collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Speedway - A different kind of sport  (Read 55376 times)

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
Re: Speedway - A different kind of sport
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »
It was terrible news. I was so shocked when I heard this today...RIP Lee..tragic.

Offline Linus

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
I still can't process it. Bees vs Lakeside off tonight. They're showing Belle Vue vs Birmingham. Not sure I'm ready to see any racing yet.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
I know how you feel...Speedway is such a family type sport  they all kind of feel close, if you know what I mean.

I was at Poole many many years ago when Kevin Holden died on the track...difficult to put into words quite how awful it felt.

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
theres been a crash at the brummie meeting rider taken to hospital didnt get all the details tho

Offline Linus

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Emotional meeting at lakeside with the home team - Richardson's last team - taking on Swindon, where he spent a great deal of his career. Some closure on a horriblr week, hopefully.

Speaking of horrible, closing statements being given in the Darcy Ward trial this afternoon...

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Ward was found not guilty and cleared this afternoon....as was the other guy who was charged.

Good news...although the whole thing seems a waste of time & money by the sound of it.

Offline Linus

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
Ward was found not guilty and cleared this afternoon....as was the other guy who was charged.

Good news...although the whole thing seems a waste of time & money by the sound of it.
There's no point going into it now but I'd hardly say that. Ward admitted using a make-up tube and a vodka bottle on the girl, causing injuries and bleeding. The other guy filmed it. They both then did a runner. The whole case was sordid and horrible and the only thing the jury - on a 7-5 split - was asked to consider was whether a drunk girl could give consent. Ward is still a vile creature and if it had been my daughter subjected to what he admitted he did in court... well, maybe I'd be the one in prison. The stink will stay for him for a while - not guilty of sexual assault, but guilty of being a sexual deviant.

Still, good speedway from Somerset last night...

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »

There's no point going into it now but I'd hardly say that. Ward admitted using a make-up tube and a vodka bottle on the girl, causing injuries and bleeding. The other guy filmed it. They both then did a runner. The whole case was sordid and horrible and the only thing the jury - on a 7-5 split - was asked to consider was whether a drunk girl could give consent. Ward is still a vile creature and if it had been my daughter subjected to what he admitted he did in court... well, maybe I'd be the one in prison. The stink will stay for him for a while - not guilty of sexual assault, but guilty of being a sexual deviant.

Still, good speedway from Somerset last night...

As Middleditch has said...no point in commenting really unless anyone has heard all the evidence, which he has but very few others have. People are quick to jump to conclusions.

Ward and Holder seem to be getting an awful lot of stick from other supporters for no apparant reason. Holder is a complete twat for wearing a silly hat apparantly. Ward is a vile creature is he? You know him then?

Ah well...all over now anyway and yes it was good last night...

Offline Linus

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Middleditch didn't hear all the evidence - the only manager/promoter to be in court every day was Swindon's Gary Patchett. I'm not sure what you're defending here - Ward admitted he used a bottle on the girl (and the jury saw film of it), and that the girl received injuries as a result, and that he ran away in a panic. Do you not find that vile?

Yeah, and Holder's hat is ridiculous. Good rider, though.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Just defending hearsay and Ward. Ward is very close to Middleditch used to live with him, so have no doubt he would have known the whole story. He's gone on record as saying so as well.

Using a bottle...as opposed to a vibrator say. It's not that uncommon. Nor is it to film things. But if there were injuries then of course that's terrible but the way you put it across it's like he was using it to hurt her deliberately. If the jury saw it and he was not guilty, then I'm guessing it wasn't that bad.

Anyway...let's move on shall we..
Yep they are damn good riders the pair of them 

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
Decent GP. Pleased for Freddie, he deserves one. Hancock just keeps grinding it you doesn't he and don't you just love Nicki!!
Gonna be pretty tight this year by the look of it.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
Best GP of the Season last night...love him or hate him, Nicki Pederson is pure box office....bailed out far too easily for my liking vs Holder. Got his come uppence in the next heat though when he did it again...Emil looked very quick..shame he lost out.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
Just noticed this thread - late, as is usual for me.. >:(.

I have it on my parents authority that I was taken down to the Alex Stadium in the very early 50's - and sat down on the crush barrier with a red & yellow cushion under me bum.....about the only thing I think I can remember is seeing the Harlem Globetrotters as a half time attraction - and some circus lady trick cyclist...
 My Mom had a crush on a certain Brummies skipper - which is why my middle name is Graham.  8)

Started going down on the return in 1970 - our whole family went down - we could hear the racing from Kingstanding !!! Always stood on the 3rd bend.

Followed them to a lot of places - some that don't exist any more - Boston, Bristol (Eastville), Eastbourne, Belle Vue, Rye House, Leicester, Stoke (Chesterton), Crewe - as well as Wolves, Coventry and my favourite away track Cradley ('Ammer 'em, Cradley !!).

My sister met her 1st husband on the coach to Stoke.... :D. We stopped going down just before the track closed...great memories though.. especially of the man who was born on 2 wheels - Arthur Browning...

Sweet times...

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
Nicki Pedersen is starting to look back to his best in the gp's, I thought he rode superbly last night. Hancock still leads on 97 pts, with Nicki on 91 & Crump/Holder not to far behind, could be a good finish this year. Bring on Cardiff.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
Pederson looked very quick last night...great that it looks like being a close run title..gutted for Holder last night, was starting to look the real deal, hopefully it's not too serious...Cardiff should be immense...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal