collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.  (Read 16549 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Ireland: GH will get the best out of me.
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
To me the best way to get the best out of Ireland is to switch Ashley back to left wing and bench Downing - That was we have Allbrighton and Young wide with NRC and Petrov in the middle with Ireland in behind Gabby, in a 4231 or 4411 depending how you look at it.  To do this we will have to pass the ball to each other and not just hit it long to Gabby for example when he is being marked by a 6'5" Zat Knight.

Albrighton is the one that needs resting, Downing has been one of our better performers in the last 2 games.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
To me the best way to get the best out of Ireland is to switch Ashley back to left wing and bench Downing - That was we have Allbrighton and Young wide with NRC and Petrov in the middle with Ireland in behind Gabby, in a 4231 or 4411 depending how you look at it.  To do this we will have to pass the ball to each other and not just hit it long to Gabby for example when he is being marked by a 6'5" Zat Knight.

Let's face it, that's the only formation that can accommodate Ireland, good player though he is - which does leave a problem for the new manager as he has a Milner size hole to fill until January at least.

Offline mr-villa

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
I don't think we can assume that O'Neill was in favour of the Ireland component of the transfer. On what basis can we assume that?
My understanding is that he was happy with having Ireland in part exchange, he was less happy at being refused permission to sign McGready and Keane for a combined total of the Milner proceeds.

He'd have probably put them on £50,000-60,000pw wages as well.

If we sign the wrong player then it is the manager's responsibility as it is a football decision. If we pay them too much then it is a bsusiness decision.

I don't think we can assume that O'Neill was in favour of the Ireland component of the transfer. On what basis can we assume that?
My understanding is that he was happy with having Ireland in part exchange, he was less happy at being refused permission to sign McGready and Keane for a combined total of the Milner proceeds.

He'd have probably put them on £50,000-60,000pw wages as well.

If we sign the wrong player then it is the manager's responsibility as it is a football decision. If we pay them too much then it is a bsusiness decision.

In that case my friend the business decision takes priority so in effect the Chief Exec makes the decision that the proposed wages are too high then its back to the players agent to consider the buying clubs wage offer.  If the rumours concerning some of the salaries that O'Neill gave to players are true then I wouldn't want him anywhere near my business.  I can't beleieve he could not have got players to sign for us on lower wages he just didn't seem bothered because it wasn't his money. 

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »
Good on yer Superman - nice to see positivity.

I wish the fans could see you as an expensive signing rather than someone we inherited.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
I have to say I think that Ireland is quite capable of playing in a midfield two, if the balance of the rest of the side is right.  Petrov is the one who "needs" a 3 man midfield in my opinion, as his legs are totally shot. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
I have to say I think that Ireland is quite capable of playing in a midfield two, if the balance of the rest of the side is right.  Petrov is the one who "needs" a 3 man midfield in my opinion, as his legs are totally shot. 

Maybe, but for me that two man midfield would need an extra solid right or left midfielders (not two wingers).  We do not have these sort of players in the squad, I'm thinking of a Parlour, Houghton, Beckham type player.

So, yes it could work but the squad would need some major tweaking.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »

I think Houllier will sort Petrov out.

He's past his best as a creative midfielder and is not as compbative as is required.

Albrighton /  Ireland / New midfielder or Reo-Coker / Downing /  Young

That's how I'd do things.

I'd defiantely see Ireland as 'the future' if I was GH.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
It can't be called a good or bad deal for the club until a) we see how Ireland makes out, and b) who we spend the money on.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »
I would play Ashley on Left Wing, Marc on Right wing, Superman in the hole, Nigel as defensive combative midfielder with Stuart Downing playing as playmaker role and Petrov can sit on the bench as cover.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2010, 05:07:52 PM »
I really wouldn't like to see Downing in the middle. He goes vanishing too much, he'd offer less than Sidwell.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
the problem is that teams are walking through the midfield.  Coker and Petrov cant keep up with play.  At least Young tracks back, and even Downing over the last few games is pressurising possession.  we miss Delph at this stage.  Maybe Collins is a short term fix.  Big, strong in the air, good tackler.  Cuellar and Dunne CB, Warnock and Young as the left and right back (I cant believe the shit Warnock is getting at the moment, good tackler, hard worker, good passer and pace, L Young was the guy that cost us the goal, got dragged out of position, and a slip did for us, yet he gets the praise? wtf?), Collins, Downing, Young, Albrighton and Ireland.  I suggest taking off Albrighton at 60 minutes, he is starting to blow then, thats because he works his ass off for the hour, take note Petrov.  Agbonlahor up front.  Ag needs games.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
There is no evidence to suggest Milner would have done anything other than play his heart out had he been denied a move to Citeh.  As was evidenced in his one game this season against Wet Spam.  A game that remains our one and only decent performance so far.

"When things are being said every day in the paper and wherever you go out and people are asking you what's happening and you don't know yourself, there's only one thing you can do, just concentrate on your football and that's all I did.

"I just kept doing as well as I could at Aston Villa and see what happened."

There is no reason at all for anyone to suggest he would have caused a problem if the board had decided after O'Neill left that the buying and selling of players should be left to a football manager.

Edit: If you can bring yourself to watch it, this is what he said about his take on being sold.

Clicky link to Sky Sports interview
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:48:30 PM by Villadawg »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Some of the rumours on him leaving was he wanted cash only and not Ireland as part of the deal.

I still prefer Ireland ahead of Mcgeady for example on who the money was possibly being spent on. But hopefully he will start to play in his new position and alleviate the vague Sidwellian apprehensions I have from his perfomances so far.

I must say I barely noticed Ireland on Saturday, so in that instance the Sidwell comparison is quite apt.

We know there is a player there, in the right formation hopefully we'll get the full benefit of his talents.

Watching us recently has brought back horrid memories of DOL's last season, where (on occasion) we started brightly enough, but when the opposition upped the ante we'd struggle. Having a kit similar to that period doesn't help either.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
There is no evidence to suggest Milner would have done anything other than play his heart out had he been denied a move to Citeh.  As was evidenced in his one game this season against Wet Spam.  A game that remains our one and only decent performance so far.

"When things are being said every day in the paper and wherever you go out and people are asking you what's happening and you don't know yourself, there's only one thing you can do, just concentrate on your football and that's all I did.

"I just kept doing as well as I could at Aston Villa and see what happened."

There is no reason at all for anyone to suggest he would have caused a problem if the board had decided after O'Neill left that the buying and selling of players should be left to a football manager.

Edit: If you can bring yourself to watch it, this is what he said about his take on being sold.

Clicky link to Sky Sports interview
Sounds like the words of a man who doesn't want to lose his signing on fee.

Offline pmk1981

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »
ireland needs a battling midfielder with him,  it now shows how much milner carried petrov.... petrov needs to go.  cant see him being captain much longer

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal