collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: European U-19 Championship Finals: Villa call-ups  (Read 20901 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
European U-19 Championship Finals: Villa call-ups
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
Congratulations to Nathan Baker and Nathan Delfouneso.

From Pravda:

Nathan Delfouneso and Nathan Baker have been named in England's squad for the European Under-19 Championship Finals in France.

The Villa duo are in the 18-man party to head to the championships, as they look to go one further than last year when they were beaten by hosts Ukraine in the final.

Delfouneso, the Golden Boot winner at the 2009 tournament, is the most experienced member of the Young Lions squad, having scored nine goals from 21 appearances at under-19 level.

The striker's call-up comes on the back of an impressive 2009-10 campaign, which saw him score his first Premier League goal for Villa as well as netting on his England under-21 debut against Greece in March.

Defender Baker, who has six caps at under-19 level, has been part of the club's highly successful reserve team over the past couple of seasons and spent much of last term gaining valuable first team experience on loan at Lincoln City.

England will kick off their Group A campaign against Austria in Flers on Sunday July 18, before taking on Netherlands and France.

The top two nations from each group will progress to the semi-finals on Tuesday July 27, with the final in Caen on Friday July 30.

Group B will be made up of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Croatia.

The top six teams in the competition will also go on to be Europe's representatives at next year's FIFA U20 World Cup in Columbia.

Other players included in the England squad are Tottenham's John Bostock, Tom Cruise of Arsenal and West Ham youngster Frank Nouble.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
Lets see if the young lions can do us proud.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:24:20 PM »
I heard on the news this morning that Villa were one of the clubs which weren't going to allow any Under-19's in this competition.

Glad to see we are.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
My only worry is that last year, because Fonzie was not here pre-season, it took a while for him to work his way back into the managers plans. He didn't really have the chance to shine in the Peace Cup and push his way into Martin's thoughts more predominently.

I really hope Fonz gets given more game time this season. He's gonna be quality. Above all he's a young English forward with some technical ability and eye for a finish.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »
Seems like a good idea to me......give the lads some competitive games they should come back ready to start the season flying but with MON's use of his squad/only picking his favourites the Fonz may see all his efforts wasted

Offline march

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
which numbskull in Fifa scheduled this at the time of pre season. Pre season for Nathan D this season is vital for his progress to the first team and not an under 18 team playing slow slow football

Offline Linus

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
Andreas Weimann's going, too, for Austria

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Is Ciaran Clark too old for this tournament then?

Think it's quite a good thing they're going as they'd only be playing friendlies.

If Fonz is top scorer for example in this tournament, he'll come back full of confidence which should benefit him and us.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
and Albrighton did get a chance in the peace cup, was probably our best player, but still barely got a chance (admittedly, he didn't look ready when given a chance in the prem)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
Would rather see Delfouneso start pre-season with us and giving Gabby a run for his money to start against West Ham.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
Quote from: "Matt Collins"
and Albrighton did get a chance in the peace cup, was probably our best player, but still barely got a chance (admittedly, he didn't look ready when given a chance in the prem)

He looked like a rabbit caught in headlights on his Prem debut but he impressed in the game in which he got injured.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
Albrighton should've gone out on loan in the early part of last season when he wasn't even getting into the 18.

Offline supertom

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Yes, Albrighton did make it to the bench early on last season, but as said, he didn't look ready. He came on opening day didn't he? In the Wigan debacle. He quickly ended back in the reserves, and didn't appear till mid season I recall.

Fonzie though didn't really get his chance till the season was well under way. I'd have expected him to play earlier than he did. In part an early Euro exit was a factor of course. But Martin said as much last season, that he was not entirely happy about Fonzie playing in the championships because of missing pre-season.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
Quote from: "Legion"
Quote from: "Matt Collins"

He looked like a rabbit caught in headlights on his Prem debut but he impressed in the game in which he got injured.

Brighton wasn't it?  He looked really good in the short while he was on the pitch.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
Tom Cruise of Arsenal. I've heard he's a bit of a Maverick. I wonder if he'll become a Top Gunner?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal