collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Lions and Legends statement  (Read 19914 times)

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
Villa Lions and Legends statement
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
It's a rather long read.

Karl Court
Dear readers of this article,
I am Stephen Staunton who very proudly played for Aston Villa Football Cub. I write as the joint founder of the Lions & Legends Association. I have been made aware of the following message on Facebook and I am not prepared to allow it to remain without response. This is a long overdue opportunity for us to tell you why Lions & Legends have been formed and of the success it enjoys. The message reads:
ASSOCIATION FUNDRAISING EVENTS
Wendy Anita > ASTON VILLA FORMER PLAYERS ASSOCIATION FUNDRAISING EVENTS
“For a period of time, there have been several posts on Facebook denigrating the Aston Villa FPA and the Aston Villa Old Stars football team. Our policy has been to ignore these and let our activities and actions speak for themselves. However, when a post last Wednesday by James Roach alleges wrongdoing within the Aston Villa FPA, we cannot ignore this serious allegation that is wholly untrue and potentially libellous. We are fully aware that a very small group of disaffected former players has set up a Lions & Legends organisation to rival the Aston Villa FPA and the Aston Villa Old Stars football team that have been doing great work for 20 and 54 years respectively. The Aston Villa FPA continues to enjoy the support of Aston Villa former players from the 1940’s to 2000’s, bar the very small number that comprise the core of Lions & Legends. The Aston Villa FPA is an open and transparent organisation whose core purpose has always been to provide essential health & welfare support to former players in need, whilst the Aston Villa Old Stars football team has to date raised well over £5 million for charities. It is run by a strong representative management team that includes former players John Donnelly, Neil Rioch, David Norton, Mark Kinsella, Mark Draper, Tony Daley, Gareth Farrelly, Jon Pearson, Derek Dudley, Charlie Aitken and Peter McParland among others. The Aston Villa FPA will maintain its integrity at all times and rise above the smear tactics employed by misguided and misinformed opponents. However, we cannot allow serious allegations that are potentially libellous to continue unchecked and we will take necessary action where appropriate.” Aston Villa FPA management team.

It is not the wish of Lions & Legends to have bought our disagreement with the AVFPA into the public domain in this way, but now we have no choice but to respond. Please allow me to state some facts to enable you to reach your own conclusions as to why we walked away from the AVFPA. You should know that its management team is self-appointed, self-governed and in my opinion not transparent. Its core purpose is also disputed and I challenge it. If the players are at the core of what it does, why not stand down and hand it to the players or bring into the open all of the issues ex-players have, instead of the one sided slant currently given.
I do not know the gentleman referred to in the statement released and the ex-players at the head of Lions & Legends have no idea what has been said. Whatever it is, it is not from Lions & Legends, although the above statement appears to be constructed to indicate that it is. Why mention Lions & Legends if not?
Lions & Legends were formed, along with my own foundation, because a number of high profile players had become deeply disillusioned with The AVFPA and the way it operated. To be clear, it is a company and not a charity and has never been so, with one shareholder, Neil Rioch.
The AVFPA claims it is run for the health and welfare of former players. It has only the ex-players as its vehicle to achieve this, yet when the players wanted a say and asked for the detail of what moneys came in and what went out, it was ignored. This was not acceptable to many who gave their time and reputations to that association.
We see the AVFPA makes a claim that it has raised £5,000,000 (million) pounds for charity. We have asked before for proof of this, but have never been shown it, not forgetting it is our names and reputations that have been used to achieve all that the AVFPA claims to have achieved. Should one player wish for this information, never mind a group of high profile ex –players, then surely it should be provided. Our group is not swayed from this opinion.
Led by Ken McNaught (who used to work for the AVFPA, but left because of the way it was managed and its actions) Lions & Legends now does what the players who support it required the previous incumbent of their trust, the AVFPA, to do.
The following wording within the statement to which I refer, apparently signed by the Management of the Aston Villa FPA, demonstrates the disrespect the AVFPA has for the ex-players associated with Lions & Legends and their considerable achievements in the football world. It reads,
“We are fully aware that a very small group of ‘disaffected’ former players” etc. The definition of disaffected is: discontented and resentful especially against authority: rebellious. Who are we supposed to be resentful against? How are we rebellious?
Let me tell you who that very small group of ‘disaffected players’ are, who, you should know, have written, through a lawyer, to instruct the AVFPA to no longer use the images or names to promote its business and to disassociate themselves totally from the actions of the AVFPA Those ‘disaffected’ players are :
Ken McNaught, Peter Withe, Gordon Cowans, Colin Gibson, Nigel Spink, Gary Shaw, Tony Morley, Des Bremner, Allan Evans, Kenny Swain, Dennis Mortimer, Pat Heard, Jimmy Rimmer, Dave Geddis, Shaun Teale and of course myself, Stephen Staunton.
To see European Cup Winners, League Championship Winners, League Cup winners and proven full internationals referred to as ‘disaffected players’ is a slur on what we achieved and the support the wonderful public gave us. We have minds of our own and therefore have control over our own destiny. A full and unreserved apology is expected.
Lions & Legends do not take sides. Any ex player can approach us and if we can we help, we will. The same applies to all charities and good causes. I would like to ask anyone, not just the AVFPA, when did John Donnelly and John Pearson actually play for Aston Villa Football Club and in how many games?
The Stephen Staunton Foundation, supported by the Lions & Legends, held a considerable event in Marbella this year and raised 33,000 euros for Children with Cancer. None of the players or celebrities attending asked for any money and their travelling expenses were met by the Party hosted by the Lions & Legends last Christmas to cover the expenses of the ex-Aston Villa Players involved. The other ex-players and celebrities costs were covered by Blackstar Sports of Mayfair, with whom we closely work and who have been tremendous supporters of what we do.
The Marbella event was supported by no less than: Harry Redknapp, Ron Atkinson, comedian Stan Boardman, Niall Quinn, Aaron James, Dean Smith, Larry Lloyd, John Gidman, Kevin Moran, Ken McNaught, Gary Shaw, Gordon Cowans, singers Tres Divos and Mel Williams, as well of course myself. Apologies if anyone has been left off the list. The letter of recognition from CWC is available to anyone who would like a copy.
The Lions & Legends Christmas Party was supported and attended by : Andy Blair, Pat Heard, Kenny Swain, Colin Gibson, Peter Withe, Brendon Ormsby, Gordon Cowans, Tony Morley, Gary Shaw, Tony Daley, Nigel Spink, Garry Thompson, Mark Walters, Gavin Price, Martin Carruthers, Gary Williams, Shaun Teale, Brian Little myself and over 300 paying guests. I apologise if I have forgotten anyone, but you can clearly see the belief there is in what we do.
When Ken McNaught left AVFPA, many players, including me, wanted him to continue with what he had started at the AVFPA, promoting the interests of the ex-players and what they wished to see happen. Many of us pushed him into heading an association that allowed us a voice, both within Aston Villa Football Club and of course in public. With this knowledge, AVFPA wrote two legal letters to Ken in an attempt to stop him doing what we, the ex-players, wanted him to do.
It should also be noted that the AVFPA continued to use Ken’s image, without his permission, whilst pursuing him in this ridiculous action. Of course the letters had no substance – other than to cause upset for Ken and his family - and went no further. Was this acting in the best interests of a caring ex-player?
Ken was on a considerable salary with the AVFPA, plus expenses and a company car. He walked away from all of that to do what he believed - and many ex-players firmly believed - to be the ‘right thing’ for ex-players.
The club have been magnificent. They are not in judgement, but listen to what Lions & Legends have had to say and have supported all that Lions & Legends and my foundation have done and are doing. Because of our work with the club, ex-players now have an enhanced deal for match day appearances at the club and more is being worked upon together. Ken, Peter Withe, Gordon Cowans and I presented the prizes after the excellent Aston Villa Golf Day at the Forest of Arden last Tuesday.
Lions & Legends were also asked to attend a fun day to mark the retirement of Sir Mervin King from the Bank of England. They did, paid their own way and provided a team to play to help celebrate the day. Paul Faulkner ‘turned out’ alongside ex-players, but poses no threat to any current first team player!
Lions & Legends and the Stephen Staunton Foundation have worked hand in hand to enhance a number of high profile charity days. This year they have funded their own way to attend, The Bev Bevan Charity Day, the Tony Christie Charity day, St Mary’s Hospice Golf Day, Dreams Charity Day, Help Leukaemia event and more, as well as the many matches it has played for charities and good causes, supplying HIGH PROFILE ex-players and winners. L&L provided the team to play at Halesowen last November for the Stiliyan Petrov Day, attended by Stiliyan, Ashley Young and Gareth Barry.
You may have seen that both L&L and SSF were heavily involved in the Help Harry, Help others bike ride and football match last weekend. All associated are very proud of what we do and, we are having fun doing it.
Because of what has happened, we now intend to host an informal meet the ex-players event in the very near future. We will ‘post’ the details as soon as they are agreed and there will be the formal opportunity for you to ask what ever question you wish appertaining to the L&L / SSF activity. In the meantime, if there are any questions, please send them through.
The following events are all being staged at Aston Wood Golf Club, Blake Street, Sutton Coldfield, in the marquee there. Wonderful people and again tremendous supporters of what we do.;
There are a few tickets remaining for my Autumn Ball on the 18th October, with Sing Out Sisters, Stan Boardman a meal and a disco. The benefiting charities are the Dogs for the Disabled and the Norman Laud Association. We will all be supporting an event on the 22nd November, with the magnificent Tres Divos from Spain and the Lions & Legends Christmas Party will be on the 27th December this year. Details will be published as soon as finalised.
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
Best regards from all at Lions & Legends Association and the Stephen Staunton Foundation.

Stephen Staunton

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Villa Lions and Legends statement
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Just about to post this myself. Can anyone shed any light on what has transpired?

Online danno

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
Same article as above is here

http://www.lionsandlegends.co.uk/article.asp?a=972

its a little bit easier on the eyes.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
Christ this is bloody awful. Is Neil Rioch going to reply to Steve Stauntons letter. The Villa old stars have been going for over forty years without seemingly any problems. Does Dave have any inside info on this situation?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »
It's all a bit depressing. Which team does Balaban play for? I'll support them.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Staunton was always a moody bugger but its horrible to see dirty linen from the old boys being aired like this.

They all do it for a love of the club and charitable causes so it is not nice to see that become politicised.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
The AVFPA player age has got younger,maybe there is an ego problem or two!

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Very sad - please sort it out behind closed doors lads.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
Staunton was always a moody bugger but its horrible to see dirty linen from the old boys being aired like this.

They all do it for a love of the club and charitable causes so it is not nice to see that become politicised.

I'm sure that is true, but the implication from the words above might question that.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
This is getting very nasty on Facebook. Accusations are being made and it is not pretty.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
This is getting very nasty on Facebook. Accusations are being made and it is not pretty.

Sounds like Jeremy Kyle.

Offline ez

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
I have wondered why there are two different ex-villa players associations on the go.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 10:29:54 PM »
I have wondered why there are two different ex-villa players associations on the go.

Splitters!

Offline Colin B

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »
I Haven't read the article and don't intend to.

Aston Villa to me has always represented class and integrity.

Hopefully the two sides understand this and sort out their differences with the class the club has always shown

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
Christ this is bloody awful. Is Neil Rioch going to reply to Steve Stauntons letter. The Villa old stars have been going for over forty years without seemingly any problems. Does Dave have any inside info on this situation?

Only that it's been brewing for a long while and will be covered in the Mail tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal