collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I know none of you care but ........ (the Baseball thread)  (Read 482022 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: I know none of you care but ........ (the Baseball thread)
« Reply #1035 on: December 10, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I never want to hear a redsox fan ever say the yankees "buy their championships"

BTW, quick quiz question:

Last year only ONE team had more homegrown players than the Yankees.  Who was that team?

I see nothing wrong with "buying a championship". I've more of a problem with the draft system.

Here's a good article by Olbermann regarding how acting like the Sox and Highlanders is nothing new

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/110_years_of_buying_the_best.html

As for your quiz............ off the top of my head and without googling, I'll go for the Royals or Rays

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/110_years_of_buying_the_best.html

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1036 on: December 12, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Ticket booked for eight Sox games at Fenway next season

(Loads of smiling, clapping emoticon thingys)

BA have a link up with the hotel I normally stay at. I'd prefer to fly with AA but using BA almost halves my flight/hotel costs.

Hopefully there will be no industrial action. I'm flying around the time of Kate & Willy's wedding. I'm banking on UNITE not risking a strike that week for fear of an "off with their heads" situation.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1037 on: December 14, 2010, 08:06:05 AM »
Cliff Lee signs with the Phillies

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove10/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=5918008

I didn't see that one coming

Offline pmarachi

« Reply #1038 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
yeah, I didn't see that coming either.

Nothing much anyone could do.  He wanted to be there and took less money to make it happen. 

People here are trashing Cashman, but I don't see how this could possibly be his fault.

And the only team with more homegrown players the last year the yanks won the world series was actually the Rockies.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1039 on: December 16, 2010, 08:21:50 AM »
Farewell to Bob "Rapid Robert" Feller, dead at 92

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5900647

Pitching legend and, even though he was white, a leading proponent of the integration of US sports

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #1040 on: December 16, 2010, 08:21:49 PM »
Blimey, a baseball thread... fantastic, i've been on H and V for ages and never seen this!

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #1041 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
Oh and don't laugh, i'm a big Cubs fan.. I went to Wrigley 10 years ago and have loved them ever since, I haven't made it yet but the drive to Chicago is 15 hours away, I keep trying to convince the wife we should go for the shopping! ;)

Offline pmarachi

« Reply #1042 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
Cubs are a cool team to follow.  It will make it that much better when they win.

I am planning on bringing my son to the stadium for the first time this year.  He is really excited.  He's 2.5 years old and ALL he talks about is "Me and daddy are going to YANKEE STADDDDDDIUUUUUM".

It's great.  He even carries around a picture.

The only question now is, do I put him in a good seat, or use the ticket package I get in the bleachers...

Might as well go all in and throw him into the bleachers, right?

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1043 on: December 17, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »
Oh and don't laugh, i'm a big Cubs fan.. I went to Wrigley 10 years ago and have loved them ever since, I haven't made it yet but the drive to Chicago is 15 hours away, I keep trying to convince the wife we should go for the shopping! ;)

Welcome to the thread and commiserations on being a Cubs fan. I've sure things will work out one of these centuries.

You were at Wrigley ten years ago and liked it ?!? (or were you so beered up, you didn't notice that it was a dump ?)

If you work your way thro' this thread you'll see that, originally,  Wrigley wasn't one of my favourite ballparks (and making a comment to that effect nearly had me run out of a press conference I was giving in Cooperstown).

However, in the last couple of years they at last seem to me doing some maintenance and making the most of what they have, rather than just relying on the "wow" factor.

Not long now until "Pitchers & Catchers" and the start of a season that will obviously end in a Red Sox versus Phillies World Series.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1044 on: December 17, 2010, 07:39:41 AM »
Cubs are a cool team to follow.  It will make it that much better when they win.

I am planning on bringing my son to the stadium for the first time this year.  He is really excited.  He's 2.5 years old and ALL he talks about is "Me and daddy are going to YANKEE STADDDDDDIUUUUUM".

It's great.  He even carries around a picture.

The only question now is, do I put him in a good seat, or use the ticket package I get in the bleachers...

Might as well go all in and throw him into the bleachers, right?

Don't forget to take him to "Stan's" first !!

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1045 on: December 17, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
Boston sign another bald, fat guy. There's hope for me yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5926886

Bobby Jenks joins the Red Sox Nation

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #1047 on: December 19, 2010, 03:07:56 AM »

Welcome to the thread and commiserations on being a Cubs fan. I've sure things will work out one of these centuries.

You were at Wrigley ten years ago and liked it ?!? (or were you so beered up, you didn't notice that it was a dump ?)

If you work your way thro' this thread you'll see that, originally,  Wrigley wasn't one of my favourite ballparks (and making a comment to that effect nearly had me run out of a press conference I was giving in Cooperstown).

However, in the last couple of years they at last seem to me doing some maintenance and making the most of what they have, rather than just relying on the "wow" factor.

Not long now until "Pitchers & Catchers" and the start of a season that will obviously end in a Red Sox versus Phillies World Series.

Give the Cubs a few years and we will have a stronger team, as long as they move Hendry on from GM soon otherwise it could be next century but being a Villa fan as well I have to be the eternal optimist.

As for Wrigley, I had been to a few ballparks and they all seemed so sterile, I loved the feel of the place, the stadium and it was a day game (a doubleheader against the Dodgers all for $10) the atmosphere, the stands reminded me of the old trinity and it was a true american tradition. I'm sure Fenway has a similar character that cannot be transferred into the new ballparks, and that is what I love about baseball... you are watching the game in the same surrounding as it was years ago. Next time you go to Chicago give it another chance, i'm sure it will be more enjoyable for you.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1048 on: December 19, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »

As for Wrigley, I had been to a few ballparks and they all seemed so sterile, I loved the feel of the place, the stadium and it was a day game (a doubleheader against the Dodgers all for $10) the atmosphere, the stands reminded me of the old trinity and it was a true american tradition. I'm sure Fenway has a similar character that cannot be transferred into the new ballparks, and that is what I love about baseball... you are watching the game in the same surrounding as it was years ago. Next time you go to Chicago give it another chance, i'm sure it will be more enjoyable for you.

I've been to Wrigley the last two seasons and there's definitely an improvement in the way that the place is being looked after.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #1049 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
Royals seem like they'll be trading Zach Greinke to the Brewers

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5935586

That removes the last reason to watch Kansas City

Milwaukee should suit Zach. Given his past troubles, a major market wouldn't have been good for him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal