collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our sources say.....  (Read 38404 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Our sources say.....
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
Once  "Terrific" walked out Randy had very few choices. Appointing KMac to stand in was the best thing he could do.  He is  not "ruling  him out" at the mement becuase that is the right thing to do otherwise we will fall apart. However  he will not appointment him the job will go to a  "name".

To appoint someone on a fat contract in a hurry  just to see if we can rush  sign players in 10 days or so would have been foolish in the extreme. 
As  some of you pointed out hiring  highly skilled resource is  not an easy thing.  Most Employers take their time go through  headhunters and several selection loops and still only have a 50/50 chance of being right.

It is important  to make the right choice for ASTON VILLA and  missing 1 transfer  window or losing a couple of League games is a price worth paying.

Having said that  Randy please not BB!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »
Thanks dave, i am pleased we are getting someware now we are being more carefull now as to get the right man for the job. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »
I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

The last two didn't understand, which is why they failed. Ron Saunders and Sir Graham understood, which in part is why they succeeded. BFR, Brian Little, and even John Gregory understood. I don't think O'Neill did.

I personally think O'Neill did understand. Maybe because he was'nt a Vila old boy like the others you mentioned just made it come across that way?

Sir Graham was'nt a Villa boy i know, but was a masterstoke by Doug and was a good enough manager to make it work and was'nt afraid to tell it like it was. Someone of a simillar ilk would'nt go amiss this time round. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:37:20 AM by clampy »

Offline eastie

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
whoever is manager without substantial investment we will not get into the top 4 in any case!

Online stubbsyandy

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
Taking time is sensible as far as the bigger picture is concerned, but not only do the fans need to see that something is being done in the search for a new manager, but also the players.
Bad communication results in people guessing and thats potentially a damaging situation.
We need the right appointment, and to be honest, I can't see a homegrown manager who stands out as right for the job, so Koeman or CQ would be my choice.
My one fear is Ash jumping ship because he doesn't know what is being done to replace MON!

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
Taking time is sensible as far as the bigger picture is concerned, but not only do the fans need to see that something is being done in the search for a new manager, but also the players.
Bad communication results in people guessing and thats potentially a damaging situation.
We need the right appointment, and to be honest, I can't see a homegrown manager who stands out as right for the job, so Koeman or CQ would be my choice.
My one fear is Ash jumping ship because he doesn't know what is being done to replace MON!

Totally agree, I hope the players are being informed of what is going on a bit more than we are! If not you can bet some of them are going to their agents after recent results / performances "get me out of here".......

Jesus! Just flicked over to Soccer AM and Lee Hendrie is on looking as is more Orange as ever, what the f*ck does he look like!!!!

Offline eastie

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »
cant see quiroz taking the job to be honest , but koemans pubicly quoted himself as being shortlisted .

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
Perhaps we could try and stop such a microscopic analysis of each word that was relayed to Dave and which he has kindly passed on to us?

What do you mean by 'kindly'?

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week.

Why wait until next week to interview managers?! The board aren't training or managing the team directly, so surely they've had nothing better to do than to have started this process the second MON dropped us in the shit? Makes absolutely no sense to me - We're going to be haemorrhaging points in the meantime and progressively damaging the team's moral with every game that we go into and get trounced, as the last 2 have proved.

Transfer window will be well and truly shut too, so if Gabby gets injured, we're screwed! I just don't get it - We're fast becoming a laughing stock.  :(

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
In many ways I don't blame the board, but it puts us in a desperate situation in regards to the transfer window.

We are in for a torrid time this season whoever takes the job.

Thanks Dave.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
I think it is harsh to suggest he didn't "get" Aston Villa. I think he did, pretty much from the start. He had a high opinion of the club.

I think the problem at the end was that he had an even higher opinion of himself, and when it came to a little less for Martin O'Neill and a little more for Aston Villa he wasn't prepared to give it.

That's his decision, but i really do think he understood the club to start.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »
the information is pretty much what the general has told us all along....

i still think that its a poor show to not even be interviewing candidates 3 / 4 weeks after the manager ran away...

thats not impatience, a lack of respect, or any other nonsense written by some individuals on this site, as we have had it drilled into us in the past that "actions speak louder than words", and while most things done by the board so far have been excellent, that does not mean that we have to blindly accept when the actions do not back up the words...

we can be happy with the board overall, but not be happy with the current actions... or apparent lack of action...

as the general has said on more than one occasion, actions speak louder than words, and since o'neill has left, all we have had is words...

Offline eastie

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
i still would like to hear martins version of events , i think he should have gone in may but is like to know just what he was told regarding the milner money

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 10:57:25 AM »

Saunders got it without being a Villa man...

This whole "understands the special nature of Aston Villa" argument is nonsense if the examples given include the man who walked out of the club a couple of months before we were due to play a European Cup quarter final and pitched up on the other side of the city a week later.

All managers are self-serving - that's a direct consequence of being in a career where the likely tenure is usually no more than a couple of seasons.  He simply doesn't have the time to immerse himself in the history and tradition.  In the vast majority of cases, there is no point in the emotional investment. 

All we can ask is that whoever is in the manager's seat does their best by the club during his time with us.  They then in time become part of the tradition by dint of what they achieve.  If they do that, where they go next - be it a local rival, the England job or retirement - is irrelevant. 

Offline sfx412

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
The Board seem to be carrying out a standard job application process which could have involved experts in an initial candidate sifting process. Now they have the final candidate list and the interview process starts.
3 weeks to do that is quick.
At least by the Stoke game there should be a new man in the dugout and maybe a few loan signings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal