collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

Re: VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 10:57:38 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Drummond
[Today at 10:55:33 AM]

Re: VAR by OCD
[Today at 10:54:05 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:53:28 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???  (Read 58246 times)

Offline TonyD

Re: Kevin MacDonald the next Manager???
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
They played with pride, passion, confidence and passed the ball!!!  So far so good for KM.   He gets my vote for the time being.

Offline Tony

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
Why not. There's no real outstanding candidate at the moment.

See if Kev wants the job until December and then look at things again. You never know what other managers will be available in a couple of months

Agreed, with no outstanding candidate why not give the guy whose teams have consistently performed well a chance.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Absolutely,   he lives down the road from me.. Keep it local  ;-)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »
for the life of me i cant remember him playing for Liverpool in the double winning side in 86,
was he a regular first teamer ? what was his position ?

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:26 AM »
what was his position ?
Unfortunately for him Steve McMahon's

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
If they're going to give it to him, and I'm not against the idea, then they should do it promptly. If we're going to salvage anything from this transfer window we need a manager in place sooner rather than later. Leaving it 3 weeks and then deciding he can have the job would be a dumb thing to do.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »
While we play anything like that it at least buys time. A couple of poor performances and/or results immediately gets the worst of the media talking about "turmoil" and "crisis", this results in knee jerk reactions and panic from a certain section of any set of supporters. Right now, he has to be put in the frame along with all the other names being speculated on. Dont rush any decision either way when no rush is required right now. 

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
If they're going to give it to him, and I'm not against the idea, then they should do it promptly. If we're going to salvage anything from this transfer window we need a manager in place sooner rather than later. Leaving it 3 weeks and then deciding he can have the job would be a dumb thing to do.

I disagree. You are suggesting that such a big long term decison is made now, based on one result, in order for the possibility of signing a player or two as yet unammed who may or may not work out to cover us for 20 or so games between the window closing and re-opening. 

Offline sfx412

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
what a croc of horse shit.
Are we a newly promoted side no decent manager would risk, a lower mid table outfit who regularly flirt with relegation that can't find a decent manager so prmote from within. Worse still are we on the downward slope again because randy has no commitment, money or desire to do more than survive in the PL until it suits him to sell. What is it with some fans where do you want and what type of club do you want Villa to be.
Randy appointing McDonald would be a typical Ellis decision and if made would confirm much of the queries raised by those who still have doubts on Randy.
It would never work, it would be a waste of 5 years of investment, and as much as I like the bloke, he had little to do with that performance yesterday, a performance thaat did one thing. It showed the huge potential a top manager has to work with.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »

I disagree. You are suggesting that such a big long term decison is made now, based on one result, in order for the possibility of signing a player or two as yet unammed who may or may not work out to cover us for 20 or so games between the window closing and re-opening. 

I'm suggesting that if they want to give him the job then just do it rather than fanny around. If not, then get somebody else but uncertainty isn't good for anyone.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »
I think they probably will give him the job, but don't think they should.  By all means keep him as first team coach to work alongside a new bloke, but really, we need a top manager.  Much as I don't like saying it, I don't think KM is a sensible long term choice.

Offline Simba

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »
This from Steve Staunton about Kevin Mac:

“First and foremost he’s a top coach. I worked under him as a player in the early days and he’s as good a coach as I have ever worked with or under.

“There are quite some names on that list, and he’s up with the very best of them.

“He’s honest, he doesn’t take any nonsense, he’s a winner. He demands total commitment of a player, he gets them into a way of playing, not just passing for the sake of passing, it’s done to win a game of football.

“People will wonder if he can man-manage, but look at his record. Villa have won the ­reserve league three years on the trot and that’s actually one of the most difficult jobs in the game.

“You work with a mixture of eager kids and established players who are unhappy at being dropped from the first team, and if you can blend them into a unit that works hard and wins games then it proves you can handle people.” MacDonald has been behind the scenes at Villa for 15 years, and played a major role in a production line of young talent which has taken the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor and Nathan Delfouneso through to first-team football.

With others like Marc ­Albrighton, Barry Bannan and Ciaran Clark knocking on the door, and another group that reached last year’s FA Youth Cup Final also coming through, Staunton says that knowledge of the club will be crucial.

He said: “He knows the game inside out, he knows the players inside out, and he has great help alongside him with Tony McAndrew. Plus he was a top player, people forget that. He had four years as part of a terrific Liverpool team in the 1980s – he won the Double with them in 1986.

“And it was only because he unfortunately broke his leg the next year that he didn’t play loads more.”

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
He's definitely going to get it.  I just fear for the reaction if and when we have a bad spell, or when we're struggling to attract players in January.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »
Reserve Team Coach is "one of the most difficult jobs in the game"?

I think that comment demonstrates the intelligence and judgment that have been the hallmark of Staunton's managerial career to date.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
He's definitely going to get it.  I just fear for the reaction if and when we have a bad spell, or when we're struggling to attract players in January.

That would be my worry too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal