collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Having Barry back?  (Read 16902 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Having Barry back?
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »
I voted yes and it seems I'm very much in a minority.

He is a quality player who would slot back into our system very easily.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Having Barry back?
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
Wasn't heartbroken to see him go, but I'm not blind to his gifts either.

Too old seems to be the common consensus, but his game was never about movement and pace. To play dial a cliché for a second, he has the first five yards in his head.

He's the closest player we've had to Paul McGrath, in so far as he can make it look effortless at times.

Barry, Ireland and £15 mill and I'd take it.

His departure last year should have opened up the possibility of a different style of play in midfield. And it did, to an extent. It produced a worse one. That's no slight on Milner, who performed well.

But there were parallels with Steven Davis at times, with the gaps being left in key areas after a surge upfield.

Barry isn't that kind of player. And we also missed out on his distribution and how he could always pick players out to set them away down the flanks to get our attacks going.

If we had Barry, Ireland and for the sake of argument Flamini on board by Sept 1st, combined with our current lot it would be very hard to argue that the midfield wasn't in far better shape overall.

Offline willywombat

Having Barry back?
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
KevinGage wrote:Barry, Ireland and £15 mill and I'd take it.

You dont seriously think they would be so stupid as to offer us that kind of deal do you? If they ever did then I'm sure we have their bloody arm off

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Having Barry back?
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
Wrong type of player with our "system" its been proven with Milner a quicker more mobile player suits us ..........

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Having Barry back?
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Quote from: "willywombat"
KevinGage wrote:Barry, Ireland and £15 mill and I'd take it.

You dont seriously think they would be so stupid as to offer us that kind of deal do you? If they ever did then I'm sure we have their bloody arm off

Who knows?

Don't ask, don't get.

There was talk of Ireland going for as little as £6million earlier in the summer (probably bollocks admittedly). And I'm pretty sure Lardarse hasn't increased in value after the year he's had up there.

That said, I reckon if he goes anywhere this summer it will be Tottingham. 'arry is a long-term admirer and they usually collect a few midfielders every summer. It's the Tottenham way.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Having Barry back?
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »
I think Barry was a Tottenham fan as a boy.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Having Barry back?
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »
Reading this thread, it appears a lot have voted with emotion instead of rationally.

To put it another way, if he'd never played for Villa, would you take him?

Would he still be considered old and slow at the age of 29 or would he be seen as a canny addition to the squad?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Having Barry back?
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »
Quote from: "Pete3206"
Reading this thread, it appears a lot have voted with emotion instead of rationally.

To put it another way, if he'd never played for Villa, would you take him?

Would he still be considered old and slow at the age of 29 or would he be seen as a canny addition to the squad?

I'd still consider him, without doubt. I've said it a thousand times, we need more composure and technical ability in our midfield.

Offline Karl Bridges

Having Barry back?
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
Imagine having Barry and Petrov CM. It's too scary to think about how many runners would expose the glaring lack of pace, I don't care how many yards he's got in his head. It never used to help him catch players bursting away from him.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Having Barry back?
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Quote from: "Karl Bridges"
Imagine having Barry and Petrov CM. It's too scary to think about how many runners would expose the glaring lack of pace, I don't care how many yards he's got in his head. It never used to help him catch players bursting away from him.

Imagine... I'm still having bloody nightmares about it two years later. I think I moaned about the lack of pace, flair and attacking ability from a two of Barry and Petrov every week when we played them as a two.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Having Barry back?
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »
I watched him for Man City against some Mexican team the other day and I have to admit that he was awesome, admittedly only in spells.

Petrov and Barry could work but they would both need to sit which I understand Barry was not prepared to do when he was last at Villa yet is happy to do it for England.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Having Barry back?
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
...Having said that I think he'd be way more likely to go to Liverpool or Spurs.  Probably better for all parties too.

Offline Karl Bridges

Having Barry back?
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
The problem at Villa was that he saw himself as an attacking midfielder, he just isn't that at all.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Having Barry back?
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »
A Man City season ticket holder told me this morning that Barry has been shit all season. Mind you, he told me that Richard Dunne was a useless lump. Does that put into perspective just how shit Barry has been for them.
I don't want him back as it will only confuse people as to who is actually being booed.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Having Barry back?
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "Karl Bridges"
The problem at Villa was that he saw himself as an attacking midfielder, he just isn't that at all.

still think he's better than just a holding midfielder though,
theres been plenty of matches in the past few years, where Barry has been the only thing worth watching throughout the whole game

a lot cleverer player than is given credit for, maybe his lack of pace makes him so

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal