collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know none of you care but ........ (the Baseball thread)  (Read 482180 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: I know none of you care but ........ (the Baseball thread)
« Reply #2910 on: August 15, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »
There’s a big Yankees store near Times Square if you’re doing general touristy stuff. Plus lots of other shops sell their gear too.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2911 on: August 15, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »
I’ll definitely check it out. We’ll be arriving in NYC the day before the game so imagine we’ll be heading to Times Square on Saturday evening after checking into the hotel. I’m guessing the sought after Yankees merch is the NY cap or baseball.

I’m actually collecting a shot glass for every American city I’ve visited so will no doubt be frequenting quite a few tat shops! ;D

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2912 on: August 15, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
How do they manage to get 81 home games per season then? :o

When teams play each other they play a series. So when the Yankees go to the Red Sox they don't play one game, they play 2-4 games, a 3 game series being the most common. Usually consecutive days, and then when the Yankees leave Boston Baltimore will come in and play a series. And so on.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2913 on: August 15, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
Yeah we’ll be at the third game of a 3 game series against Blue Jays. So do they get points for winning the series or do they get points per game in a series?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2914 on: August 15, 2019, 09:11:38 PM »
They just go by wins and losses. Red Sox are currently 64 59, 64 wins and 59 losses. 3rd in their division, Yankees top with an 81 41 record. So the Sox are 17.5 games behind the Yankees. The .5 is because they haven't played the same number of games. And that 17.5 means the Yankees would have to lose, and the Red Sox win, 17.5 games in a row to be level.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:24:13 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline KRS

« Reply #2915 on: August 15, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
And there was me thinking it was hard enough to get my head around the rules! 😂

So it sounds like Yankees are nailed on to win the league? Is it close to the end of the season now?

Would I be right in saying you can take beers to your seat in the stadium? I’ve seen them selling/throwing nuts in the stands but I’m guessing you actually have to go down and buy your beers and hotdogs?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2916 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:24 PM »
Almost certainly, they're 10 games ahead of the second placed Rays. You can drink on the stands as far as I know, and they have vendors going up and down a lot of the aisles with food and possibly drink as well. If you're a way along the row of seats from the aisle basically your money and food/drink gets passed along the row of seats to each other.

If you haven't watched much baseball and want to see some beforehand to get a better hang of it you can watch full games on youtube. And MLBTV usually show a live free game every day.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:28:11 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline KRS

« Reply #2917 on: August 15, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »
Yeah I went to baseball, basketball and ice hockey games last time I was in America a few years ago and they had cup holders on the seats in front (some rank bastard in front of us was chewing tobacco and using his to hold his glass of spit! 🤮). I also remember paying over $10 for a beer in the stadiums which wasn’t as impressive as the cup holders!

I’m wandering if wearing a Villa retro shirt would be frowned upon at a game in NYC.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2918 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:51 PM »
Beer sales end around the 7th inning but at the prices they charge in stadium, getting ratarsed is expensive.

Wearing a Villa shirt should be no problem and could be a decent ice breaker to start conversations with people in the seats around you

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2919 on: August 27, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »
Original Tampa Rays owner Vince Naimoli has died at 81.

He got a bad rap as Rays owner and no doubt he tried to do things on the cheap.

As I've mentioned on here before, back in 2000 I attended a game at all 30 ballparks in 32 days. There were 6 of us who completed the trip, our leader being a Tampa resident and season ticket holder.

In 2001 we were invited to the Hall of Fame over induction weekend and had our own induction ceremony for the 'Stadium Hall of Fame' along the lines of the main one, including speeches and wearing a team cap.

Vince flew up from Tampa to be there for my mate's induction and came across as a nice guy. He also had my mate introduced to the crowd at a Rays game and inducted into the team's own hall of fame.

A couple of years later, my mate told Vince about the poor state of repair of the baseball field at their mutual alma mater,  Fairleigh Dickinson University. Vince donated $1m to build new facilities.

Online Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2920 on: August 29, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
Yeah I went to baseball, basketball and ice hockey games last time I was in America a few years ago and they had cup holders on the seats in front (some rank bastard in front of us was chewing tobacco and using his to hold his glass of spit! 🤮). I also remember paying over $10 for a beer in the stadiums which wasn’t as impressive as the cup holders!

I’m wandering if wearing a Villa retro shirt would be frowned upon at a game in NYC.

Bring photo I’d to Yankee stadium to get a beer. I am an obvious 40 ahem something and couldn’t get a beer as I had no proof of age. At Fenway, Boston they didn’t ask and I happily had a couple. Sat by a Millwall fan in his top at Boston and had a good time and piss take with him.

Offline NottsVilla

« Reply #2921 on: August 29, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »

As I've mentioned on here before, back in 2000 I attended a game at all 30 ballparks in 32 days. There were 6 of us who completed the trip, our leader being a Tampa resident and season ticket holder.

In 2001 we were invited to the Hall of Fame over induction weekend and had our own induction ceremony for the 'Stadium Hall of Fame' along the lines of the main one, including speeches and wearing a team cap.

Vince flew up from Tampa to be there for my mate's induction and came across as a nice guy. He also had my mate introduced to the crowd at a Rays game and inducted into the team's own hall of fame.

A couple of years later, my mate told Vince about the poor state of repair of the baseball field at their mutual alma mater,  Fairleigh Dickinson University. Vince donated $1m to build new facilities.

That must have been a fantastic trip. How difficult did you find to plan it?

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2922 on: August 29, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »

Bring photo I’d to Yankee stadium to get a beer. I am an obvious 40 ahem something and couldn’t get a beer as I had no proof of age. At Fenway, Boston they didn’t ask and I happily had a couple. Sat by a Millwall fan in his top at Boston and had a good time and piss take with him.

I carry my passport with me all the time in the Colonies. Even as a fat, bald bloke nearing 50 I still get ID’d

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2923 on: August 29, 2019, 10:07:39 PM »

That must have been a fantastic trip. How difficult did you find to plan it?

Luckily I didn’t do any of the planning (other than getting myself to/from the US). I just had to make sure I was where I should be at the right time. However, since we were travelling nearly every day, that was bad enough.

My mate runs a sports travel company near Boston, so he put together the trip as a celebration for the millennium. Nine of us started out but only six of us made it all the way.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2924 on: August 29, 2019, 10:14:25 PM »
If you'd done the 30 grounds in 30 days then i'd have been impressed  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal