collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Return of O'Neill - divided opinion  (Read 163109 times)

Online rob_bridge

Re: Return of O'Neill - divided opinion
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »
Well I hope such abuse inspires our team to win a crucial game and I will applaud your contribution albeit somewhat cynically.

Obviously if it turns out to be counter-productive I'd like to know your subsequent thoughts.

Dunno why an ex manager can generate such a hatred amongst minority of our fans.  If it was Tommy Docherty or Billy McNeill maybe I could based on their relegation records.

Probably the farces that have happened since he left which if the club was run properly in the last 12 months of his reign and shortly after  would have been righted within 6 months. And not by hiring a clueless buffoon who thought Domenech was a good choice for France in W/C 2010.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »
Bloody Axl. What a load of old shit. We need 7 points? No we do don't. Best manager we have had in years? How many years? He threw more cash at it than any other I can recall and we didn't win anything.

And as for the petulant spouting at all and sundry associated with the club, I give up.

Its shit at the minute I grant you but I have had it up to the back teeth in the last few days with ever more illiterate posters desperately trying to do outdo each other as to how its "even worse" in their opinion and on every fucking thread.

Are there questions to be answered? Without a doubt, some serious soul searching is required at this club in the summer.

But when we are discussing the return of Pube Head, does it really require another anti McLeish, anti Houllier, anti coaching staff, anti Board or anti Scouting whinge?

Bloody cheltenham-what a load of old shit from yourself too. Yes, in my opinion, he is the best manager we have had in the last 10 years, which is a long time in football. I am not illiterate and absolutely love Aston Villa. Why not rant about all of these people who have brought misery and constant anti this and anti that threads. Why not? I am sure you never delve into such delights.

Sheffield Villain-why is what I am saying out of context? What a drab response. Boring

I apologise for having an opinion that you do not agree with.
Get over it-it's my opinion. You have had yours and here is mine. I could not care less about your views when you just want to attack a fellow fan who is simply fed up with how the club is being ran

Explain to me where I attacked you?

The thread is about the reception Martin O'Neill will get.

Explain to me where 'McLeish - wank manager. twat. fuck him too' or 'Houllier is a liverpool cock sucking twat. fuck him' or 'McLeish, Faulkner and even Randy - you're twats. Now please fuck off' are relevant to the reception Martin O'Neill will get.

You don't need to apologise for having an opinion that I disagree with. To be honest, I didn't actually question your opinion anyway. I questioned the need for it on this thread, and the continuous unneccessary vitriolic hate-filled language you used to express it.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked. That was not my intention. I hope your feelings recover soon.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:17:15 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2012, 02:00:35 AM »
Daily Express

READY FOR RED FACES AT ASTON VILLA

Thursday April 19,2012
By Graham Taylor

IT COULD all be quite embarrassing at Villa Park on Saturday. There will be a lot of attention on the two managers, Alex McLeish and Martin O’Neill, and it wouldn’t surprise me if home boss Alex does not receive anything like the reception the Sunderland supremo gets when the pair walk out.

And that could be difficult for everybody.

O’Neill is the man who put Aston Villa in the top six for three straight seasons. They’d love that right now as they are desperate for a win at the other end of the table. The club have been in decline ever since he left nearly two years ago and, as someone close to them, that hurts me.

When Randy Lerner took over he said all the right things about turning Villa into a Champions League side and having a five-year plan to do that. Martin was given responsibility for all football matters and things went well. But then the spending got a bit out of hand and the problems started.

As I understand it, things came to a head when James Milner was sold to Manchester City. O’Neill allegedly saw that as football business and believed the money should come back to him to reinvest in the squad. But, as far as Lerner was concerned, that money had to go in to address the overall financial situation because of the overspend.

The two fell out and Martin left, nine months later agreeing a settlement. Gerard Houllier was appointed after years out of the Premier League. He brought a different philosophy to training and playing but the team were not as successful as they had been under Martin. The new manager did not think the players were fit enough and wanted afternoon training sessions, which didn’t go down well.

Gerard was moved on – and that is usually the case; it’s hard to move on all the players, so it’s often the manager who pays the price.

So Villa were looking for a new manager again. Steve McClaren was on the short list, but after protests on club chat-sites, was told not to come for interview because so many fans opposed his appointment. That was terrible. It was wrong to treat him in that manner. There were 10 times as many comments on the internet about not taking McLeish from Birmingham, but Villa went ahead and did so – strange after the way they had treated Steve.

Alex is a good man and a good manager; but to step across from St Andrews is not easy. And it gave Villa fans a lot to grumble about.

Their club listened to them about McClaren, but not about McLeish. That has unsettled a lot of fans and their belief in the owners. There used to be a lot of support for Lerner but that is dwindling and we don’t hear much from him any more.

The fans know Alex has far less money to spend than Martin had. But his top buy, Charles N’Zogbia, has not been at the races, and the style of football is not exciting enough for supporters. McLeish is accused of putting out teams set up not to lose rather than to win; but fans would rather lose 3-2 than 1-0.

Villa are in a perilous position and while I don’t think they’ll be relegated, they are in danger. The word ‘big’ is used for a lot of clubs, but Villa really were ‘big; however, they’re in danger of losing that even if they stay up.

How ironic that O’Neill, the man who took them into the top six and a final at Wembley, could be the man who sends them into deeper turmoil this weekend.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2012, 02:38:34 AM »
Daily Express

Thursday April 19,2012
By Graham Taylor

IT COULD all be quite embarrassing at Villa Park on Saturday. There will be a lot of attention on the two managers, Alex McLeish and Martin O’Neill, and it wouldn’t surprise me if home boss Alex does not receive anything like the reception the Sunderland supremo gets when the pair walk out.

O’Neill is the man who put Aston Villa in the top six for three straight seasons. They’d love that right now as they are desperate for a win at the other end of the table. The club have been in decline ever since he left nearly two years ago and, as someone close to them, that hurts me.

When Randy Lerner took over he said all the right things about turning Villa into a Champions League side and having a five-year plan to do that. Martin was given responsibility for all football matters and things went well. But then the spending got a bit out of hand and the problems started.

As I understand it, things came to a head when James Milner was sold to Manchester City. O’Neill allegedly saw that as football business and believed the money should come back to him to reinvest in the squad. But, as far as Lerner was concerned, that money had to go in to address the overall financial situation because of the overspend.

The two fell out and Martin left, nine months later agreeing a settlement. Gerard Houllier was appointed after years out of the Premier League. He brought a different philosophy to training and playing but the team were not as successful as they had been under Martin. The new manager did not think the players were fit enough and wanted afternoon training sessions, which didn’t go down well.

Gerard was moved on – and that is usually the case; it’s hard to move on all the players, so it’s often the manager who pays the price.

So Villa were looking for a new manager again. Steve McClaren was on the short list, but after protests on club chat-sites, was told not to come for interview because so many fans opposed his appointment. That was terrible. It was wrong to treat him in that manner. There were 10 times as many comments on the internet about not taking McLeish from Birmingham, but Villa went ahead and did so – strange after the way they had treated Steve.

Alex is a good man and a good manager; but to step across from St Andrews is not easy. And it gave Villa fans a lot to grumble about.

Their club listened to them about McClaren, but not about McLeish. That has unsettled a lot of fans and their belief in the owners. There used to be a lot of support for Lerner but that is dwindling and we don’t hear much from him any more.

The fans know Alex has far less money to spend than Martin had. But his top buy, Charles N’Zogbia, has not been at the races, and the style of football is not exciting enough for supporters. McLeish is accused of putting out teams set up not to lose rather than to win; but fans would rather lose 3-2 than 1-0.

Villa are in a perilous position and while I don’t think they’ll be relegated, they are in danger. The word ‘big’ is used for a lot of clubs, but Villa really were ‘big; however, they’re in danger of losing that even if they stay up.

How ironic that O’Neill, the man who took them into the top six and a final at Wembley, could be the man who sends them into deeper turmoil this weekend.

Can't argue with that!

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:02 AM »
Daily Express

Thursday April 19,2012
By Graham Taylor

This is a myth generated by McLaren's agent to cover up for what really happened, but otherwise that's a pretty good summary

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
I think the two managers will get similar receptions, other than that its all fair enough.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
How will anyone tell? Booing is booing - the media will read what they like into it!

Alex McLeish has managed to get most of the way through the season without too much anti McLeish chanting, but I think he will get more if we are losing on Saturday. Likewise expect "Martin Martin Whats the score?" if we're winning.

I do expect divided opinions to the point of fights breaking out in the crowd on Saturday though. I particularly look forward to half the crowd singing for him to give us a wave, and the other half booing him when he does.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
Talking to a bloke at the station this morning about this. He likes O'Neill but said that, when he met him at a forum in Longbridge when he first came, O'Neill said "you will hate me in five years."
Interesting statement!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
Talking to a bloke at the station this morning about this. He likes O'Neill but said that, when he met him at a forum in Longbridge when he first came, O'Neill said "you will hate me in five years."
Interesting statement!

It didn't take us that long, did it?

Offline Merv

« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
[quote author=Californian Villain link=topic=46676.msg2021826#msg2021826
This is a myth generated by McLaren's agent to cover up for what really happened, but otherwise that's a pretty good summary
[/quote]

I've always thought that too - a lot of fans weren't happy that McClaren was linked; many, many fans were furious about McLeish. I always thought Villa dropped McClaren from the shortlist once they realised McLeish would be available.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
[quote author=Californian Villain link=topic=46676.msg2021826#msg2021826

I've always thought that too - a lot of fans weren't happy that McClaren was linked; many, many fans were furious about McLeish. I always thought Villa dropped McClaren from the shortlist once they realised McLeish would be available.
[/quote]

I don't think McClaren was ever seriously in the frame.

Offline Merv

« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
No, it was all a bit of a strange affair, that whole McClaren thing. If I didn't know better...
no. I'll leave it.

Back to the piece by SGT - a very good summary of the situation, I'd say. Only thing I'd question is O'Neill's reception; I think it'll be more mixed than he thinks.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
"Big Fat Ron's Claret n Blue Army" going throughout the game would put them both in their place, and "Brian Little walks on water".

Although it's probably more important we all just get behind our young lads on the pitch.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
Mclaren wasn't high on the list but not sure how they didn't feel the need to interview him to dismiss him and yet hired McLiesh

Offline NiiLamptey

« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
MON did good job with the resources Randy made available...

But he walked out becasue the bubble had burst...

We would of still had to sell Milner, Young, Downing etc If MON was in charge today with the resources now available, where do we think we would be in the league?

I think we would be better organised and we still have pace... so surely be around 8th?

MON Made teh mess, dont think he had to jump ship though, as he does get the most out of a team and we do have good youngsters coming through...

I dont like the man for what he has doen and I shall be booing...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal