collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park 1957  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Villa Park 1957
« on: July 30, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Villa Park 1957
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
Good picture.

I wonder who the little lad is who would now be about 60 ?

Could have been the son of one of the players who maybe maintained no interest and perhaps barely remembers that.

Or it could be someone who has been a life long supporter who would be proud as punch to see that picture turn up,

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Villa Park 1957
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Quote from: "Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air"
Good picture.

I wonder who the little lad is who would now be about 60 ?

Could have been the son of one of the players who maybe maintained no interest and perhaps barely remembers that.

Or it could be someone who has been a life long supporter who would be proud as punch to see that picture turn up,

John Russell (who else?) wrote about him in an old H&V. He was the team mascot for the FA Cup run. I'll try to find out more.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Villa Park 1957
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
From the man:

Players I may forget but I can never forget ANDREW PUGH

He was, I believe, a self appointed mascot or rather appointed by his father and mother!

Don't think they ever had any official backing.  Andrew just appeared one day (I wish I could remember when but can't), and nobody seemed to object or have the heart to tell him they objected.
and his appearance never spawned any duplicates or rivals as it might have done today. Nor did it when he eventually 'became too big'. Mascots had to be small! I think he lasted about three seasons.

One possible reason was that there were no replica shirts or anything like them so his mother made all his kits. We wondered whether she would come up with a cup final outfit but she did so she was obviously talented in that direction although most women made their own dresses back then.

Somehow he used to get by the players entrance on to the pitch when the teams came out, even at away grounds, and take it from there. Other teams didn't seem to have mascots - or at least not many did, so he really was a pioneer.

My friends and I being teenagers were of course totally jealous but even we doubted he would get through the security at Wembley. He didn't pre-kick off (at least I'm sure he didn't!) but somehow he managed it after the cup had been presented. He's in all the pictures.

They lived in Kingstanding I think but can't swear to it. But and I've asked this many times, Where is he now?  He must have a bucketful of memories to tell.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Villa Park 1957
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »
This must be the little rascal on the big day out at Wembley.

Re: Villa Park 1957
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
A few more from cup final day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal