collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:51:14 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 04:44:04 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by itbrvilla
[Today at 04:34:54 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by eamonn
[Today at 04:31:03 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 04:30:47 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 04:25:55 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by simboy
[Today at 03:32:30 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:08:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: my first villa match  (Read 21404 times)

Offline freakypete

my first villa match
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
my first villa match was against ipswich town 1968 we drew 2 each.i was hooked have been on this villa drug ever since.the highs the lows ,friendships made,so many magic experiences,the hole in the wall dale end,yes having claret and blue blood is a lifetime of emotions

Offline RickySlade

Re: my first villa match
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »
You've got a few extra years on me!  From what I can remember, my first game was at Villa Park against Arsenal around 1989ish I think.  The score was 3-1 to the Villa and I can remember Tony Daley being beyond magnificent.  My memory might, however, be playing tricks on me.

Offline somersetlion

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
Lost to Spurs 2 - 1 in 85 - standing on the holte, even with the relatively small crowds of the time was amazing.  Mark Walters scored for us but it was a late consolation - nevertheless I was hooked.  Just found the programme.  First big game (and disappointment) was Oxford in the Milk cup semi final the same season.  Dad is from Oxford and although not a big football fan Oxford was his team - I was gutted.  2-2 at home and still hopeful but we lost the away leg.

Offline freakypete

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »
hi Ricky Slade the match you first saw must have been august 91 we beat Arsenal 3 1 Bigrons second home game as manager.Gary Penrice,Steve Staunton penalty and Tony Daley scored.

Offline Shottie

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
My first Villa match was at home against Oldham 12/04/1975 when we were in Division 2. I remember going through the junior/oap turnstiles on my own (there was a separate block of turnstiles for adults) and then waiting for my Dad to come and collect me from the bottom of the steps before we made our way onto the Witton end terrace. We won 5-0 and it cost something stupid like 25p to get in and the programme cost 5p.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
My first Villa match was at home against Oldham 12/04/1975 when we were in Division 2. I remember going through the junior/oap turnstiles on my own (there was a separate block of turnstiles for adults) and then waiting for my Dad to come and collect me from the bottom of the steps before we made our way onto the Witton end terrace. We won 5-0 and it cost something stupid like 25p to get in and the programme cost 5p.

I remember this game well, I'd been going for 8 years by this time, but this demolition of Oldham as good as marked our return back to the big time - I remember the tremendous feeling around the place at the end of the game.  Followed of course by away games at Blackpool and Sheffield Wednesday.

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 01:41:55 PM »
First game was a 2-1 win over Leeds United in May 77.  Cropley and Deehan scoring the goals.

This is a good site for match facts and stats.. line ups, scorers..

http://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/matches/season/1977/

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
First game was a 2-1 win over Leeds United in May 77.  Cropley and Deehan scoring the goals.

I remember this game as well Colin, it came a week or so of us demolishing West Brom 4-0 to complete that never to forgotten 76-77 season.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 02:09:09 PM »

I remember this game as well Colin, it came a week or so of us demolishing West Brom 4-0 to complete that never to forgotten 76-77 season.

The Bitters was the last match of the season and Andy Gray needed 3 goals for the Golden Boot - Bang Bang Bang and in they went!

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »

The Bitters was the last match of the season and Andy Gray needed 3 goals for the Golden Boot - Bang Bang Bang and in they went!
[/b]

"Andy is back, Andy is back, hello, hello"

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
Millwall at home 1988, first game back in Division One, 2-2 draw. McInally and Stuart Gray penalty, think both Cascarino and Sheringham scored for them.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »
I remember this game as well Deano, tremendous atmosphere on our return to the big time, after just a one year absence.

I remember we played Millwall in the League Cup a few weeks later and McInally scored a belter.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »
I remember this game as well Deano, tremendous atmosphere on our return to the big time, after just a one year absence.

I remember we played Millwall in the League Cup a few weeks later and McInally scored a belter.

yep

2-2 vs Millwall   

3-1 vs Millwall 

god I miss the old Trinity Road Stand

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Although when they put advertising over the blue frontage it was an outrage I remember

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
Yes, it spoilt what was and still is the most unique stand in football.

Thanks for posting those 2 clips.  I don't miss that awful kit though !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal