collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Les Sealey  (Read 11915 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Les Sealey
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »
His behaviour against Sheffield Wednesday, when he couldn't accept that his mistake cost a goal, was totally unacceptable.

My best memory of him in a Villa match, is picking the ball out of the net three times in the 1994 League Cup final.

Online Chris Harte

Les Sealey
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:32:05 AM »
Quote from: "TopDeck113"
His behaviour against Sheffield Wednesday, when he couldn't accept that his mistake cost a goal, was totally unacceptable.

His behaviour was unacceptable, but perhaps tempered by the fact that the goal was, if I remember correctly, awarded by a linesman who was about 40 yards behind play. I don't know if it was a goal, I don't think TV replays showed beyond doubt that it was a goal.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Les Sealey
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: "eamonn"
I wonder how much he had a hand in our '94 League Cup win at Wembley. I think the suspended Schmeichael might have done better on Atkinson's goal. Not that I said that to the glory-hunters in school who all used the red-nosed keeper's absence (were they missing Cantona aswell?) as the reason for losing.

Cantona played.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Les Sealey
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:45 AM »
Quote from: "Nev"
I've posted this story before but it's worth repeating.

We were stuck in traffic after a game at QPR that Sealey had played in when who should come wandering down the non-descript side street but the man himself. Freshly showered with hair still wet, tracksuit on and bag slung over his shoulder. He looked like a Sunday footballer on his way to the pub. He told us that he was on the way to some relative who lived close by and just decided to walk due to the traffic.

Fair fucks to him, you wouldn't see it nowadays.

I beg to differ!  I remember we played Derby at VP getting on for 10 years ago, after a few bevvies after the game we got the bus from the bottom of Trinity Rd and on hopped Seth Johnson who was visiting his mom as he was born in Birmingham.

You wouldn't see that nowadays.

Offline Bungle

• http://www.loftys-stores.co.uk
Les Sealey
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
I can't remember the date of it,but according to Wikipedia it must have been between 97 and 200 I saw Marcus Bignot on the 145 bus into Birmingham.  I didn't know it was him at the time, just clocked the Crewe Alex tracksuit and noticed the 23 number. looked up their website later and there he was.

Offline The Man With A Stick

Les Sealey
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
I wonder how much he had a hand in our '94 League Cup win at Wembley. I think the suspended Schmeichael might have done better on Atkinson's goal. Not that I said that to the glory-hunters in school who all used the red-nosed keeper's absence (were they missing Cantona aswell?) as the reason for losing.

I'm sure Cantona played, he'd just come back from suspension for stamping on that Swindon player I think.

Offline selly park trinity

• GM : Jan, 2014
Les Sealey
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »
Quote from: "Bungle"
I can't remember the date of it,but according to Wikipedia it must have been between 97 and 200 I saw Marcus Bignot on the 145 bus into Birmingham.  I didn't know it was him at the time, just clocked the Crewe Alex tracksuit and noticed the 23 number. looked up their website later and there he was.

He used to live on Cartland Rd and the 145 goes past there.  Used to be in Perfection Snooker Club in Stirchley a lot when I went there.

Online Exeter 77

Les Sealey
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Quote from: "The Man With A Stick"

I'm sure Cantona played, he'd just come back from suspension for stamping on that Swindon player I think.

Cantona did play - line-ups can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Football_League_Cup_Final#Match_details

Offline gerags

Les Sealey
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »
My memory of Les was at Everton away.

I was stood on the terracing which was so low that our view of the the match was about knee height to the players.
Towards the end of the match whenever the ball came into the crowd he yelled at us to keep it to protect a slender 1-0 lead.

As the adage goes, cheats never prosper, and Eevrton scored their equaliser.
(At least this is what I believe to have happened)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Les Sealey
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »
He was mad but i liked him they dont have characters like him anymore.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
Cantona played in the '94 League Cup Final and we didn't bother marking him. He had a rubbish game. The theory being that he was better when he had somebody to beat.

Sad that if we bought a Manure player now they wouldn't say that he'd been sold to English rivals.....

I can remember being shocked at Sealey dying so young.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:59:34 PM by ADVILLAFAN »

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
A right character was Les Sealey, a proper old school footballer. His 'antics' in the goal were a wonder to behold, he had to be dragged away from the referee after that Sheffield Wednesday game, he used to go barmy at anyone who came near his goal, a proper nutter on and off the pitch, he passed away far too young.
And yes, Cantona played in that Final with Les in goal for United, the gallic 'King' (phaaa!) completely outplayed by young Graham Fenton.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
One of the crowd I used to go home and away with swears Bryan Small would have gone on to play for England without Mad Les shouting at him all the time. I've yet to meet anyone who agrees with him. Nice bloke though Bryan Small, I used to bump into him in Rosies in Solihull and he knew my cousin. Wonder what Les was like when he was out on the lash??

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
One of the crowd I used to go home and away with swears Bryan Small would have gone on to play for England without Mad Les shouting at him all the time. I've yet to meet anyone who agrees with him. Nice bloke though Bryan Small, I used to bump into him in Rosies in Solihull and he knew my cousin. Wonder what Les was like when he was out on the lash??

I played football with his brother for a few years a while back, who is a perfect Sunday League replica of him.

Rapid fast with the touch of a rapist.

Offline Willie Anderson

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »
Quote from: Nev
I've posted this story before but it's worth repeating.

We were stuck in traffic after a game at QPR that Sealey had played in when who should come wandering down the non-descript side street but the man himself. Freshly showered with hair still wet, tracksuit on and bag slung over his shoulder. He looked like a Sunday footballer on his way to the pub. He told us that he was on the way to some relative who lived close by and just decided to walk due to the traffic.

Fair fucks to him, you wouldn't see it nowadays.

I beg to differ!  I remember we played Derby at VP getting on for 10 years ago, after a few bevvies after the game we got the bus from the bottom of Trinity Rd and on hopped Seth Johnson who was visiting his mom as he was born in Birmingham.

I was walking down Aston Hall Road after our game against Leicester City(2003?), when I became aware of someone behind me in blue, it was french player Lillian Nalis all decked out in his Leicester City tracksuit c/w boot bag.

I nudged me mate & said "shall I twat him?" ,my mate just rolled his eyes in disgust, now if it had been Robbie Savage ;-).

Nalis just  jumped into a car under Cuckoo bridge & drove off, I assume unaware of his precarious safety.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal