collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: All time Premier League table  (Read 18735 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: All time Premier League table
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
I like the all-time top division table better.

Link.

We are entrenched in fifth place. If sixth-placed Chelsea finish 25 points clear of us every year they still wouldn't overtake us for more than 30 years.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
Worse than that if you were an aspiring chairman to get into the premier gravy train league

Of the 24 teams that have been in and then relegated a quarter of them have continued to drop into the next division (League 1) 4 % of them have gone to league 2.

A quarter of all teams that got into the prem then relagated have slipped even further into the next division.

Maybe not the financial promised land they all think eh?

Get the finances wrong and your team could be ruined for years after

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »

Link.
This is not just better.  This should be the rightful one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:49:43 AM by *shellac* »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:19 AM »
I think that table is a little misleading if we're taking it to be our 'average' position.  The fact we've been in the PL every season since it's inception puts us right up there, but if A N Other side had been in every year and finished 11th every year, there average by this guage would probably be 8th or 9th.  Given we've only ever had three PL finishes above 6th (2nd in 93, 4th in 96 and 5th in 97) and some awfully low ones aswell, I think if you added up all our finishing positions and divided by the number of PL seasons, we'd be nearer 8th.     

EDIT:  just checked the figures and a true average of actual finishing positions over the 18 PL seasons is 8th.  I also checked where our average points per game would have gotten us each year, which also rounds to 8th.  And before I get accused of putting any pro-MON slant on this, I'll just say that the same calculation before he joined us would have shown nerarer 9th, but achieving a relatively consistent 2-3 places above our average is to be expected for the extra financial backing he was given. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:33:24 AM by John M »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
It's nice to see us sit proudly in 5th position hopefully we can improve on that in the coming years.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »
It's nice to see us sit proudly in 5th position hopefully we can improve on that in the coming years.

The gap between us and 4th is massive, unless one of those clubs gets relegated I can't see it being closed.

It's an interesting stat but the average league finish is more pertinent and a better barometer of how we are doing. Anything above 8th is us doing relatively well, anything below is us under performing and is a useful yardstick with which to measure the new manager assuming that he is backed appropriately by the board.

Online luke95

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
I think that table is a little misleading if we're taking it to be our 'average' position.  The fact we've been in the PL every season since it's inception puts us right up there, but if A N Other side had been in every year and finished 11th every year, there average by this guage would probably be 8th or 9th.  Given we've only ever had three PL finishes above 6th (2nd in 93, 4th in 96 and 5th in 97) and some awfully low ones aswell, I think if you added up all our finishing positions and divided by the number of PL seasons, we'd be nearer 8th.     

Which was the point i was trying to make the other day on another thread ..

We havent been a top 5/6 club for the best part of 70/80 years,
the past 3 years is probably the most consistant any living fan has seen us.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »

Link.

We are entrenched in fifth place. If sixth-placed Chelsea finish 25 points clear of us every year they still wouldn't overtake us for more than 30 years.

I see Glossop North End are rock bottom bottom of that table. Avram Grants next job when he gets the bullet from West ham next month ? 

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
Edit. This is a reply to Luke above. Forgot to put the quotes.

I disagree. Based on our past record at any one time we have always been a top 5/6 club, or thereabouts. Historically, to have been a top 5/6 club hasn't meant that club has consistently to be in the top 5/6 nearly every season. It is only the last 15 years or even less when there has been the same few clubs dominating the top of the league. Upto the 60's Liverpool were not even a consistent top division club, and the same applies to Chelsea up to the 90's. Even up to relatively recently ManU and Arsenal were just as capable of finishing in the bottom half of the division as the top half, each season.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:16:32 AM by maidstonevillain »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »

Only if you're about 10.

What about 1996 - 2000? 4 - 5 - 7 - 6 - 6

Since 1990, we've finished in the top six 10 times, and those 10 times we've finished 2nd twice, 4th and 5th once.

I wonder why we bother getting so aereated about the media talking us down when our own fans are so keen to do it at any opportunity. I wonder how our record since 1990 compares against, say, Tottenham's, and whether their fans talk themselves down as much as we do?

Online luke95

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »

Only if you're about 10.

What about 1996 - 2000? 4 - 5 - 7 - 6 - 6

Since 1990, we've finished in the top six 10 times, and those 10 times we've finished 2nd twice, 4th and 5th once.

I wonder why we bother getting so aereated about the media talking us down when our own fans are so keen to do it at any opportunity. I wonder how our record since 1990 compares against, say, Tottenham's, and whether their fans talk themselves down as much as we do?

my mistake about 97-98 i thought we finished 8th.

& im not talking us down .

my point is more often than not there are consistantly 5/6/7 other clubs who finish above us.
they might not always be the same clubs every season granted . 
But saying were 5th when its very rare we finish 5th is giving the wrong impression & heightens expectations. 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »

I don't think it's about talking ourselves down, it''s about keeping things in a realistic perspective.  Whether you take 6th or 8th as our average/natural/regular position, it's still a great achievement in the very competitive Premier League and something we should be proud of.  But mentioning the top 6 finishes without balancing it out with the times we've flirted with relegation is something the idiot fans the likes of Spurs do, and I like to think we're better than that!! 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
Does this mean we have to give some credit to Doug?

I'd rather not.

Oh okay then, he was perhaps less incompetent than most other PL chairmen outside the big 4.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 10:39:34 AM »
But saying were 5th when its very rare we finish 5th is giving the wrong impression & heightens expectations. 

The point is we've been in the Premier League every season since its inception, and not many other clubs can say that. I would say that, if anything, that table is a truer measure.

For example, Newcastle's failure to be good enough to even be in the premier league for two years since its start is reflected in that table.

Online luke95

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »

The point is we've been in the Premier League every season since its inception, and not many other clubs can say that. I would say that, if anything, that table is a truer measure.

For example, Newcastle's failure to be good enough to even be in the premier league for two years since its start is reflected in that table.

& again it gives the wrong impression , Newcastle 8th ?? when they've failed to finish top 10 in 8 of their 16 seasons in the prem.??

im not rubbishing Villa or putting us down i just think those tables dont tell the full story .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal