collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Ian.
[Today at 08:10:49 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Ian.
[Today at 08:09:48 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ez
[Today at 07:57:07 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Ian.
[Today at 07:57:04 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:50:51 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 07:50:33 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by RamboandBruno
[Today at 07:41:25 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by stubbsyandy
[Today at 07:19:51 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 20% Villa RIP Dave Simmons  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
20% Villa RIP Dave Simmons
« on: July 04, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »
At the risk of becoming a full time obituary writer, today came the news of the sad passing of Dave Simmons, formerly of Aston Villa but more famously of the Colchester United team that stuffed Leeds in the FA Cup many years ago.

Simmons was only at Villa for a short while but was a old fashioned centre forward who scared goalkeepers- I remember Bob Wilson was particularly spooked by him.

I posted the Hugh Johns obit and now this one, they say things happen in three's and I don't feel well.

Note to Chico Hamilton III- it's quite worrying isn't it when your boyhood heroes start shifting off the mortal coil, I am sure you can provide some stats on Simmons' appearances for the Villa.

Rest in Peace Dave Simmons

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »
He scored at the Holte End against the Blues. I seem to remember another of our players sitting on the Blues keeper just to help things along. Anybody else recall that?

Online steamer

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »
Argus Headline, " Simmons crowns villa king of Brum"

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
My Left Foot should be word filtered to "Angel of death"

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
Joined from Arsenal in February 1969, sold to Colchester on 17th December 1970.

In total he played 13 games and scored seven goals. Not a bad record, which makes me wonder why he didn't play more often, especially as he got five from nine in his first season. Anyone know if he was injured?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »
can't add any more to this, I'm afraid.

Just done a press search on my trusty Lexis Nexis but all I get are articles about the leeds v Colchester game and a goal he scored as a 17-year old Arsenal player against Huddersfield in 1966.

Apparantly he finished his career with Cambridge United and then cambridge City in the mid 70s.

Would that mean that Big Ron might have managed him at some point?

There are some stats on the internet but god knows how accurate they are - they don't tally exactly with Dave's details ( which I would trust far more than an unknown internet address)

Cancer wasn't it? terrible

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »
Spoke with a local newspaperman in Colchester. If anyone would like to send condolences, I have the family's details.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »
Terrible news, he wasn't at Villa long but was one of the players I watched as a youngster.
Big, burly player who was signed by Tommy Doc, I think from Arsenal for £15,000. He scored 4 in 5 games at the start of his Villa career, including that winner against Blues when he scored in a goalmouth scramble whilst lying on the floor, one of my early Villa memories.
I have a great photograph of that goal and I'll try to put it up here later if I can work out the technology.
He later was loaned to Walsall but transferred to Colchester when he was probably most famous for scoring one of the goals that knocked out mighty Leeeds at Layer Road in The FACup Third Round.
RIP Dave Simmons.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 11:31:23 AM »
I really hope this works as a tribute to Dave Simmons,

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
Ronshirt, the players sitting on Dave Latchford were Lew Chatterley and the late Brian Tiler wearing no. 10. Dick Edwards is looking on, of course.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
Quote from: "steamer"
Argus Headline, " Simmons crowns villa king of Brum"

I remember the headline well, not least as I have the same surname, so was pretty chuffed as a 15-year old to have the Argus announcing my efforts for Villa

RIP Dave Simmons

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »
... and the no 8 on the right blocking off Gary Pendrey is Brian Godfrey. Typical of Docherty's team just after he took over. Winning is everything, style is secondary.

Over 53,000 in the crowd that day and after three very embarrassing defeats since our relegation in 1967, Simmo's goal is still up there in my mental 'Villa Park's greatest moments' gallery.

Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
Joined from Arsenal in February 1969, sold to Colchester on 17th December 1970.

In total he played 13 games and scored seven goals. Not a bad record, which makes me wonder why he didn't play more often, especially as he got five from nine in his first season. Anyone know if he was injured?

I don't recall him having any significant injuries. He was pretty much first choice for the remainder of the 68/69 season after he signed, even though he did not play in every game.

He joined after a straight fight with Bournemouth (where he had been on loan) for his signature.

From the off, he was clearly not a particularly skillful footballer. However he scored some excellent - not to mention important - goals in the great revival towards the end of the 68/69 season.

I recall an excellent strike from a narrow angle against Bury (1-0) and a screamer from distance against Sheffield United (3-1). He also notched a corker of a headed own goal against Brian Clough's Derby (0-1).

There were perhaps a number of reasons why he faded from the picture in the dreaded 69/70 season.

We had bought Chico Hamilton and Bruce Rioch (initially considered a striker) in the close season. With Brian Godfrey (still a striker) also in contention I think it was more a case of falling down the pecking order, especially as defeat followed defeat, the football was dire and the team changed pretty much every week.

He was always the type of player to get the axe after a bad team performance, especially as he was competing for a place against big money signings and one of the manager's favourites.

Vic Crowe, when he succeeded Docherty, quickly bought Andy Lochhead and that pretty much signaled the end of Simmo's Villa career nine months give or take before he actually left for Colchester.

I do remember a last minute equaliser against QPR that season, which was headed in from right under the bar after an outrageous up-and-under. It should have been the goalkeeper's ball all the way, but the visiting team's no. 1 remained strangely rooted to the spot as Simmo steamed in. I'd like to think the keeper valued his wellbeing more than he did his win bonus.

Simmo may not have been in the van Basten class, but he was well liked by the Villa Park gallery, and for good reason.

His would be one of the first names I'd throw at the likes of Sasa Curcic in a 'if only you had just a fraction of this man's attitude and application ..' type of tirade.

So few appearances, yet 38 years later he is still remembered in an instant and with affection by those who were there.

RIP Simmo.

Offline Ro-land Browning

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »
Lovely tribute, thanks Steve.

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
At the risk of appearing unkind, do I correctly recall Dave Simmons scoring an own goal in 1-0 home defeat to Derby County in the season when Derby ran away with the then 2nd division ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal