collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-match thread - Newcastle United v Aston Villa  (Read 27724 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Re: Pre-match thread - Newcastle United v Aston Villa
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:34 AM »
Having Albrighton, Young and Downing across the middle of the park will scare a lot of teams.
That we'll have a player of the quality of Ireland coming off the bench (I'm obviously assuming he won't start due to match fitness) is a very good sign and really something to stir up a tiring defence in the last half hour.

How on earth do you mark those three players who can rotate in the blink of an eye? Man marking is out of the question and being even slightly drawn out of position to one of those players will leave the not only the other two open but Petrov bombing through the middle.

It is truly scary. I'm glad we don't have to face them!

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
Quotes from some of the toon lads on their forums

"Young v Perch makes my bottom squeak."

"By the end of the game Carew is going to be calling Colo his new bitch. It's going to be a long season."

If we can frustrate them for 30mins and get a goal the fans will soon get restless too. They're clearly not too confident about the game. One guy said we're nothing special what's everyone worried about and he got slammed.

I think hard 20 mins. First goal goes in, they'll bottle it and the fans moan "here we go again" and we could come out of this with comfortable 2 or 3-0 win

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2010, 09:09:22 AM »
Mazrims side would be my choice aswell. Ireland from the start and then replaced after he tires. Step up Ashley Young, rested mid week and im expecting him to show his worth as our star player this season. This wont be a push over tho, lets hope the players stay focused.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
I'm confident we'll win, but we need to be careful.  It's their first home match back in the Premier League, and they and the fans will be right up for it.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
1-1. think we'll be a bit disjointed with milner gone.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
I hope Ireland starts, creates and then can come off in the last 15 mins for NRC to be more combative in application.

2-1 Villa

UTV

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
1-1. think we'll be a bit disjointed with milner gone.

I think there may be something in this as his non-stop running really covers for a lot of players that fail to get back due to ball-watching, unfitness, lazyness or lack of willingness to tackle.

However, I think it'll only take a couple of games to get over that and Newcastle are no contest for the fire-power we have.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
I'm confident we'll win, but we need to be careful.  It's their first home match back in the Premier League, and they and the fans will be right up for it.

yep, reminds me a bit of the Stoke away game two seasons ago when we got turned over there.

Won't be a walk in the park, I'd be fairly content with a draw.

Offline exigo

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
Cuellar's just tweeted that he's not in the team tomorrow. He's been given another week to get fully fit, so Luke Young should be playing at right back.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
I'm not sure whether we should pop Downing or Albrighton on the bench for this. both played mid-week, and both played well last Saturday, but then Downing has played 180 minutes in two games which has left me thinking of a switch.

Maybe bring Ireland in and put him the hole behind Carew, with Ash going out onto the flank and Nigel keeping his spot in a central two with Stan. We’ll still have of width and pace, a player in the hole and a lot of industry and running from Nigel, but without the dopey European referee to ping him for nothing.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
I hope Ireland doesn't start.

Chances are if anyone has to make way under those circumstances it will be Albrighton, and that will be a bit of a slap in the face after the start to the season he's had.

He might tire after the 60/70 minute mark though, as he looked dead on his feet in Vienna in the latter stages. Perfect time to bring on a not fully up to speed Ireland and exploit any gaps with his pinpoint passing.

The other option would be to start Ireland more central, alongside Petrov.
But a midfield containing Ireland, Downing, Albrighton and Young might be too lightweight, even for shite like the Toon. I'd prefer to see NRC in there. It will be his type of game, and I don't see the likes of Barton, Smith or Nolan worrying him.

As poor as Newcastle are, I think they'll be well up for this. And if they get some momentum behind them early on it could be tricky.

I'll go for 1-1 or 2-2.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
Same team as last Saturday with Ireland instead of Milner.

A win.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »

yep, reminds me a bit of the Stoke away game two seasons ago when we got turned over there.

Won't be a walk in the park, I'd be fairly content with a draw.

Have Newcastle got someone who can throw 40 yards in an almost straight trajectory? And iirc we had a pen turned down and then they went up the other end and got a dodgy one.

Anyway if we do win we could be second until ManU play.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Or joint top if we win 9-0!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
Or joint top if we win 9-0!

Get real ya muppet. We're going to win 10-0 and be top!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal