collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: England: How do you stand?  (Read 38473 times)

Offline Chris Harte

England: How do you stand?
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
What are your feelings on the England football team at present. Four months on from a shambolic World Cup showing and the morning after a draw against a nation rated marginally better than Burkina Faso, are you as enthusiastic about England? Or have you lost interest in a team that hasn't put in a decent showing at a major competition since the Euro Championships in Portugal in 2004?

(This perhaps belongs in the International section but hope the mods will leave it here for now just to get exposure.)

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Re: England: How do you stand?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »
i think they're tossers... from the fa men at the top, to the players at the bottom...

its not so much the fact we havent won anything since 1966, or done that well since 1996, as i have been convinced we simply arent good enough for many a year now, despite the media hyperbole about their favourite players, it just irritates me how players like gerrard, lampard, rooney, terry, etc, can all be so shit, for so long, yet still command a place in the team, simply down to their media love in gained "reputation" (christ, they even have cringeworthy nicknames for them, i mean, 'stevie g'?... *shudder*), and the commercial value to the fa...

and these players believe it themselves... they believe they are the worlds best players, they believe the world owes them, and they believe they are above any normal rules and laws that apply to everyone else... (and in "stevie g's" case, maybe that is true...) footballers live on another planet... the english "untouchables", live in another galaxy... personally, i would love it if they all lived on io... bunch of c***s...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:28:19 AM by pablopicasso_10 »

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
Apathy.

I couldn't care less about the current squad and some of the players - just like they themselves apparently couldn't care less. I care more about the name 'England' and the football, so seeing us humiliated does sting, but overall, I'm quite distant from International Football.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
I chose the tossers' option.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »
In my limited memory of England matches, let's say 20-25 years, I think there have been maybe only three performances that I could say I was proud with.  Too often, it is routine 2-0 wins against average Euro opposition, poor draws against the same, or stereotypical penalties heartache.

I was glad Germany thumped us in the world cup.

Didn't watch last night but the team sheet shows how poor the squad is right now.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:41:34 AM »
Not interested at all, although slightly if Ash is playing.

I'm not sure most of the players are that interested, probably because they don't get paid, greedy bastards.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
I'll watch all the games on the TV, sadly because its very rare that I've got something better to do of an evening.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
If its on ITV I'll watch if its a qualifier or a cup game, If its on Sky I don't bother. England are not as good as they/some others think and I always think we'll do shite in tournaments even though everyone else thinks we'll win it again!!

Online mj

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:01:56 AM »
Will watch it when I can but have lost a lot of love for the national team over the last 5 years or so. Generally I can 'take it or leave it' when it comes to qualifiers and will avoid international friendlies as best I can. 

An indication of my interest could be summed up by the fact I only watched the first 10 and final 10 minutes last night - I slept through the rest of the game.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Firstly, I'm Irish so am the one person to click the first option above.

Yet I live in the country and follow English football, so I do like to see England do well.  The problem is that everytime they lose, or as per last night draw, a game we hear all this stuff about grass roots and coaching etc.  And everytime they win it's "We'll be strong contenders at the tournament".  So fucking annoying.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »
I am the same as most people on here i will watch it if it is on itv and if it's on sky i am not really bothered.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
I watch them whenever I'm able, but I also think they're all a bunch of tossers.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:37:40 AM »
I only watched the highlights last night and to be perfectly honest I don’t really care if they lose or not which is quite sad really and I put this down to them mainly being a bunch of tossbanks and the hype that they receive in the media.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
I wouldn't bracket them all as tossers, but I find it impossible to support a team that contains the likes of Rooney, Terry, Cole and so on.  It's not my fault I was born on the same island as them.  Put me down as another who lapped up the Germany-England game, I thought it was brilliant entertainment.

The arrogance of the supporters and the media really doesn't matters help either.  It's no wonder the Scots, Irish, Welsh and just about every other country love to see us fail.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
I wouldn't bracket them all as tossers, but I find it impossible to support a team that contains the likes of Rooney, Terry, Cole and so on.

Exactly the same here. I find it hard to support England with these players in the team. I half wanted to watch because of A.Young, but in the end let my wife watch Holby (Ah shit I enjoy it too)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal