collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent joins Fulham on loan (Reply #486)  (Read 119066 times)

Offline eastie

Darren Bent joins Fulham on loan (Reply #486)
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
By Darren Lewis | 15/05/13 

Darren Bent is ready to spark a stampede for his signature this summer by quitting Aston Villa.

The 29-year-old marksman, who has started just SEVEN Premier League games this season, has had enough of being frozen out.

Stoke were keen in January while Swansea, West Ham, Cardiff and Newcastle - all of whom will be looking to improve up front ahead of next season - will be interested.

Bent, who burst onto the England scene after scoring goals at Charlton, Spurs and Sunderland, said: "I'm going to have to take a long, hard look at it. My situation.

"It's no secret. I need to play football, I need to play games.

"I've enjoyed my time at Aston Villa and loved every minute of it. I've obviously got a good relationship with the fans and the football club.

"But it is about playing games and, at my age, I can't have another season like the one that I've had because time is running out.

"I've got two years after this one so I've still got a long time. But for me it's all about playing football matches and I'm not really one of these guys who wants to sit there, not do anything and then get paid.

"I want to play football. I want to contribute and enjoy playing. I won't ask to go but at the same time I have to sit down with the manager, the chairman and my agent and just go from there."

Boss Paul Lambert has preferred classy Christian Benteke, who has hit 19 League goals since signing for Villa for £7million last summer.

The Belgian's season is over, however, following a red card in the club's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea on Saturday. And even after Villa fell behind to Frank Lampard's double in that match, Lambert left Bent in the dug out.

It was particularly frustrating for the striker who believes there have been several games in which he could have come on and made a difference this season.

He added: "Every game you don't play in hurts that little bit more. It hurts when you're on the bench and come on - you're still hurting because you want to start.

"But it's nowhere near as bad as when you're sitting on the bench and you don't come on at all. That does hurt.

"I've not gone to see [the manager]. It's been a difficult situation, fighting relegation. The last thing I want to do is go in, kicking and screaming and stuff.

"We're all one team at the end of the day and it's not about one individual. But when it's the right time to talk about things, I'm sure I'll do that."

If Bent is not drafted in as a replacement for Sunday's game against Wigan - a match Villa have to win to guarantee safety - the decision will tell him a great deal about where he stands.

He went on: "I thought maybe I would have come on when [Benteke] was sent off but it wasn't meant to be.

"If I can get the nod [for next week] then hopefully it will be nice to play a part again.

" I'm working hard every day in training and I've been doing extra sessions in the gym and stuff. So if I'm called upon, yeah, I'm ready to go.

"All you can keep doing is training hard and if you get an opportunity take it."

Bent believed he would be forming a formidable partnership WITH Benteke once the Belgian found his feet in English football.

He said: "Yeah. At one stage I thought that. He was a big guy and it looked as if the partnership would form.

"But it's not meant to be. I don't quite know why it's not happened but for that question I guess, for that question, you're asking the wrong person really.

Update
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:34:47 AM by Legion »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Darren bent unsettled?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
Best if he moves on, for all concerned. He did well  under Houllier, but has been to stop start since then.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »
'Unsettled?' I think 'gone' would be more accurate.

Offline eastie

Re: Darren bent hints at leaving!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
'Unsettled?' I think 'gone' would be more accurate.

Point taken and noted.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
Fair enough, very diplomatic of him.

Compare his attitude to some of our other senior, overpaid wasters who are happy to draw a huge wage for no effort. He sounds like he just wants to play football.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
For me he is a decent guy who hasn't rocked the boat too much. Also a very good goalscorer, but the fact is in our best system/best eleven he wouldn't be included. The fact PL doesn't even use him much as an impact sub says everything. I am convinced Bowery will get the nod ahead of him at the weekend. It will be interesting to see who will spend the fee and wages for him. Fulham, Stoke or Southampton maybe? Or West Ham if they don't get Carroll or Watford if they come up?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Darren bent to leave?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
Credit to him for leaving it until we are safe. Wish him well, shame he didn't fit because he is a great finisher.

Offline eastie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
Credit to him for leaving it until we are safe. Wish him well, shame he didn't fit because he is a great finisher.

Agree with this. He is a decent finisher but doesn't fit the style that lambert plays, bent thrives on service from the widemen, his goals probably saved us in the houllier era and i wish him well for the future.

Benteke has more facets to his game whereas bent is a finisher more than anything else - i would be looking for at least £10m if not more.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
The great 'if only' player of recent years. If only we'd signed him instead of Heskey.

Good luck Darren.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
I don't think it would be a stampede,more like a very slow walk.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
Shame he's off. I would have like have seen more of him with Benteke. Ah well.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
blimey eastie, disappointed in you son. This is being discussed in the transfer thread which you voluntarily help moderate

Offline eastie

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
blimey eastie, disappointed in you son. This is being discussed in the transfer thread which you voluntarily help moderate

Apologies , was unaware of that - been off there for a while  tv.
Probably worthy of its own thread due to the quotes from bent himself though.

Offline villalion

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »
Fair play to him, he doesn't feally fit into what pl is doing, so I wish him well, he is a good striker and lets not forget some of his goals when we signed him were instrumental in keeping us in the prem. Good luck db.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Would have probably got relegated without him in his first season. Always been a fan of his, it's just turned out to be the wrong club at the wrong time. Had O'Neill signed him instead of Heskey we might well have got Champions League that season. He's largely been very professional whilst being out of the side and I much prefer to see a football desperate to play football than someone who's happy just to take the money. Hope we get the right deal for him and best of luck to him in future (apart from when he plays against us obviously).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal