collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:31:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 02:31:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:30:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:30:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:30:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave P
[Today at 02:30:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:30:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by wolfman999
[Today at 02:30:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The end is nigh.  (Read 120279 times)

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
The end is nigh.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Does anyone really think those people DCF is talking about have formed that opinion after one pre season friendly?

I'm imagining not.

Well, I heard O'Neill's name sang very loudly during the Feyenoord game. Perhaps these people went home.

I'd also like to counter his "12 people around our table" by saying that out of everyone who goes to the Villa with me, I'm probably one of the least happy with O'Neill and I'm far from wanting him out.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
The end is nigh.
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »
I wanted MON to go at the end of last season.

He will take us no further.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
The end is nigh.
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
Quote from: "east19"
Good post andrew 08 , yes the Moscow debacle was where it began to go wrong for mon- a shocking mistake having played so many games to get that far and toss it away like that.

I agree that the Moscow thing was probably a turning point in most fans opinions of him, but I think it's wrong to call it a mistake.  It was a decision he had to balance based upon an unexpectedly high league position.  Had he gone the other way and Gabby and/or Ash had gotten injured on an artificial pitch in the middle of winter, during a game we were probably unlikely to win anyway, and then we had that slump there would still be people slagging him for getting it wrong.  As it goes the problem for the league wasn't Moscow, it was that ridiculous draw at home to Stoke in the next game.  

As to is time up for O'Neill, I'd say he'll be here the whole of next season as I simply can't see us having bad enough results that would force Randy to pull the trigger.  I think that what he needs is something to get the fans that have turned back on side.  Be it a signing that makes people sit up and take notice, a fantastic start results wise or a change to formation that shows something different.  If we're here having the same discussions in 2011, then maybe it would be best for all if we did part ways and allow the club to try soemthing different.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
The end is nigh.
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
After D'OL left, we needed some pride and passion restored. We needed to get some stability into our squad and plan for the future. With Randy buying in, we needed a 'name' manager to do all of this and to take us forward as a 'brand' (sorry).

MoN was the right man at the right time.

Sadly, I believe the time has finished. He's shown that he's very capable of putting a team out that can beat a team of equal ability. He's also shown that when the chips are down against better sides, he's utterly clueless.

Thanks for everything, Martin, you were what we were crying out for but now we need a modern manager/coach combination to take us into the next stage.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
The end is nigh.
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
Quote from: "Chris Harte"
I'm another who thinks O'Neill won't last the season, however calling for him to go on August 2nd is just nuts. It smacks of a knee-jerk reaction to be honest.

Agree on both counts!

Offline Arsey

The end is nigh.
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
If they were going to sack him (or not renew his contract) surely they would have done that at the end of the season.

Even if we did make a change I don't think a new manager would be given any money either, I don't think the money is there anymore.  Some of the fringe players MON signed aren't going anywhere because no one else will pay them what we are paying them; it is the very reason they signed in the first place.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
The end is nigh.
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »
Quote from: "march"
Quote from: "Risso"
Quote from: "march"
Quote from: "Chris Harte"
I'm another who thinks O'Neill won't last the season, however calling for him to go on August 2nd is just nuts. It smacks of a knee-jerk reaction to be honest.

it smacks of people acting like spoilt children, the internet age through forums and the such like has developed these kinds of things.

It smacks of people having an opinion that's different to yours.  How anybody could accuse DCF, a person who probably spends more time and money following Villa than anybody else on here of being "spoilt" beggars belief.  Spoilt by what?  The exciting signings and scintillating football?

The same fans who the previous night were singing MON's name clearly, even over the duff internet stream I had ?

thats f1ckle.

No, that's you assuming it's the same fans.  You could hear DCF singing over your internet stream could you?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
The end is nigh.
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
Quote from: "Troy Eccles"
After D'OL left, we needed some pride and passion restored. We needed to get some stability into our squad and plan for the future. With Randy buying in, we needed a 'name' manager to do all of this and to take us forward as a 'brand' (sorry).

Sadly, I believe the time has finished. He's shown that he's very capable of putting a team out that can beat a team of equal ability. He's also shown that when the chips are down against better sides, he's utterly clueless.

Thanks for everything, Martin, you were what we were crying out for but now we need a modern manager/coach combination to take us into the next stage.

Given our results against the 'big 4' and inability at home against weaker sides, I'd say that's the other way around if anything!

Online Olneythelonely

The end is nigh.
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »

No, that's you assuming it's the same fans.  You could hear DCF singing over your internet stream could you?

It's being suggested that most people in Portugal want him out.

Offline stevenjos

The end is nigh.
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
We can only hope the end is nigh.

Offline march

The end is nigh.
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
Quote from: "olneythelonely"

It's being suggested that most people in Portugal want him out.

I would suggest that the same people who watched Saturday were the same ones who went Sunday. Of course they know how hot and humid it was and playing two games in 24 hours would have took it out

Offline Arsey

The end is nigh.
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
Quote from: "PaulTheVillan"
I wanted MON to go at the end of last season.

He will take us no further.

Unless Randy decides he doesn't want to treat Villa as a business, no one will be able to take us further.  Modern football is all about turnover, we can  not compete with other clubs in the league and we never will.

Offline TimTheVillain

The end is nigh.
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »
Good point Arsey.

If a new Manager was to come in what would he be given ?

Looking at it in a doom and gloom way, it's like Randy has wagered everything on MON delivering and he hasn't.

We are probably in a worse position now than at this time last season.

I was slightly envious when Fulham took Hughes on - I think he can get teams playing football and he's not used to having wads of cash.

Well the latter isn't quite true, but it was only a fleeting visit to Coutts.

Offline Arsey

The end is nigh.
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »
Quote from: "John M"
Quote from: "Troy Eccles"

Given our results against the 'big 4' and inability at home against weaker sides, I'd say that's the other way around if anything!

Didn't we beat Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea at the start of last season?  I think we did pretty well against the perceived big 4 last season.
Our away form was also excellent.  What was disappointing was our inability to break sides down at home who came and played more defensively.

The problem was exacerbated in the final third of the season because the players were knackered.  So sides sat back, waited until the players were burnt out and then went for us.  West Ham (at VP) almost did this to perfection.

Online Olneythelonely

The end is nigh.
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:08 AM »
Quote from: "TimTheVillain"

I was slightly envious when Fulham took Hughes on - I think he can get teams playing football and he's not used to having wads of cash.

Apart from his last job, where he had more than any other manager ever.

Edit: Just seen your final sentence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal