collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by simboy
[Today at 03:32:30 PM]

FFP by Monty
[Today at 03:24:22 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by Smithy
[Today at 03:21:40 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:08:30 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:04:49 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:43:04 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 02:33:34 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Olneythelonely
[Today at 02:32:02 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Stadiums, Why ?  (Read 16426 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
New Stadiums, Why ?
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
listning to a phone show last week re new stadiums, and the reasons given are,

increased capacity
better facilities
improved view

of which only the capacity one has any relevance,

the best view i had last year was down at Fratton Park behind the goals in the quater final, proper ground good atmosphere. yeah the toilets were piss poor [see what i did there] but so what, you can build some new ones for a fraction of the cost.

have a poll for away fans favourite ground, every club including us goes for Craven Cottage

the biggest disaster is Wembley, yes the new ground is nice and the toilets are great, but the atmosphere is crap, and it just doesnt feel as good as when everyone was in the same tier

Emirates, lovely, yes modern, but better than Highbury, no chance, more special big knob boxes though !

some chap was saying on the wireless last week that Goodison park is to old,
 what a load of balls, Buckingham palace is old, Tower of London is old, but they not going to be knocking them down any time soon

if its just down to facilities, build a new toilet block then, its not to dificult,
if its down to capacity develop your own ground, like we have at Villa,
if you cant like Chelsea, you may have a problem, but to move is like moving out of the family home.

if Villa moved it would be a major blow to me, and theres not one stand thats the same as when i first went to VP, so in a way its not the same ground, but it still feels like it

i think all this new stadium stuff is a load of bollox, and groundsharing is fine for everone else, appart from us

i cant think of one new stadium where i enjoy watching football more than i did in there previous old ground,

appart from Middlesborough, where Ayresome Park was as dire as it comes to be fair,
 and even if they had transported the local landfill site to play in, it would have been an improvement,
and of coarse you dont take your life in your own hands any more as you did at the Ayresome, which is probably why it just about crosses the line as an improvement

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: New Stadiums, Why ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
You really think the toilets in the new Wembley are great?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »
agree goodison is a  proper ground and when you visit all these identikit stadiums that have no atmosphere also look at the new stadium followed by relegation patern.
i thought wembley and the emirates were souless

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
Fulham is my favourite away trip as a whole - it would be better still if it was standing. If you happen to have seats at the front near to the corner flag you can't see all of the pitch clearly. I love the tradition of Fulham, the quality pubs in close proximity and the walk along the river to the ground. Their fans are superb too, nothing like their neighbours.

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Because they look beautiful on Sky and ESPN. Seducing more foreign markets to the allure of the best league in the world.

The best games, featuring the best players, in the best stadiums. And the mugs over here will pay for it with £50 tickets and massive subscription fees for the privilege of watching Wigan v Wolves on a Monday night. In the groundbreaking, areo-dynamic (?) DW Stadium.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
"facilities" doesn't just mean nicer toilets.

It means all the corporate stuff that brings in a big revenue stream. You mention Fratton Park, but that ground does not have a single executive box.

I agree that almost all new stadiums are soulless, though.

I just understand why they are built.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »

It means all the corporate stuff that brings in a big revenue stream. You mention Fratton Park, but that ground does not have a single executive box.

you probably hit the nail on the head there Paulie, its mainly for the corporate customer,
but why would any 'normal' fan want to leave Upton Park, Goodison, Anfield, just so a few hob knobs can have there pre match salmon platter,
 and sit in a stadium that resembles a giant B+Q from the outside, and on the inside has no history or relevance on anything that has gone before

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »

you probably hit the nail on the head there Paulie, its mainly for the corporate customer,
but why would any 'normal' fan want to leave Upton Park, Goodison, Anfield, just so a few hob knobs can have there pre match salmon platter,
 and sit in a stadium that resembles a giant B+Q from the outside, and on the inside has no history or relevance on anything that has gone before

They wouldn't, but then again, the traditional, normal football going punter is right down the list of priorities nowadays.

It is more a business than a sport these days, it creeps up on us and then before you know it, places like this, where the brightest, most informed Villa fans come to discuss the game (*looks at other, crappier Villa forums*) are as much about discussing finances as they are events on the pitch.

Depressing buy unavoidable.

Offline Archie

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
Fulham is my favourite away trip as a whole - it would be better still if it was standing. If you happen to have seats at the front near to the corner flag you can't see all of the pitch clearly. I love the tradition of Fulham, the quality pubs in close proximity and the walk along the river to the ground. Their fans are superb too, nothing like their neighbours.

Agree with all you have written, but I have noticed only one pub near the stadium, the Golden Lion.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »
It's all to do with money. Arsenel are making massive profits which would not be possible if they were at highbury.

In about 10 years when they have paid fir the stadium Arsenel will be in a very healthy and competitive position.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
Went to Cardiff's new ground on Friday and it's awful.  If it had been anywhere near full and you hadn't been able to read the words on the seats, there was nothing to identify it from any of the other grounds that have popped up over the last fifteen years.  Ninian Park was a dump so they had to do something, but they could at least put a bit more thought and effort into these new grounds.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »
I agree entirely with the sentiments expressed here, having gone to nearly all the old grounds since I started to watch in 1966. I loved all those old grounds and the great memories they gave me.
Profits, corporate stuff, its become a product tailored more for TV audiences than the turnstile fan.
Much as with the British high street and other elements of towns and cities, we have boring identikit stadiums. Just as you can sit in a fast food restaurant in Newcastle or Plymouth and the product you consume will be identical, many elements of a football stadium experience will be the same.

However, please also keep in mind one other vital element of how our stadia changed. Not driven from within the game but by the authorities outside, safety. Just go and look at the youtube footage of Bradford or Hillsborough if you want to see how it can be judged change for the better.

Offline GullyFoyle

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
According to The News of the World, if the Yanks Mark II take over at Liverpool they will not be going ahead with a new stadium, but will instead redevelop Anfield.

Quote:

There are still practical problems to redeveloping Anfield, including housing at the back of the Main Stand.
But these are not thought to be insurmountable.

After the North Stand redevelopment our only option for further development would be the Witton Lane Stand. But this would only be possible if the Witton Lane and some of the housing on that side were removed. Does anybody here know how possible that is in terms of planning permission etc?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
I don't like new stadiums at all. They all look the same and don't seem to generate a good atmosphere. Give me a Villa Park, White Hart Lane, or Goodison Park over a Reebok, Emirates or JJB any day.

When I see Goodison or Villa Park on tv I know instantly what ground it is. When Arsenal are at home it could be any number of generic new stadia before my eyes.

I hope we continue to develop Villa Park rather than relocate.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
Most 'clubs' are businesses, aren't they?

'Clubs' speaks of intimacy whilst 'Businesses' speaks of profit (or loss!).

Football at the higher levels loses its soul. I think parks football and local club football has a greater attraction in terms of a sense of belonging.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal