fight for his place in the side.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
In fairness to Curtis I still think he is a potentially very good player. Hopefully he'll rediscover his confidence at Leicester and can come back and fight for his place in the side.

I agree with the 1st part, but not the 2nd.

Decent enough player, but it hasn't worked out for him at Villa.  I'd say Leicester is him being in the shop window and we get a few million back on him, save his wages and then reinvest that money elsewhere.  Maybe give Clark a payrise and but the rest towards a new striker.

Offline Merv

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »
Hmmm, Curtis Davies. Had high hopes for him but I just think now it's not going to work out for him at Villa.

I'm not sure the non-appearances in the league have anything other to do with how he's looked in the cup games - I was pretty disappointed with what I saw against Rapid; he looked shaky, hacking away clearances under little or no pressure.

The thing to remember about Curtis is that he was a promising kid at Luton, then a promising kid at West Brom, who missed an entire season - the season he was in the Prem with West Brom - through injury. So actually, we bought him on the basis of promise and potential alone, rather than a track record of proven performances in the top flight. He had some good games for us, but also some bad - and I think the Achilles tendon he ruptured at Arsenal has perhaps done more damage to him than many realise. It's the kind of injury which really can change a player - see Yakubu at Everton as a good example.

I guess he needs games now and he'll get those at Leicester. Loathe to completely write him off, but he's got loads of work to do and there's no point him being 5th choice CB at Villa.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
Just had a chat with my ITK contact regarding Curtis.  Not much we hadn't already surmised.  He didn't respond to the question as to whether the contract clause was an issue. 

Basically said Curtis felt he needed games after a certain person had sidelined and almost "destroyed" him. Then MacDonald understandably wanted to push the claims of his protege Clark, leaving Curtis fighting for 4th/5th choice and not much chance of games on the horizon.   Sven called and asked for him and he decided to go as he wanted games and he respects Sven as a manager. Apparently he got very good reviews and some MOM ratings on his first appearance.  He is pretty much in the shop window and wouldn't be surprised if he moves on in January. 

No mention of Houllier's view  of him.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »

I agree with the 1st part, but not the 2nd.

Decent enough player, but it hasn't worked out for him at Villa.  I'd say Leicester is him being in the shop window and we get a few million back on him, save his wages and then reinvest that money elsewhere.  Maybe give Clark a payrise and but the rest towards a new striker.

What length of contract did he sign in 2007?

If it's the standard 4 year effort he'll be out of contract next summer.
If it's 5 years he'll have a year left and we won't be getting a Kings ransom either way.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
As I recall, he was on loan initially in 07/08 and then signed in summer 08.  So his contract should be just over two years old?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2010, 02:44:19 PM »
Of the 5 centre backs on our books Curtis is the one I'd be least bothered about losing.  I think he's been a little unlucky but others have come in and done a better job.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »
Possibly, could be right there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal