collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:11:08 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:11:07 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 03:09:32 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 03:06:38 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by johnc
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 03:04:58 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:43 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:01:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll  (Read 1989324 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll
« Reply #5415 on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »

It is pretty clear that Ancelotti is out though due to the contract thing with Chelsea, and we are not going to pay Ancelotti the £6m to break that.

Ozzjim are you 100% on the contract thing? It was being reported last week that Chelski had put that clause in but Ancelotti had managed to negotiate it out before signing

It was in the press yesterday wasn't it? May be just as much shite as the press spout about all else, but was being mooted when he left too, and ties in with his year off on a learning trip around the world. He was hardly going to say I am having a year off to sit on my arse and enjoy the 6 million Roman has handed me to do so was he? Although that would have been a much better and truthful statement!

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #5416 on: June 12, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »
The board have made a rod for their own back, by being gentlemen and sending nice requests out to other clubs they have left themselves wide open. This again shows a lack of knowledge of the business of prem football, players are tapped up all the time and so are managers to think otherwise is silly, if you are the only chairman in the league doing the right thing you will get trod on. They cannot sign a nonentity now too much time has been lost and there are too many season tickets to be lost.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #5417 on: June 12, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
Corals have apparently suspended betting on it.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #5418 on: June 12, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
What's the word on Grayson? Is he that promising? What system does he play? What style of football etc?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5419 on: June 12, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »

Bookies often do close markets overnight and on Sundays.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5420 on: June 12, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »
Because Fulham had kept in touch and spoken to him on a monthly basis all season, kept him sweet and appointed him, almost as if they were planning on Hughes buggering off.

Doesn't matter that Jol had been in touch a season ago, and I very much doubt they (Fulham) where knocking up Jol all this last season behind the back of Hughes, and worth mentioning Fulham did all they could to keep Hughes, they didn't want to lose him, it was Hughes that didn't want to know.

Fact is Fulham moved fast, they clearly would have had other candidates as soon as Hughes made his position clear, but Fulham wanted Jol, and got him, and are we saying there are no managers out there with previous that have as such been on Villa radar previously, now a potential candidate, also Jol was available long before Hughes left Fulham.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #5421 on: June 12, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »

Grayson came all the way in to favourite yesterday and is not back out at 14/1 at lowest. Really is an odd market. Is see the NOWT and Mercury running McLeish has pushed him close to evens.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #5422 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:05 PM »
Because Fulham had kept in touch and spoken to him on a monthly basis all season, kept him sweet and appointed him, almost as if they were planning on Hughes buggering off.

Doesn't matter that Jol had been in touch a season ago, and I very much doubt they (Fulham) where knocking up Jol all this last season behind the back of Hughes, and worth mentioning Fulham did all they could to keep Hughes, they didn't want to lose him, it was Hughes that didn't want to know.

Fact is Fulham moved fast, they clearly would have had other candidates as soon as Hughes made his position clear, but Fulham wanted Jol, and got him, and are we saying there are no managers out there with previous that have as such been on Villa radar previously, now a potential candidate, also Jol was available long before Hughes left Fulham.

There was a quote from Jol I think saying Fulham had kept in touch after Ajax refused the move last year. It was nailed on for him.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5423 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
The board have made a rod for their own back, by being gentlemen and sending nice requests out to other clubs they have left themselves wide open. This again shows a lack of knowledge of the business of prem football, players are tapped up all the time and so are managers to think otherwise is silly, if you are the only chairman in the league doing the right thing you will get trod on. They cannot sign a nonentity now too much time has been lost and there are too many season tickets to be lost.

In one respect this is the point, although IMO its more a question of getting stuck in and getting in sorted and getting on with the job of what the new managers plan is and who he wants in his new squad and game plan rather than a lack of knowledge thing.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5424 on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
Rijkaard's odds are shortening and even Pulis has entered the fray, although a long way out.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #5425 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »

It was open until about 15 minutes ago, then suspended.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5426 on: June 12, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Rijkaard's odds are shortening and even Pulis has entered the fray, although a long way out.

I think I'd give up if it was Pulis, don't need Villa playing that filth.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5427 on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »

There was a quote from Jol I think saying Fulham had kept in touch after Ajax refused the move last year. It was nailed on for him.

Thats a hell of a statement from Jol, i don't doubt for a minute they must have been in touch while it was all on going at that point in history, and i don't doubt that Fulham fancied him, but its a definate fact that Fulham tried to keep Hughes, Hughes said so and so did the club, so its no that cut and dry that Fulham where happy for Hughes to go and had Jol there of the shelf to step in.

Still have to say Jol as been hanging about for months, not saying Villa want or wanted him, but its just amazes me that Villa where never an option, and he simpy steps into the Fulham job, put this way...........................

Is the Fulham job more attractive than taking up the Villa post and did Villa even look in his direction.......

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #5428 on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:24 PM »
I definitely prefer Grayson as an option to Mcleish or Curbishley. At least there is potential to improve there.
Agreed Paul. But would we really be happy with ANY of these? I know I wouldn't. Have we all lowered our standards because the press are just pulling names out of a hat and having a laugh at us and our club?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #5429 on: June 12, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
These two shouldn't mentioned in the same sentence should they? Just goes to show the game the press and bookies are playing with the whole thing and using it to create a bit of business for themselves.
( Out of interest i see Rijkaard's as our kind of calibre, Pulis not!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal