collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Reflections on Conference League by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:00:58 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:58:33 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:02:31 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool Pre Match Thread by Ads
[Today at 01:28:42 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 01:20:02 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 01:18:07 AM]

Re: Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:08:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:07:53 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What System at Corners and Free Kicks?  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
Re: What System at Corners and Free Kicks?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »
defending at corners isn't about what system is used, its about defenders taking responsibility.  Either for the man or the zone that they are responsible for. 

Can you pass this on to Concrete Ron. Or to PL for that matter...

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
defending at corners isn't about what system is used, its about defenders taking responsibility.  Either for the man or the zone that they are responsible for. 

But they've proved time and time again that they're crap at man-marking, so for me it's a simple question of which system concedes less goals?

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »

But they've proved time and time again that they're crap at man-marking, so for me it's a simple question of which system concedes less goals?

But if they are not taking responsibility for the, why would they do that for the zone.  We need someone who attacks the ball like Laursen once did.

Lambert needs to show Vlaar and Clark a video of how he did it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »

But if they are not taking responsibility for the, why would they do that for the zone.  We need someone who attacks the ball like Laursen once did.

Lambert needs to show Vlaar and Clark a video of how he did it.

No need for a video, Laursen could just tell them. "I and my fellow defenders were not responsible for marking anybody. We each took up a position along the six-yard line and attacked the ball. It's called zonal coverage".

Sadly the last three managers have abandoned this hugely successful system because of a dogmatic belief in something that has failed for three years with every defender we've had.

Offline atticus snood

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
Don't you just get in front of their players and head the ball out?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
When we did zonal we were the best team in the Premier League at defending corners. When we changed to man-marking, the same defenders became fucking rubbish at it.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »
It's down to concentration I reckon. As OCD says, we defended 14 successfully but cocked up at the end. That's where experience comes in, somebody to organise and remind people of their jobs. It's uncanny that we've had the same issue under 3 managers but when Dunne and Collins were together, whatever other limitations they might have had, we were solid on set pieces. Having a Carew or Heskey at the front post also helped, as a lot of balls were cut out before they even reached the danger area.

Which is where I would have Benteke. Stood on the line at the edge of the 6 yard box and told to screen anything in that area.

Weimann actually did it for the corner in the 97th minute and cleared an identical ball to the goal straight out - all very frustrating.

I agree though it is about experience and concentration. Vlaar was arguing just before the corner about the decision to award it. That mini break in concentration and Fellani is in.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
When we did zonal we were the best team in the Premier League at defending corners. When we changed to man-marking, the same defenders became fucking rubbish at it.

Spot on. We were great at it. Now we can't do it for shit. Line em up in a string and attack the ball no matter who is where.

Offline PONGO49

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
It's down to concentration I reckon. As OCD says, we defended 14 successfully but cocked up at the end. That's where experience comes in, somebody to organise and remind people of their jobs. It's uncanny that we've had the same issue under 3 managers but when Dunne and Collins were together, whatever other limitations they might have had, we were solid on set pieces. Having a Carew or Heskey at the front post also helped, as a lot of balls were cut out before they even reached the danger area.

Which is where I would have Benteke. Stood on the line at the edge of the 6 yard box and told to screen anything in that area.

Weimann actually did it for the corner in the 97th minute and cleared an identical ball to the goal straight out - all very frustrating.

I agree though it is about experience and concentration. Vlaar was arguing just before the corner about the decision to award it. That mini break in concentration and Fellani is in.

Heskey done the same job, on the corner of the 6 yard box, knock away anything short.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
any friggin one that works!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
Fuck me it's not hard. There's one ball. Forget looking at the man, just look at the fucking ball and win it. Just win the bastard ball. Session ends.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 09:31:22 PM »
Our players currently don't have it i; them to keep following other players. I just don't understand why we don't go for zonal, as so many have said, just go win the bloody thing.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Try not to give so may daft free kicks away for a start.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »
Fuck me I'd love to be spy if our defence were following me.

Offline rutski

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
i will go with the one from today, keeper come and get what you can without being irresponsible, midfielders stay on your feet longer, defenders get your heads on the ball and head it away lots. hows that for a plan??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal